RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Generators...why the difference in $ ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generators...why the difference in $ ?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/12 01:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reddog1 wrote:

I see so many people with more than 2000 watt generators. Many have twins. In most cases, I do not see the need. What do they run to need over 2000 watts?
Other than running the A/C while boondocking, I don't see the need for a generator at all. All of the weekend warrior types don't need one. Everything minus the A/C can be run from batteries. And no generator is quieter than my batteries.

* This post was edited 01/12/12 01:47pm by mena661 *

2009 Newmar Canyon Star 3205, Ford F53 V10
Trojan L16 6V's 740 Amp-hours

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/12 04:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't seem to get my microwave going on one 2000. It might be because the charger is also drawing power. But I have tried turning off the charger and still have problems.

ERS

bradyk

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/12 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Champion 2000 and so do a couple of buddys. We find as mentioned above put your fridge to gas from auto and also check your charger especially if your batteries are low as it is also probably drawing a lot of your power if it is running. Find the breaker and turn it off while you run your microwave.

2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog
16 Foot Renken Fishing boat

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/12 04:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ExRocketScientist wrote:

I can't seem to get my microwave going on one 2000. It might be because the charger is also drawing power. But I have tried turning off the charger and still have problems.

ExRocket,
Had the same problem with my EU2000, and found the answer on this forum. When on propane, turn the fridge to GAS, not auto. I did that and it solved the problem nicely. Give it a try.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/12 04:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll have to try it with nothing else. Should be real easy because the microwave just plugs into a receptacle inside of a cabinet. I can plug it into an extension cord, run it out the door and plug it into the end of the Honda.

Thanks for the advice.

JiminDenver

Denver, Co

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/12 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reddog1 wrote:

JiminDenver wrote:

Wow

No matter the situation, some people just think my life would be better with a Honda in it.

JinD
They are correct, your life would be better with a Honda in it. It will go on without the Honda, but will be louder, among other things.

I see so many people with more than 2000 watt generators. Many have twins. In most cases, I do not see the need. What do they run to need over 2000 watts? If it is the A/C, most could simply replace the A/C with a 9000 series Polar Cub. If the must have a 13500 btu A/C, there are many that can operate efficiently on 2000 watts, especially those with capacitor upgrade kits. Both methods are cheaper than a second generator, use less fuel and require less maintenance.

I understand there are RV's that must have more than 2000 watts. I will admit, with my 2000 watt generator I must turn the A/C off to run the microwave, but only do that a few times a year.

Wayne

Hmmm lets see

Buy the Honda's and listen to one run near every day to charge my single battery and be out $2000 plus

or

Buy the Champion for $300

Buy a extra battery for $100

Buy basic solar for $500 to cover OUR needs.

Rarely listen to the generator run to recharge and never the other half complaining that I spent two grand on generators.

So unless I need my AC, which will ramp up a Honda anyways, I wont be running the Champ at all.

I think some Honda owners may be better off buying the Champion and following my lead. Solar is quieter and you'd still have $1200 in your pocket. Otherwise it might be ME coming over to ask YOU to shut down YOUR Honda.

Noise is noise right?

BTW Where we camp no one will hear the Champion run unless they cramp us, then the Schnauzers will drive them off long before the Champion will. (at least I hope)

JinD

* This post was last edited 01/12/12 09:01pm by JiminDenver *   View edit history

2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2007/2003 Ford Expedition
490w solar with dual Eco-worthy controllers.
345 ah bank.
Champion 3500/4000 w/ remote start.

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/12 10:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JiminDenver, it appears to me that you are convinced as to what you need/want. I really question that you are taking peoples suggestions seriously, unless they agree with what you have decided. Not much need for more discussion as to options and pros and cons. I truly hope you make the choice that is best for you needs. Personally, I can't think of anything else to offer. I am looking forward to your follow up post, especially on your $500 solar and $100 battery. As for following your led, many of us have been where you are. You are trying to reinvent the wheel, in my opinion. We have learned better, and are seriously trying to share our experience. You are entitled to make the same mistakes we did, and and based on your post, I think you will.

Wayne

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/12 11:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mena661 wrote:

Reddog1 wrote:

We have learned better, and are seriously trying to share our experience.
And with your experience you still haven't learned that one size does not fit all? I think I'd rather follow the idiots. LOL!
I really do not see anything in my post that says one size fits all. As for your following idiots, you probably will. With maybe one exception, I do not think any idiots have posted. I do appreciate your not putting me in that group, based on your posts. Thanks.

Wayne

mena661

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/12 10:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reddog1 wrote:

We have learned better, and are seriously trying to share our experience.
And with your experience you still haven't learned that one size does not fit all? I think I'd rather follow the idiots. LOL!

ExRocketScientist

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/12 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just realized an implication of the difference in price. In some jurisdictions, when a generator is stolen, it is a difference between a felony and a misdemeanor. Stealing the Honda is a felony -- the Champion is a misdemeanor.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generators...why the difference in $ ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS