RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Going alone??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Going alone??

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/12 07:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that they are worth having... after all I like my OnStar

How in the he11 did I get past 70 without them?

In 1945 I was Danial Boone in the school play... he was a local hero... for the rest of my life I've tried to learn as much as possible about survival... without being obcessed about it. Think about what Boone accomplished...

The military reinforced it... they'ed even give you an Article 15 for sunburn or frostbite.

Boy Scouts had a merit badge for survival skills I think... where the scout was required to make his way from point A to point B while basically unequiped...

People ought to have to take a class on survival or at least pass a test to buy a spot or what ever... kids take fire arms classes for hunting and adults take classes for carry permits.

Do you think we can teach the stupid out of people? Or are they better off teaching themselves?... like providing their own light?

2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

~DJ~

Boise, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/12 05:12am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

seldomseensmith wrote:

~DJ~ wrote:

seldomseensmith wrote:

Technology Leads To More Into Trouble

This article appeared a while back, but it really sums up the argument against those who think a SPOT or PLB is an acceptable substitute for planning and taking responsibility for poor decision making. I truly believe that SOME folks (not most of the participants here) are just plain lazy and have become too dependent on toys and gadgets versus using old fashioned good judgment.

There is no substitute for preparedness and experience. I traveled extensively for years in remote backcountry settings before SPOT or PLBs ever became available, and on more than one occasion got myself into a pickle that required self-reliance to get myself back on track. Today I carry a PLB only because it would be foolish not to take advantage of the ability to summon help in a life or death situation.

That said, if you spend time alone outdoors then you must accept the risk that sometimes bad things happen. If you are lucky and have taken the appropriate precautions, you might survive the experience. Otherwise you pays your money and you takes your chances.

I give up. I'm done with this subject. "I've done this. I've done that". Yeah, right. Lucky is all. WHO HERE HAS HAD A BURST APPENDIX HOURS FROM THEIR TRUCK AND SURVIVED ONLY ON THEIR EXPERIENCE AND EQUIPMENT?

LMFAO You're dead in an hour no matter how much you know or how much experience you have.

A SPOT should no way suffice for experience/knowledge but scoffing it could cost you your life. You can lead a horse to water................

DJ,

I'm not sure I get it. I basically agree with you - in fact I state very clearly that not taking advantage of a PLB or SPOT would be foolish. But you make it sound like I'm arguing against it, when all I'm saying is that you should not rely exclusively on these gadgets to save your life......

I'm sorry Eric. The rant was not aimed at you although appears so. I quoted your post to thank you for your input but spaced it and went right into my rant. I'm blaming my back pain meds. And re reading my posts this morning I must have been flying pretty high!!!

2011 F250 Super Cab Lariat 6.2 373 FX4 Short Box 4" BDS, 35" Toyos, TorkLift, 16.5K Warn, Locked & Loaded
2007 SunLite Pop Up, Dometic 12 volt fridge, 100 watt solar, Trojan AGM, Honda 2000
2014 Nash 23D, Trojan twin sixes, Honda 3000

silversand

Montreal

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 01:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

WHO HERE HAS HAD A BURST APPENDIX HOURS FROM THEIR TRUCK AND SURVIVED ONLY ON THEIR EXPERIENCE AND EQUIPMENT?

I had to improvise a stretcher, and, with the help of a client carry a chap with severe appendicitis (on one of my expeditions) close to 5 kilometers through jungle and shoreline in Honduras, to a village that had emergency medical facilities. But luckily there was 2 of us capable of carrying this guy (he survived, after emergency surgery in a bush hospital made of palm fronds and wood).

I've often wondered what I'd do if this happened to me, solo, 20 miles in the middle of nowhere, with no cell or radio reachability.

Another incident:

A buddy and myself (buddy is a surgeon) on a remote kayaking expedition near the Nicaragua Caribbean coast were awakened at ~3:30 AM, in a tropical downpour, with the village Alcalde hammering on our grass hut door: "someone is dying! We know you are a doctor (my kayaking buddy), and we can take you to her..."

We slipped and slid down the 40-foot mud embankment with Herb's medical surgical kit (rudimentary), and into a 60-foot mahogany dug-out canoe, then the Alcalde (the town mayor) navigated us out into the raging flood-torrent of jungle river, around half submerged trees in the river, blasting several kilometers down river (in the pitch black, I was the "light-man" at the bow of the dugout), then docking, and scrambling up another 40-foot pure mud embankment, up to the grass hut, where a woman was experiencing extremely severe pain from a bad ectopic pregnancy (replete with bleeding). At sunrise, we forewent the return by dugout on the deadly river, and hiked back to our jungle hut, for breakfast.

* This post was edited 01/24/12 02:07pm by silversand *

Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Super_Dave

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 01:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If we have already had our appendix removed are we exempt?

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Camper: 2007 Eagle Cap 850
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 05:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aged bones would prevent me from carring you out of anywhere... but then again... those same aged bones would probably prevent me from being there in the first place.

Please leave a note for your next of kin.

Sleepy

* This post was edited 01/26/12 11:34am by an administrator/moderator *

dirtyhandz

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder how people lived past 20 years old before we had cell phones, SPOT, air bags, on star and smart phones? I heard of this these two things they used way back in the day, responsibility and common sense.
I think those spot things are good and all that, but I just feel that our society has become lazy and and somewhat stupid with all of these gizmos knowing that someone or something else will save their xxx for ten bucks a month. I bet 75% of the people on the road cant change a flat tire. Now if there is no cell service or some computer glitch for a day or two, some people would die in their car over a flat tire.

I fly solo 99% of the time the old fashion way. I feel knowing no one will come bail me out when in the back country or on the road makes me a better boy scout.

* This post was edited 01/26/12 11:35am by an administrator/moderator *

acudr

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 09:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is a great conversation as I am many times far from help.

I think there is a distinction to be made.

There is the far back situation where I get hurt. Definitely a SPOT or PLB type of thing would be great.

The other situation the OP may be referring to is if we break-down, have lots of food, all is ok, BUT.... Truck ain't going anywhere and you don't have cell service or extra vehicle and yeah, the truck is broke. (and your welder is at home). I think I worry about this more as it is probably more possible for this to happen to any of us that go far back, than a health or accident issue (not that this couldn't or we should not be prepared)

What do you do then? Can the SPOT send "I need tow truck" or service vehicle type distress signal?(real ?, i don't know the answer), Do you leave your vehicle and hike? Is a CB enough?

Thanks,

Bertram

sleepy

Oak Ridge,Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/12 11:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is suggested for this remote ride? It sort of reminds me of going up to Mesa Verde... a bit more narrow.... janet cringes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=eE8o4sVLRBc

Searching_Ut

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 05:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back before it was the Grand Staircase Escalante National Recreation area, I had to hike over 50 miles out when the fuel pump went out on the truck we were in. Took the better part of two days, but at that time the chances of anyone figuring out where we were or stumbling upon us was slim. I left the other two guys with the truck. Today, the wife and I roam all over the backcountry, either in the truck, or the Polaris RZR, which gets you way away from it all in a hurry. We now carry a spot, but have the training and experience, plus carry the gear we need to spend a few nights if necessary.

kcabpilot

CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dirtyhandz wrote:

I wonder how people lived past 20 years old before we had cell phones, SPOT, air bags, on star and smart phones? I heard of this these two things they used way back in the day, responsibility and common sense.

The vast majority of us did live past 20 but that doesn't eliminate the fact that a few of us didn't and a SPOT, PLB or even cellphone might have saved some. Spending a couple hundred bucks and carrying one doesn't make you stupid or lacking of common sense it's just another option, one that wasn't available in the past, one that could possibly save your life in an extenuating circumstance beyond your control.

1994 Lance 990 on 1997 F350 PSD Dually "Rhino Haunches"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Going alone??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS