|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel bucking

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jk123

Virginia / New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/12 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is it possible though an air pinbox or hitch and airbags on the truck to get a diesel pusher quality ride from a 5th wheel toyhauler and new F350 or equivalent.
Recently rode in a pickup towing a toyhauler and the ride was pretty horrible.

ReverendCharles

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/12 12:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, the wheels hitting the bumps in the road jerk the truck. My tt doesn’t do this, it may be due to the low mount point of the hitch. You may want to try a air ride hitch.

Chief 2

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/12 05:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No. I had a F550 with a Kelderman air ride system and a Trailaire hitch with the tri-glide plate and my 18K 5'r still beat us to death on rough roads. Switched to an International 4700 low pro and it made a hugh difference. Went all the way to Alaska from Fla. with it and even with the terrible northern roads it did very well. Sold the International when we returned and bought a truck camper for traveling now. Much more enjoyable and leave the MS 5'r at home for the winter housing.

2005 Lance 1181 Loaded
2005 Chevy 3500 4X4 Duramax, Edge Attitude Tuner, 5" Exhaust, Airaid, Ranchos, Air Bags, Hellwig Big Wig
2007 38RL3 Mobile Suite
2001 Bass Tracker 185

Traveler II

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, we had a MH with an 8 air bag system and now we have our fiver. We have air springs on the truck, Mor/ryde suspension and pin plus an air hitch. The ride is not as good as our MH was. In fairness we had the MH 6 years ago and our roads have really deteriorated over the years.

2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2011 - 165
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185

skylos

Columbus, OH

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not gonna happen. there are too many variables with the pickup truck - the amount of suspension travel, the stiffness of the suspension springs/bags. Passenger coaches and their derivative diesel pushers have had much R&D into making a smooth suspension for road travel that supports the weight of the vehicle. trucks have a distinctly different design philosophy and utility. You'll have to find a specialty vehicle specifically designed for ride quality in order to even get close to the ride from a full sized coach.

cruz-in

Southern Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/12 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

won't get that good, but it certainly can be improved of stock hitch and pinbox with additions...

RCMAN46

NorthWest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A major cause of the problem described is low pin weight. When you haul a trailer that is too big for the TV the result is lowering the pin weight so the TV rear axle will not be overloaded. Air springs and pin boxes will help but the trailer will never tow well if the pin weight percentage is below 20%. A level trailer is also required to tow well. I see many toy haulers going down the freeway with the front at least 5 inches higher than the rear. I am sure those are a handfull to tow.

Delaine and Lindy

Linden Tn. (The View)

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/12 09:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its the travel in the suspension. I have owned several GM 3500HDs and I do think the Chevy 2011 and 2012 has the best ride of all GM3500HD's we have owned.

I have also owned a Chevy 4500 with Air ride suspension and Air ride seats. We also had a Freightliner all air, seats, suspension, cab and Trailer Saver Air hitch on both Trucks. The best ride of all were the Chevy 4500 and the Freightliner. I really don't think installing a Link Air ride or Kelderman under a GM 3500HD would make the ride much better without adding air ride seats. I haven't owned a Kelderman system.

I do believer the Trailer Saver air ride 5th wheel hitch would greatly improve the ride of the 5th wheel. We don't have RV furniture, all Lazy Boy, we never tie anything down, and leave the Coffee pot and can opener on the counter and it never moves. I do have the Center Point air ride suspension by Lippert on the Mobile Suites, but I had the Flex system on the 2009 Suites and never had to secure anything...

I again believe its the suspension travel that helps control the road shock, it will help to dampen the road shock . And I think my 2012 Chevy 3500HD DRW's ride the best but doesn't ride like the Chevy 4500HD or the Freightliner.. I also have a heavy pin weight. And my pin box on the Suites is a standard pin box but it rides on a Trailer Saver.... Happy Trails...

2012 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW's LTZ ******Traded******
Trailer Saver Air Ride (SOLD) (Sold)

2010 Mobile Suites 38 RSSB 3, with vanity slide (SOLD)

"Montana" our Sweet Furr Kid
12/21/10 "RIP" miss you!!

We are BLESSED!!!!

luvglass

Milwaukee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/12 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know. We don't have a toy hauler, but tow a 17K fiver behind a 350 dually on a Reese 18K hitch and a MorRyde pin box and we hardly know it's back there. Have over 50K towing and have been on all kinds of roads over the years.

Fred Wishnie
2006 Carriage Cameo 35KS3, 2006 Ford F350 diesel dually, fulltimer
See our blog at http://www.mytripjournal.com/wanderingwishnies

Here'n'There

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/12 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

luvglass wrote:

I don't know. We don't have a toy hauler, but tow a 17K fiver behind a 350 dually on a Reese 18K hitch and a MorRyde pin box and we hardly know it's back there. Have over 50K towing and have been on all kinds of roads over the years.

x2. Our TV and MorRyde provide a remarkably good "ryde" - no kiddin. Trailer weight is more like 16K but still....

Here'n'There
2009 Carri-Lite 36SBQ 5th Wheel
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab Long Bed Diesel Dually
On the road with Here'n'There
Role of the C133 in Viet Nam

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th wheel bucking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels