|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Taking frozen meat thru Canada

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/12 04:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidKaye wrote:

I have lost count of how many times we have crossed into Canada. I have never been asked about any food, meat or other. When in Canada we will go to US sometimes and do some shopping. We always tell them if we have any meat, dairy etc....never ever an issue. More than 20 years of visiting Canada with RV.

Taking it into Alaska may be an issue.

Sidney

Same here. We've brought both fresh and frozen meat both ways without an issue. The clamp- down on beef and poultry has long been gone. The Customs advice to us during a spot check last September was not to exceed 50-lbs of meat for personal use.

As previously mentioned, give them a call or send an email. This is the email address that I use when I'm looking for info; they usually reply within 24-hrs.
contact@cbsa.gc.ca

Eric
2009 Holiday Rambler Admiral 33SFS (34' 3")
2014 Enterra 314RES (Cruiser RV) TT, Honda 2000 Genny
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Short Bed, 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed auto, 4x4, Line-X
FQCC/Camping Quebec, KOA, Good Sam

ausie607

white lake

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 07:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Frozen meat is not an issue. Plants, fruit and vegetables (fresh) may be a problem in some Provinces.

** I neglected to mention, itemize the type of meats, weight of the meat and make sure to say its destination is AK.

* This post was edited 01/11/12 08:08am by ausie607 *

OldGreaser

South Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice from the poster who suggested to call Canada Customs. You're going to cross into the U.S. to complete your trip so I would suggest contacting them as well to get up to date info. Back in August we were told we could not bring the following items into the U.S.
-Lamb, sheep or goat meat (no distinction of frozen vs fresh)
-Peppers, or any citrus fruit
Everything else was ok, but this was verbal from a U.S. customs agent at one particular crossing. We went ahead and made a written inventory and handed it to the agent when we crossed. It's always better to declare and maybe lose a $10 item than to pay a significant fine.

jmcarp

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/12 10:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems to be the consensus of opinion that he won't have a problem taking the meat into Canada, but everyone seems to have overlooked the fact that once in Canada, he still has to cross back into the US at the Alaskan border. This might be a problem. Perhaps the solution is to pack the meat in dry ice and mail or ship it to his destination in Alaska.

Jim

'04 Provan Tiger CX

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 11:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fresh of anything is more of a problem typically, than is cooked or frozen. Sure the OP's son has some reason for taking meat to Alaska. Taking meat to Canada, is akin to hauling your own coal to Pittsburgh or hauling your own hot wings to Buffalo. The Canadian prairie provinces have some of the finest beef available anywhere in North America or the world for that matter. For a beef eater, the steak houses of Alberta are enough to make a person drool just thinking about them.
Cooked or frozen, seldom have been a problem. Back when we were having the "mad cow disease" scare, it was a problem but hasn't been in a number of years. The standard questions will relate to, where are you a citizen of, purpose of visit to Canada, length of planned stay in Canada (they want a specific answer, such as two weeks, but never heard of anyone checking on it),and the ATF questions. (alcohol, tobacco and firearms) Just be honest, don't elaborate on your answers, let the driver do the talking unless a passenger is asked a question directly by the customs officer. Normally the night before we cross the border, I will hard boil any eggs we have, cook any fresh potatoes, eat any fresh veggies(even if shipped to the US from Canada) etc. Then we will stop at the first town of any size in Canada and restock for a week or so on groceries, pick up some Canadian money from an ATM machine and head on down the road.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2011 Chevy 3500 DRW Dmax CC 4X4- Rockwood 8281 SS 5th Whl & 2008 Lance 845 TC
www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

bradyk

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming into Canada is not a problem for meat or going the other way at the moment. Saying thatif a mad cow scare comes up they can slap a closure on it in a second as we have seen at the border many times as we go back and forth a lot. Watch most of your fruits and some veggies as well as they are mostly on the no list. The other area that is a funny one mentioned earlier is the goat and lamb meat. Not so much for us but we have had our dog food checked for content as well. The food we use does not have it but a few times U.S. customs has told us if it has it listed it would be going in the big garbage can.

2001 Chevrolet 2500hd Silverado LT 4x4 6.0L/4.10
2005 KZ Outdoorsmen 2605PF
Champion 4000W Generator
Champion 2000W Generator
Ken & Sandra
Yugi Dog, Jet Dog
16 Foot Renken Fishing boat

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/12 05:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We travel into the US quite a bit and we have had veggies taken from us. US customs & agriculture have told me that if the veggies are in the bags that they were sold in and have stated on the bags that they are a product of Canada or the US then they are good to go. I have also been told by US Customs and agriculture that 50 pounds of meat is also good to go, except if it is wild game, goat and whatever else has been stated in previous posts. I call US customs in May of each year as that's when we start camping in the US. Again the OP is going from the US into Canada and then back into the US. We have never been asked by Canadian customs about food we may be carrying when reentering Canada.Always asked on the US side of the border. Have fun and enjoy.

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

Luke Porter

National Director

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/12 07:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back during the beef scare years I stopped at US Customs when leaving the US. They put a sticker an every package of beef and dog food. Also gave me a written statement that it was all from the US.

Of course, no one else was interested in the beef on the rest of the trip.

Yep, actually drove to all of these places---in the last eight years. Missed Rhode Island and New Jersey.

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/12 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to ICE, you can not bring any meat or vegetables (fresh, frozen, canned, no matter) into the US from either Canada or Mexico. What you can actually get away with depends on the officer and the day. With the BCE (mad cow) scare, they got a lot tougher about meat. By the way, even if it is canned and was canned in the US, it is still not allowed. This make planning and provisioning for a cross border excursion a whole lot more interesting.

Matt Colie

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dog going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/13/12 10:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Matt Colie, the last time we were in Michigan was last October. As I have previously stated I call US Customs and ask what we can bring with us and it has been the same answer since the mad cow debacle ended. I have never dealt with ICE knowingly but have dealt with US Customs and also their agriculture people. Actually it was an agriculture person who inspected the fridge in the trailer for the veggies and sometimes the US customs officer will transfer me over to agriculture when I call. I go with what Customs and Agriculture tell me.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Taking frozen meat thru Canada
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS