RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Considering Used Class A Diesel Pusher for the First Time

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Considering Used Class A Diesel Pusher for the First Time

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
beech90

New York

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/12 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I currently have a F450 Dully with a gooseneck LQ Horse Trailer. We are traveling more and more and further away. I would like to upgrade to a used class A motor home to have more room and comfort. We will have to pull a 3 to 4 horse bumper pull trailer as well.

Anyone have good ideas, suggestions, comments on what to look for and what to look out for???

I am focused on finding a 400 HP or greater Diesel Pusher. I am currently looking at a 2003 Travel Supreme Model 40DS02. It is already set up with a 4 horse trailer and has had it for several years. All air-ride and they have had no issues pulling it. It has a Cummins 400 (ISL i believe). I still need to check transmission. I think it is an Allison. The push button on the dash. The chassis is a Spartan. It is a 40'6" that is nicely loaded. Large flat screens, fire place, VERY NICE interiors. It has about 66,000 miles. Anyone have any thoughts????

justlou

Northern, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/12 12:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Travel Supreme is a good product and the 400ISL will have plenty of power. That coach should have a towing capacity of 10,000 lbs. but be sure and check. Better to check now than be suprised later. Also, check the mfg. date on the tires. If they haven't been replaced you could be facing a large tire replacement cost.

justlou
2006 Monaco Diplomat
2014 Honda CR-V AWD

RckyMtnVia

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/12 12:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NADA values for that rv are: low retail, $60,800; average retail,$73,250. Wholesale price, which is the dealer trade in value, can be found in a good library reference section in the NADA Wholesale Price Index. It is approximately 10% below low retail, so $54,720. Have a mechanic check out engine, transmission, etc., and make sure all systems and appliances are in working order.

2013 Winnebago Via 25T
2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Occasionally)

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/12 12:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The ISL 400 will have the Allison 3000mh tranny which is a good combo. It may have a true Jake Brake instead of a exhaust brake. If it has a Hi/Low switch then it's a Jake which will give more braking. One area of concern with any 40' DP is the amount of CCC (cargo carrying capacity). Assuming your trailer has 1000 lbs of tongue weight (could be a lot more), it's going to put 1400+ lbs on the rear axle and take 400+ off the front. This may put more than the 20,000 lbs that the rear axle is rated for. It's easy to put 3,000 lbs of stuff in a MH if you use it a lot. There should be a CCC page behind one of the cabnet doors telling you how much CCC the MH has and unfortunately it may only be 3000 lbs. Some MHs got around this by using a 23K rear axle but this will keep you from using some of the eastern turnpikes that weigh you when you get on.
There is a solution and it's a DP with a tag axle as it will have a CCC of 8-10K lbs. Click on how I tow below as I'm putting 1500+ lbs on my back end. A 03 TS can be bought for less than $70K with fewer miles and new tires.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

steveownby

Cosby, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/12 01:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivy log is giving you excellent advise. The TS is most likely a great coach but most likely not the best choice with the type of towing you are planning. A tag Axle coach will solve the problem.

Steve Ownby
2003 Monaco Signature

Full-time since 2007

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/12 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beech90 wrote:

I currently have a F450 Dully with a gooseneck LQ Horse Trailer. We are traveling more and more and further away. I would like to upgrade to a used class A motor home to have more room and comfort. We will have to pull a 3 to 4 horse bumper pull trailer as well.

Anyone have good ideas, suggestions, comments on what to look for and what to look out for???

I am focused on finding a 400 HP or greater Diesel Pusher. I am currently looking at a 2003 Travel Supreme Model 40DS02. It is already set up with a 4 horse trailer and has had it for several years. All air-ride and they have had no issues pulling it. It has a Cummins 400 (ISL i believe). I still need to check transmission. I think it is an Allison. The push button on the dash. The chassis is a Spartan. It is a 40'6" that is nicely loaded. Large flat screens, fire place, VERY NICE interiors. It has about 66,000 miles. Anyone have any thoughts????

TS were top of the line units back then.No need to wonder about trans as all they used was Allison.Just MAKE SURE it has the HD allison filters and the 295 allison oil.A unit that big and pulling four horses is BARE MIN HP/Torque though.Loaded it will be slow on mountain grades

rvrepairnut

bc

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/12 02:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

The ISL 400 will have the Allison 3000mh tranny which is a good combo. It may have a true Jake Brake instead of a exhaust brake. If it has a Hi/Low switch then it's a Jake which will give more braking. One area of concern with any 40' DP is the amount of CCC (cargo carrying capacity). Assuming your trailer has 1000 lbs of tongue weight (could be a lot more), it's going to put 1400+ lbs on the rear axle and take 400+ off the front. This may put more than the 20,000 lbs that the rear axle is rated for. It's easy to put 3,000 lbs of stuff in a MH if you use it a lot. There should be a CCC page behind one of the cabnet doors telling you how much CCC the MH has and unfortunately it may only be 3000 lbs. Some MHs got around this by using a 23K rear axle but this will keep you from using some of the eastern turnpikes that weigh you when you get on.
There is a solution and it's a DP with a tag axle as it will have a CCC of 8-10K lbs. Click on how I tow below as I'm putting 1500+ lbs on my back end. A 03 TS can be bought for less than $70K with fewer miles and new tires.

absolutely not true if using 1K or 1200 lb equalizer bars which most all people would be.

UltraKen

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should use a checklist to go over the coach. You can Google for RV checklists or use the one in my signature below.

UltraKen
Ex - 1968 Ultra Van
NOW - 1996 Safari Sahara 35' - Model 3530 - Cat 300
Pictures of my Coach
A $93 Rear Camera System
My take on replacing tires
Used MH Checklist
Toad: Dodge Grand Caravan on Tow Dolly or 1981 Vespa on utility trailer

Smitty77

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/12 04:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TS is a fine coach. I looked that same year and model over in our search, but had an owner that I did not get good vibes from - so kept on looking.

With the age and having pulled a load along the way, I would check the maintenance records to see if the trans fluid has been changed. It may, or may not, have transyn. If it has not been serviced, I would factor that in the deal. Should have had new tires all around by now too, and probably on a 2nd set of batteries. Same comment, if not, factor that in the deal.

Best of luck,
Smitty

havasu4us

Montana & Lake Havasu City, Az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You did not mention if the 4 hourse has a "dressing room". Ours was pretty heavy upfront due to all the tack and hay, so more lbs directly over the hitch. Just something for you to think about while making your decision.

TIFFIN PHAETON
09' JEEP
12' RZR S
IDAHO TOTE TAG

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Considering Used Class A Diesel Pusher for the First Time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts