|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jake brake not working on 5.9 07 Dodge

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
reddwar

Valley Center Ks. /Now Scotland SD.

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Took our 5.9 07 3500 Dodge over for an oil change a few weeks back. They said that the rear seal was leaking it has a little over 90K on it so Dodge is paid for it. We were heading south on the 27th so on the 26 stopped by my mother to say bye. Well there was oil on her drive way. So called Dodge dealer up & he could not get me in untill the 29th so I said ok as I wanted it done before we left. We did not get it out untill the 6th we hooked up & took off. Well we got to NM going down a hill pulled the jake out - nothing!

To the best of my knowledge the jake brake was working when we took it in. Is there any thing they could have left lose while removing & replacing the pan, oil pump gasket & any thing else that would leak?

Also I now have a little oil on the intake manifold, that we never had before, it looks to be comming from around the power steering pump but the vaccum pump for the Jake brake is just above the power steering pump. We are in Quartzsite & there is not a car wash in town that I have found but we are going to Blythe this afternoon so will clean oil off then.

red

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 11:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm wondering if they had to disconnect the vacuum line from the pump to gain clearance or something. Can you hear the pump engage?

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
POS H0NDA eu2000i

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I assume this is an exhaust brake you added? Because the 5.9L never came with one from the factory. So I guess you will have to do some trouble shooting. Is it vacuum or electric operated?

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
Resident Dummy.

reddwar

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When setting still & pull the jake out I would get that low sound. Not there now. No change at all when I pull it out.

red

reddwar

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 11:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jake is the authorized exhaust brake for Dodge covered by Dodge warranty so when I bought the truck I said I wanted the Jake barke. So Dodge put it on before I picked up the truck.

As I said it has a vaccum pump. But I do not hear a leak at the pump, or at the brake, but I do not have the best hearing.

red

hawkeye-08

Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 05:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got the impression that the dealer is many miles back home, not in Arizona for winter...

Check fuses if there are any for that.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What ever you do, don't leave the pump engaged (dash switch on) if it isn't working because if there's a leak the pump will burn out quickly.

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an '06 Dodge with MOPAR Jacobs exhaust brake added after purchase. Can't help you with your current problem but if it's more than just a disconnected line, check out the nearest Cummins dealer for replacement parts. They're the exact same parts, just much cheaper through Cummins instead of Dodge. I had to replace the vacuum pump on mine and saved almost $800.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/12 02:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

donn0128 wrote:

I assume this is an exhaust brake you added? Because the 5.9L never came with one from the factory. So I guess you will have to do some trouble shooting. Is it vacuum or electric operated?

Actually 2006 was the 1st year it was a option with the 48RE which was installed by the Dodge dealers.
Does the red light on the switch light up? Sounds like a electric wire is disconnected, maybe tech missed re attaching it. If not check the vacuum line.

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

Al B

Cowtown

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/12 05:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Run it back to the dealer that did the work on the seal, state that it worked before and see what they say, you got nothing to lose. If it is a failure, then they will show you the problem

Cummins Powered

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Jake brake not working on 5.9 07 Dodge
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS