|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class 'c' Chassis opinion

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jf44 wrote:

TO RON DITTMER Looking to buy 95' to 2000, 25' to 28', and probably tow a bass boat sometimes.
Now that makes a difference.

Any GM chassis with the big V8 engine should suffice in the 25 foot length, but may not at the 28 foot length. Watch your chassis load limitations. The Ford E450 chassis will be more capable but unsure if actually needed at the shorter 25 foot length. The E350 then would do well.

Consider the newer the Ford, the better. When first introduced in 1997 the Triton-V10 engine had less power and some spark plug threading issues that were improved in 2000, but really cleaned up nicely in 2004. Prior to the Triton engine (older than 1997) that old phased out engine had more laundry yet, exhaust manifold issues for one.

It sounds like I am bashing the Ford, but it is a reliable choice. If I was considering a Ford chassis motor home, I would feel best with at least a 2004 chassis, but real warm with a newer one that has the better Torqueshift transmission still used today. I could keep going until you get to a 2009 model year where the last of the improvemnts were implemented. 2009 to 2012 are unchanged.

I might not have the time-lines exact. So if someone corrects me, assume he knows better.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am one of those with the Four Winds 28A on a Chevy chassis. j-d sums it up very well. We have done a lot of traveling, mountains, plains and whatever is between and have always had enough power to stay ahead of the semis. The only problem we have had was two oxygen sensors that failed. I have been a Ford guy but I like my Chevy.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/12 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

E-5-50 only lasted a model year or two. 19.5" tires, I forget if it had a wider stance like F450 does over the F350...

If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are frequent threads here on Ford E-series issues... steering/handling, cab heat, cramped seating. Almost none on Chevy issues. The number of 'gripe threads' is disproportionate even considering that many more Fords are used than Chevies.

Jim, "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read anyway."

'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/12 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

There are frequent threads here on Ford E-series issues... steering/handling, cab heat, cramped seating. Almost none on Chevy issues. The number of 'gripe threads' is disproportionate even considering that many more Fords are used than Chevies.

Something's definitely been out of whack in the Class C world with respect to use of Chevy's.

I can understand comparison of a Chevy 3500 V8 van cutaway to a Ford E350 V10 van cutaway ... but lack of Chevy/GMC presence in the one-and-a-half-ton van cutaway space is a mystery to me. It's of course way too late for Chevy to do anything about it now.

Why didn't Chevy/GMC make available a (competitive?) 4500 cutaway chassis to MH manufacturers so as to directly compete with the Ford E450? I saw a Chevy 4500 class van on a WEB page once, but I guess it never went anywhere in the Class C motorhome world.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

Handbasket

Asheville, NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 03:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Why didn't Chevy/GMC make available a (competitive?) 4500 cutaway chassis to MH manufacturers so as to directly compete with the Ford E450? I saw a Chevy 4500 class van on a WEB page once, but I guess it never went anywhere in the Class C motorhome world.

I've seen a few older GM G-series cutaway 4500's locally, but they're all used under box truck bodies. Pretty bad-ax looking units, tho' rare. IIRC, the whole hood-grill-front of fenders tilted forward. There was one poster here who had a G-4500 C, but I can't recall him posting in a couple of years now.

I used to see a Ford E-550 making deliveries locally, too. But I haven't seen it in several years, either.

Jim, "First you catch a jellyfish. Then you catch a peanutbutter fish..."

ron.dittmer

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 10:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

j-d wrote:

E550 only lasted a model year or two. 19.5" tires, I forget if it had a wider stance like F450 does over the F350.
The E550 had huge front leaf springs and extra high ground clearence. Given the complaints about the handling of the E350 and E450 with independant front suspension and coil springs, I wonder how the complaints would pile up over the handling and rough ride of the E550.

snowdance

State of Jefferson

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/12/12 05:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Chevy and we love it. It drives like a car and we love the leg room. Our engine has far more than enough power. We seldom get it over half throttle even living in the high country and we run about 10 mpg for the last 6000 miles. It drives and rides better than any Fords I have driven. It does not have near the engine noise.

All that said. If you go much over 26 or so feet I would go with a bigger Ford. But drive it be be sure how it handles. I have driven several that were white knuckle rides. They can be fixed with new springs ect. but know what you are getting. Also the Fords are most common.

Snowdance

We spent most of our money traveling... Just wasted the rest..

Chevy 7.4 Vortex
2000 Jamboree 23b Rear Kitchen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowdance38

rsinalski

Ct

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/12 06:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The E350 people we speak to most often will comment on a wandering characteristic of the chasis, most E450 owners will tell us that the chasis will track straight but the ride can be harsh-to me a harsh ride is preferable to a wandering ride any day.

Remember that a diesel was available for the years mentioned but diesel vans were few and far between and diesel E450 motorhomes are very very rare; the only one I have ever seen is on the picture site and the owners say that the chasis is the only good thing about the rv.

Yes the performance of the V10 and 6.0 are/were very close but a slight edge does go to the Powerstroke, Ford discovered that the 6.4 did not fit into the E450, no space for all the radiators, and for this reason only discontinued the option. Does anyone offer a diesel superduty in an rv cutaway anymore?

As for doghouse noise; dynamat...

noise reduction material

TippleUnduly

Cranbury, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/12 05:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't really understand Ford's dominance. We drove identical 30' B+ coaches back-to-back, first on the Ford, then the Chevy. The Chevy won hands-down!! Quieter motor, better mileage, plenty of power with that nice V8 sound as a bonus, more footroom, excellent braking, cool-running engine cover, excellent A/C, and smoother ride.

I am a Ford guy with a Ranger and a Mustang, but we love our 2006 Chevy. We have always gotten over 10 MPG and drive to keep up with traffic. No poking. She's 31 feet long and runs great at 75! I can only imagine how well she'd do under an even shorter/lighter coach.

As has been said, there are quite a few threads about how to improve the Ford's rough ride or handling or hot engine cover.... That's why I was so surprised to find the Chevy had none of those downsides!

Try them both. You may be surprised.
Bill

Bill K

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class 'c' Chassis opinion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts