|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> more chyrsler diesel news

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 07:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:

Unless you want to only by one car every 10 years. A diesel will out last a gas engine, requires less maintenance and my old TDI was fast and fun to drive.

I would buy a diesel car in a minute and not think twice about it.

Don

So lemme see if I have this straight: I pay $7,000 more for the car, with its ticking time bomb under the hood (I recall the TDI uses the same problematic HPFP as the 6.7 PSD!), I pay 65-85 cents/gallon more for the fuel, and it gets substantially WORSE mileage than my father in law's ECOdiesel Jetta? Did Moe, Larry, Curly, or Schemp cook this one up?

Or...I pay even less for a Honda Civic (the 39MPG DX starts atc about $16K, the 40+MPG HF at $20K), and get bulletproof reliability and 40+mpg.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jaraxle found this for you T shirt

2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
maxbrake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Denial is an ugly thing.

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 09:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here you go click here John

Don

* This post was edited 01/15/12 09:18am by Perrysburg Dodgeboy *

On Sunday Jan. 26,2014 Toledo Fire department lost two Hero's in a fire.
God Speed Privates Stephen Machcinski and James Dickman. We will take it form here my Brothers.

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 09:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe you pay list price for things but I don't, local VW dealer has them on his lot for $4K off invoice.

I hope Chrysler offers the new Dart with a diesel, I would buy it in a hart beat. BTW the only time my TDi was in the shop was to replace the radio.

My Ram is selling for $19,000-$22,500 but with a gas engine they run $5,000-$7,000. Yep I sure wish I had ordered the Hemi instead of the Cummins....NOT.

Don

John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of the advantages of diesel will be regional depending on how diesel prices compare to gas in your area. Generally speaking diesel is the same or cheaper in Canada so some of the advantage may dissapear in the US.

Re acceleration times are deceiving as once diesels are spooled up they accelerate pretty quick. Ask anyone driving a 40 HP Smart car diesel about accelerating on freeway on ramps. The torque of the diesel is pretty effective in that speed band.

Re epa estimates of mileage. Although all cars get better mileage once they have some miles on the clock, diesels tend to jump quite a bit after 20000 to 30000 miles.

Downside is although maintenance intervals seem a little further apart they tend to be higher on an annual basis. We have three small diesels and annual costs are closer to 150 bucks. Having said that, so far that is the only expense (other than tires and light bulbs)

In my opinion diesels need to be driven a little different than a gasser. Won't go into the details but those who drive them know (probably) what I mean.

Our next car will also be a diesel. Hard to go back. Hope to drive these for the next 10 years or so though. Hard to beat the average mileage of mid 70s mpg. Ours are 2005 and 2006. The new ones get 86 average and some owners break the 100 MPG barrier.

Currently in San Diego and a couple of days ago a nice gas station employee had the courtesy to warn me I had grabbed the wrong handle and was putting diesel in our little burgermeister (nickname for our burgundy smart). Explained it to him. Nice chap. This has happened a few times in the last 5 years.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 10:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where is diesel cheaper in Canada? I know it has been in the past but not around here for quite some time. Yesterday, I saw spreads of everywhere from 4 to ll cents a liter between regular and diesel. Still, I'm not about to get rid of my diesel car or truck any time soon.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 10:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:

Maybe you pay list price for things but I don't, local VW dealer has them on his lot for $4K off invoice.

Yeah, because it's TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE to get a Civic for less than sticker price! Give me a break, you're just being stupid now.

hone eagle

essex ontario canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 10:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jarlaxle wrote:

Denial is an ugly thing.

You claim 7000K for diesel option ,I say unlikely , closer to $1500- 2000
jetta

Gas $19460
diesel $20480

oil burner is $1020 more.

eend

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/12 12:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ib516 wrote:

The Jeep diesels were hot sellers in Canada when they were available - diesel fuel is almost always cheaper than reg unleaded here. They had more power, were much more economical, and the fuel was cheaper. The diesels will be a hit north of the 49th for whoever comes out with them.

We have a jeep grand cherokee diesel, I was never much of jeep/chrijsler dodge fan but this truck amazes me everytime i hit the throtle on the highway, even when we ar towing our TT. This machine is a great fuel saver for us compared to the 6L gm truck we had before this.

Can't wait till the new jeep comes out with the diesel later in 2013.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/112010639489/jeep-grand-cherokee-to-get-diesel-in-2013

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 3.0L diesel.
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
2010 195wbs Shadow cruiser travel trailer.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> more chyrsler diesel news
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS