|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class 'c' Chassis opinion

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TippleUnduly

Cranbury, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 09:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do NOT have an E350. I own a Chevy chassis and am VERY pleased with it, regardless of "expert" unfounded opinions regarding its weight. As I said, "I was so impressed by the Chevy's performance in all respects that I decided on the spot to never get overly worried about weight. It does such an impressive job that there's no reason to actively look for things to get worried about. 'nuf said!"

Bill K

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/12 11:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill,

Just read Chevy's spec sheet for your 3500 cutaway van based Class C and compare it with your Class C rig's weight sticker(s).

You'll probably see from this comparison that "opinions" have nothing to do with it ... if you're very close to, or over, the 3500's recommended weight-carrying specs the facts are that you have a Class C that is nearly over-stressed. It probably rides real nice because all it's weight takes most of the sting out of it's springs. You may also have very little engine cooling and braking margins left, too.

Here's what RV manufacturers should be using for large Class C motorhomes - too bad Chevy isn't capitalizing on this great product more for use in the Class C RV world (this is the 4500 version of the 3500 chassis you have):

http://www.gmfleet.com/chevrolet/express-cutaway-4500/

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

noe-place

Somerset, Kentucky

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/12 01:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford no doubt. Had our Winnie Itasca Spirit bought new in 04 and it's all original. Didn't change shocks, springs, etc. all the things you hear people changing for one reason or another. Only change I made is replacing the tire valves with the steel ones. E-450 is the only way to go. Will tow what you want to tow and haul everything and everyone you want to haul. Do your research to get one to meet the usage YOU intend.

j-d

Sunny Florida USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Saw a Class C a week or so ago. Looked new, and the GM cab was marked "4500"

God Bless, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 08:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

That Chevy 4500 cutaway chassis looks to be a head-on competitor to the Ford E450 cutaway chassis. It includes the diesel powerplant, too. I wonder why GM hasn't been way more aggressive in trying to take Class C motorhome gas-powered business away from Ford?

http://www.gmfleet.com/pdf/commercialUse/RV.pdf

Dakzuki

Carnation, Wa, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 10:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

Quote:

That Chevy 4500 cutaway chassis looks to be a head-on competitor to the Ford E450 cutaway chassis. It includes the diesel powerplant, too. I wonder why GM hasn't been way more aggressive in trying to take Class C motorhome gas-powered business away from Ford?

http://www.gmfleet.com/pdf/commercialUse/RV.pdf

I think GM needs to demonstrate some willingness to keep at it for a while before RV manufacturers are willing to commit. It seems they jump in and out of the cutaway market rather frequently. That in itself is a nightmare for an RV manufacturer. How would you like to design an RV and then the chassis manufacturer decide to quit building them?

2011 Itasca Navion 24J
2000 Chev Tracker Toad

rvten

Crossville,TN

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do not feel cramped in the E450 as some people do. Even at 6'2" and 265#'s.
No handling problems. No suspension add on's. MH did cone with rear air bags from Winny.

Only thing I would really like on this MH.
Is the Chevy Vortec 8.1 and the Allison 1000 trans.

Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

Holiday27

Gresham, OR.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/24/12 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our '02 Ford came with air ride, blistein front shocks and heavy duty sway bars and it drives like a dream. I think the main choice is ford just because of availability?

2002 27PBS Holiday Rambler (Aluminum sided/roof) Love it!

Previous RV's
'94 Jamboree 22ft. (This beast had a 460 with tons of power)
'95 VW Eurovan camper (5 cyl. dog) Pulled a 3 rail fine though.
Tent
Borrowed folks '84 VW Westphalia (water cooled)

gotsmart

Aberdeen, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 12:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's see... I own a 2004 E450 SuperDuty with the requesite 6.8L Triton V10. Yes, it screams like a banshee... then again, all banshees scream.

It's a former Cruise America 28R rental (built by Four Winds) that had 109,000 miles on it when I bought it - and even though Good Sam know that, it still sends me mail asking me to purchase their Extended Service Plan. GRRR Many 5ers paid $25K+ more for their diesel dually than I paid for the MH. It came with new tires. It does everything I need it to do. It has a lot of basement storage. There's no storage door on the rear - the water tank is on the outside wall, but I have storage in the pedastal under the foot of the bed.

Last year I replaced the OE p.o.s. front swaybar with a real one, and replaced the OE (leaking) steering stabilizer with a Safe-T-Plus. I added a rear trac-bar. I'll be replacing the shocks with Bilsteins (100,000 on OE shocks is long enough - CW quoted me $650/installed). I'll be having the steering checked (ball joints, rods, etc) for being too loose and replaced as needed. I'll have a camber kit installed if warranted, and a few lube points (that should have been stock). And I'll install a rinser on the black water tank. Except for regular maintenance, that takes care of the underside of the truck.

On the coach - a pinhole leak around the seal of the shower's skylight, a small leak in the seal of one of the rear marker lights, a missing section of window gasket at the bottom of the kitchen window, and the bottom 12 inches of the vertical corner trim pieces behind the cab were starting to pull away from the plywood. That's it. All of that was easily fixed last year.

My plan is to baby the engine. Truck speed on the highways, 35-45 mph up/down most hills (in 3rd), keeping the RPMs in the low 2s as much as possible. I'm researching those programmers (like the ones at 5startuning.com), but am not completely sold on the idea. Will $400 get me 2mpg more than my current 7-8mpg and will it be worth it?

My only complaint about the 2004 E450 is the transmission. It's a 3-speed automatic with 2 lockup points in the torque converter (to make you think it's a 5-speed. Not). Supposedly the OBD programmers can assist in changing shifting characteristics...but I don't know.

* This post was edited 02/25/12 01:09am by gotsmart *

2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

NewsW

US

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 07:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is a bigger choice between a chassis cab of the same make vs a van cutaway?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Class 'c' Chassis opinion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS