|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Meat Smokers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
ventrman

Dickson, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/12 04:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gman22 wrote:

OK....so recently I've got a real itch to get into smoking....no not tobacco, and not whacky tobacy.......MEAT. A pal at work and some camping buddies smoke regularly and over the years I've have enjoyed the "meats" of their labour.

Sooooo I'm looking at the Bradley original electric smoker or perhaps a Weber Smokey Mountain (char-coal). The Bradley seems hard to beat with the whole set-it forget-it type operation, but there is something to be said about the char-coal flavour combined with wood....a bit more work perhaps but perhaps more flavour?????

So I assume there must be some seasoned (no pun intended) smokers here. Any thoughts, experiences you can share good or bad?

Thanks in advance.

I have used Alton Brown's Clay Pot Smoker with a Hotplate for Heat, with wonderful Results. You can buy about everything you need for less than $50.

God Bless!

New Vision

South Central Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Great Outdoor Smokey Mountain propane. It is simple to use large enough to fix large meals for several people. Only downfall I see with the Bradley is the cost of the pucks. If you are looking at electrics look at Masterbuilts. The Weber gets very high ratings. Check out Smoking Meat Forums.

I O W A !!! G O H A W K S !!!
2010 Keystone Outback Sydney 32FRL 5th Wheel
2005 Ford F350 Superduty Supercrew SRW 6.0 liter PSD
Curt 16K

Lady Fitzgerald

Tempe, AZ, USA, Earth

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 02:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've always wondered about smoked herring. Which end do you light and which end do you suck on?

Jeannie

ventrman

Dickson, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/12 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lady Fitzgerald wrote:

I've always wondered about smoked herring. Which end do you light and which end do you suck on?

LOL, Good one Jeannie. That is funny, no matter who you are!

IDman

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 12:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Traeger pellet smoker and love it! Since it burns wood pellets, you don't have any unusual tastes cooked into meat. I looked at a lot of different ones and wanted one that I didn't have to squat or bend to use. Many of the brands are built low to ground and would not have been easy for me. With Traeger, you can have digital temp. controls, timers, etc. I don't, as I have smoke, medium, or high. Works great! Smoked an 8 pound brisket in 20 degree weather Sunday and was perfect. Check out Traeger.

bowtiebill

Fillmore, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/12 02:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I do not think you could go wrong with a Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM).
I do Competition BBQ's, many winning teams use the WSM's. They are very easy to use, once loaded they hold temp for many hours. If you want to get fancy, you could add a Stoker or a Guru draft device to have even more control over temps, but for home use I do not know if they are needed.
Personally, I am a "stick burner", I use a Klose trailer mounted offset pit. I also have a ProQ, which is similar to a WSM, which I use for small quanities. I do want to add a 22.5" WSM to my collection soon.
Good luck,
Bill

Bill, Sherry, & Riley
2005 Gulfstream Super C

Gman22

Burlington, Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/12 03:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks bowtie (and all). I've been reading over at a forum.......smokerring IIRC......man like you Bowtie there are some dudes over there that are SERIOUS about smoking...I feel like such a noob there, but lots of good info.

2011 KZ Spree 220KS
2006 Ford Expedition Ltd. 5.4 L/3.73

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Meat Smokers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: