Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: Rand McNally RVND7710 & Magellan 9165T RV GPS comparisons

Posted By: professor95 on 01/15/12 06:31pm

There are currently two RV specific GPS units having a 7” TFT display available. If you check out Camping World you will find the Magellan 9165T and Rand McNally RVND7710 sitting side-by-side for the same price ($359.99).

I have both of these GPS units and have been running them side-by-side gathering on-the-road comparisons for a couple of months and several thousand miles.

How did I end up with two? Well, I have been writing a weekly blog for the Woodall's Family Camping web site for about two years. The manufacturers of these units sent them to me for evaluation and hopefully some feedback and posted on-line evaluations. BTW – Woodall’s, Good Sam, RV.net, Trailer Life, Camping World and more are all owned by the same parent company. So, I am not doing any competitive advertising by asking for discussions on this forum or thread. Good Sam Enterprises (formerly the Affinity Group) owns all of them. My only purpose is to collect information from users of these units so other RV’ers can make an informed decision if they intend to buy one of these GPS units. We can also provide some feedback for manufacturers as to the features we consider valuable to an RV’er.

Let me start out by sharing that I have found both to be excellent RV specific GPS units. You can set your vehicle type and size, which keeps you out of trouble by NOT following standard 4-wheeler routes. The maps for both makes are based on the North American Truck routes. In fact, both the 9165T and RVND7710 are extensions to the big truck specific units redesigned for RV’ers. I would NEVER suggest a larger RV using a standard car GPS. My rig is 63 feet long, 13’2” high and 102” wide. U-turns, city traffic, tunnels, low bridges and narrow roads just do not work for big rigs!

Both units have extensive campground information at your fingertips. The Magellan 9165T uses the Trailer Life directory as the database. The RVND7710 uses a campground database developed by Allstays, LLC.

The Magellan 9165T has a jack for an external back-up camera or DVD player – the Rand McNally RVND7710 does not.

The Magellan 9165T has Bluetooth – which is great for paring to a cell phone for hands free calling from a speaker that you can actually hear and a contacts list you can read from a distance. The Rand McNally unit does not have Bluetooth.

The Rand McNally unit has an awesome dashboard feature that gives you detailed information on your speed, average speed, elevation, ETA, time driving, time stopped, % of up hill and down hill driving, etc. that can be custom set for up to three different vehicles. The 9165T only offers a pop-up for speed and direction that disappears after about 15 seconds.

Neither unit offers free lifetime map updates (why not for a $400 GPS???)

There is currently a thread on just the RVND7710 here.

Another for the Magellan 9165T pro is here.

Magellan has updated their software over the last few months from V1.21 to the current V1.35 correcting the majority of set-up issues discussed in the existing thread. You can download the software updates for free.

This is just a beginning as to what the features are for each product. Each unit has many unique features that may – or may not – appeal to individual RV’ers. I hope this thread will catch on and provide some needed information and user comments for side-by-side comparison and decision making. Hopefully, I can answer some questions on either unit as needed.

Professor Randy T. Agee & Nancy Agee. Also Oscar, the totally ruined Dachshund.
2009 Cedar Creek 5th Wheel - 2004 Volvo VNL670 class 8 MotorHome conversion as toter.
Turbocharged, 12L, 465 HP and 1,800 ft. Lbs. of torque.

Posted By: az99 on 01/15/12 06:58pm

QUOTE-"BTW – Woodall’s, Good Sam, RV.net, Trailer Life, Camping World and more are all owned by the same parent company. So, I am not doing any competitive advertising by asking for discussions on this forum or thread. Good Sam Enterprises (formerly the Affinity Group) owns all of them."

That certainly explains a lot about some things on this site. I never knew that.

Posted By: n7bsn on 01/15/12 07:25pm

Thanks, sounds to me like the Magellan is the CURRENT clear winner. That can (and will) change as new GPS models are released and software updated.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Posted By: demoon on 01/15/12 10:08pm

Glad to see the info on the Magellan. We have a Rand 5510 - same unit - smaller screen. Strongly recommend folks buy and check a truck atlas. My Rand has given me two wrong sets of info. The scary one was the route that would have taken us to an underpass with 10' clearance, while my height setting was at 12'. The other was down a dead end road, which we caught in time to make a turn. Also, the POI database, even after a recent update, is not very good. Example - there are listings for five restaurants/businesses in our neighborhood that have been out of business for at least four years. So - trust these like you should any GPS.

Posted By: professor95 on 01/16/12 05:56pm

n7bsn wrote:

Thanks, sounds to me like the Magellan is the CURRENT clear winner. That can (and will) change as new GPS models are released and software updated.

Ralph - may thanks for the reply.

But, you have aroused my curiosity as to why you picked the Magellan as the current clear winner?

I would imagine that there are one or more features in my initial list that you consider important to your travel style.

What actually is important in a GPS to RV'ers that decide to use one is part of what I hope will come out on this thread. Right now I can definitely tell you that neither the RVND7710 or the Magellan Roadmate 9165T individually have all the features I would personally want to see in a RV specific product. I have no idea of what type of research either company did to decide on their specific product features - but, obviously you and I were not consulted.

demoon - you are right on target about all GPS units making errors. I have encountered errors on both the RVND7710 and 9165T - often both units make the same error! No mystery here as they draw road information from the same databases. But I have observed that both units are much more accurate about providing routing that is compatible with my RV than any GPS I have used before. My guess is using data from the North American Trucking Routes as a beginning for RV routing is a big plus.

Posted By: PenMan on 01/17/12 11:06am

I like the Magellan based on your description. I particularly like the input for a rear camera and having bluetooth. I would want free map updates for life in either unit before I would buy one.

Chris and Jane and two boys (and a DDIL) who prefer tents
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

Posted By: professor95 on 01/18/12 12:16pm

PenMan wrote:

I would want free map updates for life in either unit before I would buy one.

I am puzzled by that one as well..... at a retail price of $400 for either GPS one would think that lifetime maps would be included. But, to get that feature you have to fork over another $89.00. Many less expensive GPS units from Magellan, Garmin, etc. offer free lifetime maps updates. Magellan does guarantee the most recent maps for 90 days after purchase, meaning if you bought one that had been in stock for a few months and had outdated maps or software the newest update would be free. Software updates are free for life - my Magellan has gone from V1.21 to V1.35 with quite a few nice user friendly changes.

Maybe if enough RV'ers speak up about the cost of updates added to a particular GPS or share if they are avoiding purchasing GPS units without updates it would make a difference? I would certainly be glad to share with my company contacts what RV'ers have to say.

Posted By: professor95 on 01/18/12 01:31pm

For Rand McNally's RVND7710

There is NEW docking software available that actually works! You can download a complete 156 page manual and update your maps/software thru this program. I was never able to get the full manual or an update using the old software.

If determining the unit's serial number is confusing (and it was to me): If you look at the white barcoded tag on the back, the six numbers after the 7710- together make up the serial number. The remaining letters and numbers on the tag should not be entered as part of the serial number when registering. If they are, you will get an error indicating an unrecognized device.

I just received two updates related to road construction data.

Rand McNally's FAQ on map updates:
http://www.randmcnally.com/support/rvnd_support_faqs.jsp wrote:

The TripMaker RVND is fully functional out of the box, but as a Rand McNally customer, you are entitled to exclusive Rand McNally updates. The frequency of updates varies from every month for free Rand McNally road construction updates, to quarterly for free software updates. Rand McNally also provides free RV restriction updates throughout the year based on feedback from Tell Rand, as well as our own ongoing research. The Tell Rand feedback requires research verification and updates are 2-4 times per year. Once per year, a full map update will be made available for a competitive price.

This program provides map updates as they become available. If you participate in the Lifetime Map Program, you will receive notice that the maps are available, and the maps will be downloadable via the Rand McNally Dock. The first time a map update is available for a device, the registered owner will receive a notice describing the terms and the one-time fee (currently $89.99) for Lifetime Maps. We recommend that you register your device as soon as possible so as to be informed of any updates or new features available.

Posted By: dartmouth01 on 01/25/12 01:50pm

off topic, but what are the different screens/devices on your dash? Looks like you have a rear view monitor built into the dash, as well as one right above it. And then not sure whats in the middle on top of the dash. Then also the two GPS's, one suctioned to the windshield (that looks like a huge suction cup) and the other mounted to the dash.....

Posted By: professor95 on 01/25/12 10:01pm

dartmouth01 wrote:

off topic, but what are the different screens/devices on your dash? Looks like you have a rear view monitor built into the dash, as well as one right above it. And then not sure whats in the middle on top of the dash. Then also the two GPS's, one suctioned to the windshield (that looks like a huge suction cup) and the other mounted to the dash.....

The 7" monitor in the dash connects to a camera on the back of our 5th wheel. It gives me full view of the blind spots. When the fiver is unhooked it switches to a monitor on the back of the truck's cab. Needed since there is no rear window or mirror for hook-up. Of the two small monitors on the dash - one monitors the 3 o'clock blind spot on the passenger side. Great when entering an intersection when the road on the right is less than 90 degrees. The second monitor watches a camera right at the top of the roof fairing for my height or another camera on the front bumper. Great for low canopies, tree branches, etc. and the one on the front bumper for precision parking.

As for the twin GPS units - well, neither one has all the functions I want. But, together they give me the full Monty. The suction mount for the one on the windshield is what comes with the RVND7710 - it is extremely strong.

Occasionally I look out the windshield

No, really, I feel much safer having the cameras and monitors. It is a big truck and with the fiver behind it a big rig. Being able to see the blind spots improves safety.

Now, any questions on the GPS functions?

Posted By: Hudsoner on 01/29/12 11:56am

professor95 wrote:

Maybe if enough RV'ers speak up about the cost of updates added to a particular GPS or share if they are avoiding purchasing GPS units without updates it would make a difference? I would certainly be glad to share with my company contacts what RV'ers have to say.

I am in the market to update from my car GPS (TomTom) to a RV suitable GPS. I am also using MS Streets & Trips on my netbook. I will hold back with a RV specific unit until I receive the same service as TomTom is giving me (free map updates and free traffic)

Posted By: emiddleb on 01/29/12 02:31pm

Professor,

Thanks for the feature comparison. As you say, sounds like both are "close but not perfect" at this point.

Have you tried creating routes on either/both, especially like someone would do for a vacation going a week or two with stops at campgrounds, POIs etc? Today I use MS S&T because it's easy to sit at the computer and map it out. How easily can one do it on those GPSs?

Side comment: sometimes I wonder if "free upgrades" are all that normal? My car's GPS upgrade is not free, not sure about other car manufacturer's systems, MS S&T makes you buy a whole new version each year, the old Alpine GPS that was OEM in my RV was not free. Is it reasonable to get "free" or is it just baked into the price of those who say it's included?

2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Roadmaster Tow Dolly

Posted By: professor95 on 01/29/12 07:36pm

emiddleb wrote:

Professor,

Thanks for the feature comparison. As you say, sounds like both are "close but not perfect" at this point.

Have you tried creating routes on either/both, especially like someone would do for a vacation going a week or two with stops at campgrounds, POIs etc? Today I use MS S&T because it's easy to sit at the computer and map it out. How easily can one do it on those GPSs?

Side comment: sometimes I wonder if "free upgrades" are all that normal? My car's GPS upgrade is not free, not sure about other car manufacturer's systems, MS S&T makes you buy a whole new version each year, the old Alpine GPS that was OEM in my RV was not free. Is it reasonable to get "free" or is it just baked into the price of those who say it's included?

Free map updates for life (the life of the GPS) are being offered by several GPS brands. Apparently this is an incentive to get one to buy their product. I know Magellan, Garmin and Tom Tom provide this as an all inclusive item on some models of their GPS.

Right now both Magellan and Rand McNally are offering 90 day map update guarantees. But, both representatives I have talked with indicated off-the-record that they would be provided for the first year after registration. Then, it is $89 for the map update.

Personally, I have found little need to purchase updates every year. I have ended up replacing my GPS units as new features and technology are introduced and will probably do so in the future as well.

The "thing" with both the Magellan and Rand McNally units is the amount of data and complexity of the routing information. If you want to go to All Stays or Trailer Life and update your directory and POI's you will pay at least $50 with no GPS - much like M S&T. BTW - Microsoft offers a free 90 day update to current owners. I have found that the roads and routes I drive have not changed. What does change is the names of the business at each Interstate exit, etc. Sometimes these changes come slowly - like a couple of years after they are gone.

Yes, I have run routing for many east coast trips on both GPS units. I have NOT routed further west than Little Rock or further south than Orlando. They are far ahead of my "Trucker" Garmin in providing POI and campground info. Both are extremely easy for invoking a detour to the route provided. With my Garmin, I often used M S&T to develop my routing and then uploaded it to the GPS. This is not a feature for either the Magellan or Rand McNally RV specific GPS units - I miss this feature!

As far as live traffic reporting goes - on the Rand McNally it is an extra cost option and requires an accessory receiver/antenna. It is included with the Magellan 6510 - no extra fee or equipment needed. The reports are provided via cell phone towers ONLY in select locations (which I do not know where). But there is a catch...... the free live traffic also includes "pop up" advertising for hotels, restaurants, etc. along your route. I got so sick and tired of the constant intrusion for Best Western bonus points and coupons I ended up turning live traffic off. The pop-ups were especially annoying at night as they made the screen bright. They would stay on about 10-15 seconds and then clear only to come back about 10 minutes later. My guess is the Magellan traffic is only free because of the advertising.

The POI's in the RVND7710 are "interesting". Being home based out of Virginia it was the first state I pulled up. I could not help but laugh when it showed the highest point in VA as also being the lowest point. But, if you are a fisherman and want to know about the lakes, rivers and streams along your route you will probably enjoy the POI database in the RVND7710 tremendously. Many of the 7710's POI's are "Editor Picks" - again I wonder how much the picks are influenced by paid advertising.

But, back to the bottom line - both or either unit is a tremendous improvement for someone with a LARGE RV as far as routing. Either one is better than M S&T because you can set your RV size and it chooses routing based on that data and your preferences. M S&T has no idea what you are driving. Mistakes are made by both GPS units - the highway, roadway and streets databases are imperfect. But, both manufacturers have created a really nice GPS with bells and whistles that blow a car GPS away. The only alternative is the parent models of the RV units - which are the true trucker database units. You will get a different POI database and warnings for every weight station with the trucker version but the routing is basically the same.

* This post was edited 01/29/12 08:50pm by professor95 *

Posted By: Us out West on 01/29/12 07:42pm

Don't see your comment Professor

We are really looking for an RV gps and are intrigued with the Rand.

Have had Garmins with good experience but want the RV application.

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Posted By: jassrnj on 01/31/12 08:08am

Bottom line ... no one is making a product that has all of the features Rv'ers want. We are forced to use several products to map our trips. Yes we want free upgrades. Yes we do need to know about low bridges. Yes we need to pick our routes. Yes we want large displays. Yes we want our laptop and gps units to talk to each other. Yes we want to know about rest areas, fuel stops, campgrounds, etc. I'm still waiting ................

Posted By: Us out West on 02/11/12 08:36pm

Ordered a RM 7710 today and will have it for our mid-March 9 hour trip to Menifee, CA. to p/u our new Pinnacle.

Our car Garmin did OK but felt the RM was the best RV GPS in our searching.

IMOP of course.

Posted By: professor95 on 02/12/12 11:34am

Us out West wrote:

Ordered a RM 7710 today and will have it for our mid-March 9 hour trip to Menifee, CA. to p/u our new Pinnacle.

Our car Garmin did OK but felt the RM was the best RV GPS in our searching.

IMOP of course.

I think you will be happy. It is a quality piece of hardware and with the NEW RV Docking software is much better than when I first received mine. Just be aware the RV Dock software can take up as much space on a hard drive as Microsoft Streets and Trips.

Posted By: professor95 on 02/14/12 07:27pm

For those interested..... Rand McNally will be including the Woodall's Campground Directory in all of their RV GPS products beginning sometime in April. Current owners of both the 5" and 7" RVND models will be given the opportunity to upgrade software for their GPS via the dock for free.

This will result in a real run for the money between the Magellan and RVND models. The Woodall's directory is at least equal to the Trailer Life directory included in the Magellan RV GPS.

Posted By: just me on 04/04/12 06:42am

Well for the glare on my 5510 I bought and installed the anti glare shield. A lot of glare was still present. Went to the Rally and talked with the RM reps and they suggested the shield, bought it and it helped but did not totally stop the glare, but better. They noted the complaints on the glare and that they are working on it. More info to come later I guess.

95 Dodge CC #5 TST plate Flame Red/Silver
not totaly stock
2007 fiver
Tag Ma-haul has been suggested for a name but now The Shoe box

Posted By: down home on 04/04/12 06:08pm

Got the Rand McNally. Need the hood or shield.
CW was no help and so far no one else knows about it around here.
Sources?

Posted By: TulareJohn on 04/04/12 06:26pm

I have the 7710 and major complaint is the glare problem. Getting ready for a 5 month tour of the US, so going to be interesting to see how it works compared to my old Garmin NUVI, which maps are out of date.

John & Connie Neeley
Pets: Bailey & Gretchen
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 Crewcab 4x4 6.7L Diesel
2011 Wildcat 313RE

Posted By: emiddleb on 04/04/12 06:56pm

down home wrote:

Sources?

Rand McNally store for hood, Amazon for glare shields.

Posted By: just me on 04/05/12 06:19am

emiddleb wrote:

down home wrote:

Sources?

Rand McNally store for hood, Amazon for glare shields.

RM store has both. But check out the Amazon, on the anti glare shield. Might be the same thing?
@ the rally I in formed the RM people of the problem, and was told they are working on it. As stated I bought the hood, it helped. Try a non-reflective dark cloth under the RVND and see if that works. Thats my next experiment to try. Also set the day time light to BRIGHT, see if that helps.

Posted By: Aklak on 04/06/12 05:51pm

Spoke with a rep at GPS Central who advised Garmin is coming out with an RV specific device this spring/summer. Only time will tell, but enough to make me wait a lilltle longer before I buy mine (whatever it may be).

Posted By: professor95 on 04/07/12 08:09pm

TulareJohn wrote:

I have the 7710 and major complaint is the glare problem. Getting ready for a 5 month tour of the US, so going to be interesting to see how it works compared to my old Garmin NUVI, which maps are out of date.

One of many features I like about the 7710 are the user settable warnings for curves and grades as well as speed limit changes. It does make some mistakes but overall performance is pretty darn good.

On our recent 3,200 mile trek I often switched to the dashboard mode once out on the Interstate highway. I really like the RM dashboard functions showing which mile marker you are approaching, % of uphill and downhill travel and other user settable data features. It even anticipated our crossing time zones and adjusted our ETA time accordingly. The more I use it, the more I learn how it is different than my old "car" GPS units and better fits into our RV traveling needs.

It appears RV specific GPS devices are getting more popular with the major manufacturers. Guess some big company dollar crunchers finally realized we are an important part of the consumer population. Hopefully, we will all benefit from the competition as newer devices and features hit the market.

Posted By: papa peter on 02/14/12 08:23pm

professor95 wrote:

For those interested..... Rand McNally will be including the Woodall's Campground Directory in all of their RV GPS products beginning sometime in April. Current owners of both the 5" and 7" RVND models will be given the opportunity to upgrade software for their GPS via the dock for free.

This will result in a real run for the money between the Magellan and RVND models. The Woodall's directory is at least equal to the Trailer Life directory included in the Magellan RV GPS.

Wonder what Rand McNally and Magellan are going to use in 2013? Here's an interesting fact:

Trailer Life RV Parks & Campgrounds Directory and Woodall’s Campground Guide to Unite in 2013 to Form One Combined “Super Directory”

here is a link to the merger announcement

2012 Winnebago Vista 26P - 2012 Jeep Limited Jet Liberty

Posted By: pulsar on 02/18/12 05:18am

professor95 wrote:

You can turn on backtracks with the RM - it helps when leaving a CG and then returning.

Before leaving a campground to go exploring in an area we are unfamiliar with, we set current position as Home. We use the GPS to route us where we are going. When we are ready to return to the campground, we tell the GPS we want to go home.

Tom

Posted By: just me on 02/18/12 06:44am

If you watch for the special offering on these GPS (RM) you can get free life time updates. I did on the 5510 I just purchased. When you find a wrong route or a long term construction project, you can down load to RM and they will incorporate it in to a future download. And the 2Q update will even be that much better if you have one, its free. There are few things that one might not like is they have incorporated side trips by the editors and a lot of area history on major towns when summoned. And the screen glare is a little offensive, but you can buy a anti glare protector or a shield type hood for them. They realize they have a problem. Also when changing direction from a route that is set, mine did not go crazy with RE-CALCULATING RE-CALCULATING. It just went instantly with anew route.
Hope this helps.

Posted By: just me on 02/18/12 07:38am

Just noticed on the forums there is discussion on apps for your I-phone for a RV check list. The Rand McNally GPS has these check off list and you can add to them or remove the items that don't apply to your rig. Also there is a spot to keep track of vehicle maintenance and repairs. A lot of different little corners one can dive into.

Posted By: Miles Away on 02/18/12 09:44am

pulsar wrote:

professor95 wrote:

You can turn on backtracks with the RM - it helps when leaving a CG and then returning.

Before leaving a campground to go exploring in an area we are unfamiliar with, we set current position as Home. We use the GPS to route us where we are going. When we are ready to return to the campground, we tell the GPS we want to go home.

Tom

Why not just save your location in your address book and identify it by the name of the campground. To return, just pull up the name of the campground and "GO".

M & M On the road again!
2007 GMC 3500-SRW-Duramax-longbed-4X4
2008 Keystone EVEREST 348R 5th wheel
2002 SUNDOWNER gooseneck horse trailer

Posted By: Craig95005 on 02/16/12 02:24pm

Professor, we have the Rand-McNally 5510 and used it on a four month circuit of the country last fall. We liked it, and I can't imagine a trip without a GPS, but its routing seemed far from perfect.

It would often send us on complicated routes, with many turns, when a straight shot was available. Maybe they all do that, but I don't remember our old Garmin doing so in our cars, and in a motorhome, the fewer turns the better, of course. It would be nice if there was an option something like Direct routes when available, even when convoluted routing might be slightly shorter.

I also noticed that if you are making the same trip - campground to town, for example - multiple times, the routes are often quite different - telling me that there is a randomness to the software's initial try for routing, and that the GPS doesn't experiment with all available routing options before selecting the best one.

One issue for me was that when you are off a main road, such as in a campground, and you enter a new destination, the GPS doesn't tell you which direction you are supposed to turn when you reach the designated road. Sometimes you can figure it out from the position of the RV symbol on the screen, but not always.

Did you notice any or all of those issues?

We are considering getting a second GPS, to supplement our Rand-McNally and give us a second opinion on routing. Would prefer not to spend the big bucks of a second RV-specific unit. What would you recommend? Thanks for the thread.

Posted By: Miles Away on 02/17/12 10:02am

After considerable research on my own for an RV friendly GPS, I recently purchased the Rand McNally 7700, and I can say that it by far the best GPS I have ever used. My last GPS was a GARMIN and it did not hold a candle to my first GPS, which was a LOWRANCE. The mapping on the LOWRANCE and its POI features were far superior to the GARMIN and required less button pushing. Unfortunately, Lowrance got out of the traffic GPS business several years ago and updates for their older units have not been available since 2008.

After playing with both the Rand McNally and Magellan at a Camping World Store, I choose the R/M for is superior mapping and ease of use (less button pushing to pull up POI's). Magellan makes a good product, have been in the GPS business for ever, and enjoy an excellent track record. I don't know who makes the R/M, so I was a little leery about buying one, but its' features and ease of use won me over. My only complaint about the R/M is that the screen is susceptible to glare and can be difficult to see in the daylight. A shade cover is available from R/M and it helps.

Someone mentioned that the Magellan has a Bluetooth feature and the R/M does not. I had Bluetooth on my GARMIN and because of its' mounting location, no one could hear me, even when I shouted, so this was not a requirement for me. So for this reason alone, if your looking for Bluetooth, I would look for another option and not hang my hat on one in a GPS unit.

Someone else mentioned real time traffic updates. Again I had this feature on my GARMIN and found that it worked "OK", but not great. It works only around large metropolitan areas, with huge gaps in between. For example, if you are traveling North on I-75 from Florida to the Mid-West, after you pass Orlando, you will not have coverage until you reach Atlanta, it then jumps to Knoxville and then to Cincinnati. That's a long drive and a lot of open road with only three traffic updates.
A Traffic-RDS Coverage Map can be found on the NAVTEQ Traffic web site.

Posted By: Us out West on 02/17/12 12:05pm

My RM 7700 is on the UPS delivery truck and will be here sometime today.

Looking forward to getting it up and running.

Where/how did you mount it?

Posted By: Craig95005 on 02/17/12 12:11pm

We mounted ours on a vertical face of the console, next to the radio, so that both pilot and copilot have access. You'll need a smooth, glass-like surface in order for the suction cup to work.

Posted By: Us out West on 02/17/12 04:50pm

thanks Craig.

7710 arrived this afternoon and have the dock loaded. Looks to have a lot of good information that we were looking for. now a matter of finding a good place to mount it and would prefer on the dash. We have the disk for the suction cup from our Garmin still in place and maybe get another disk for the 7710 to go next to the Garmin. the 7710 would then be more centered also. Do really not like the idea of mounting to the windshield.

Now to take it on a trip and see how it does.

Posted By: professor95 on 02/17/12 08:02pm

Craig95005 wrote:

Professor, we have the Rand-McNally 5510 and used it on a four month circuit of the country last fall. We liked it, and I can't imagine a trip without a GPS, but its routing seemed far from perfect.

It would often send us on complicated routes, with many turns, when a straight shot was available. Maybe they all do that, but I don't remember our old Garmin doing so in our cars, and in a motorhome, the fewer turns the better, of course. It would be nice if there was an option something like Direct routes when available, even when convoluted routing might be slightly shorter.

I also noticed that if you are making the same trip - campground to town, for example - multiple times, the routes are often quite different - telling me that there is a randomness to the software's initial try for routing, and that the GPS doesn't experiment with all available routing options before selecting the best one.

One issue for me was that when you are off a main road, such as in a campground, and you enter a new destination, the GPS doesn't tell you which direction you are supposed to turn when you reach the designated road. Sometimes you can figure it out from the position of the RV symbol on the screen, but not always.

Did you notice any or all of those issues?

We are considering getting a second GPS, to supplement our Rand-McNally and give us a second opinion on routing. Would prefer not to spend the big bucks of a second RV-specific unit. What would you recommend? Thanks for the thread.

I ran both the RM and Magellan from Richmond to Little Rock over the past two days (1100 miles). RM was fantastic with speed, curve and grade warnings right on the money. All the Magellan did was tell me to get 5000 points at Best Western. Coming into Little Rock and moving over to I-30 it was sending me to no-man's land. I was greatly disappointed. The RM7710 was my salvation.

Rather than a second GPS I would suggest the Trailer Life campground and routing DVD that works something like Microsoft Streets and Trips. Cost is something like $40. It took me awhile to learn how to use it but I really like it now. I used it before I set up my last route in the GPS for verification. Next route is down to Mobile and then over to the Florida Panhandle. I'll report how it goes.

Posted By: pulsar on 02/18/12 10:41am

Miles Away wrote:

pulsar wrote:

professor95 wrote:

Tom

Why not just save your location in your address book and identify it by the name of the campground. To return, just pull up the name of the campground and "GO".

Because my GPS makes it very easy to set a new location as home - 4 touches of the screen (selecting: Where to, Edit, Set home location, and Use My Current Location) and two touches of the screen to get the home route (selecting: Where to and Go Home)

Tom

Posted By: professor95 on 02/18/12 08:08pm

just me wrote:

Just noticed on the forums there is discussion on apps for your I-phone for a RV check list. The Rand McNally GPS has these check off list and you can add to them or remove the items that don't apply to your rig. Also there is a spot to keep track of vehicle maintenance and repairs. A lot of different little corners one can dive into.

I have an i-Phone as well and have downloaded several apps like you mentioned. But, I have found the battery in the RVN7710 to be good for at least an hour of use when popped off of the mount in the TV and MUCH easier to read with my old eyes. The 7710 disconnects extremely easy with no fuss or messing up the adjustment of the mount. It is easy to carry the unit around as you check off your custom items. Don't know about you young'uns but if I get distracted while setting up or breaking down I can forget something. Having a convenient check off gives me some security about forgetting. I still do the paper inspection check-off for the mechanical things on the tow vehicle and lights but stuff like the television antenna, locking hatch doors, turning off lights, water heater, pump, locking cabinets, etc. is more easily done (for me anyway) with the handheld custom check list.

I have not experienced any problems in the truck cab with glare on the 7710 screen - day or night. I think a lot depends on the mounting position and screening from outside light. The anti-glare screen sounds interesting though - sort of like the one I had for the old laptop with a reflective TFT screen. BTW - I have more trouble seeing the i-Phone screen outside than the 7710 GPS

Just my experiences - maybe some that will help someone else?

Posted By: Jack&Kay on 03/25/12 05:33pm

It seems that both units now offer Lifetime Map updates according to the CW catalogue. I see that the Magellan has Mac compatible sofware, but I'm not sure about the Rand McNally unit. I have sent them an e-mail asking about that. Not being Mac compatible is a big isuue for me. Looks like a seperate question I had on glare migh have been answered. thanks

Jack & Kay
2007 Tiffin Allegro 28DA
Ford Chassis V-10
Blue Ox Tow Bar to a 94 Honda Accord
FMCA #F341229

Posted By: emiddleb on 03/25/12 08:53pm

Jack,

I just received my RM 7710 and it does have an insert telling how to load the docking software with instructions for both Windows and Mac, and at the support site you have the option of downloading either version...

Dock download

I don't have a Mac so I can't tell you more, but it does exist.

Posted By: Jack&Kay on 03/25/12 11:18pm

Oh wow, that's great. I am glad to hear that. I'm sure they will answer and reafirm too. Keep me posted, if you would on how you are doing with your unit. I downlaoded the manual and it's much better than the Magellan manual, with much more detail. I now have a copy of both on my iPad so when I'm ready to choose......

Posted By: hindes on 03/26/12 09:15am

I have a RVND 7710 and it works very well with my Mac. There is software for Mac.

Jim

Posted By: moisheh on 04/08/12 07:38am

This has been an excellent thread! Very informative. Professor you should be writing product reviews for a living! Thanks! I will note that in the not too distant future most of these devices could become illegal due to driver distraction laws. I think the Professor's multiple video screens on the dash are illegal in Alberta today! They sure know how to spoil a guy's fun.

Moisheh

Posted By: luv2tup on 04/08/12 01:05pm

I bought the Magellan 7" 9165T-LM to replace a Magellan 4040 but soon discovered the many short comings and more importantly, found out I couldn't use my custom RV related POI files so I took it back for a refund. I also found the One-Touch feature to be redundant/useless for a navigation device.

When I telephoned Magellan tech support, they told me the SD memory card slot was non-functional. WTF? I was also told that Magellan has disabled the use of 3rd party POI files so people can not load red light camera locations! Again, WTF?

I'll keep using my Magellan 4040 because I can and want to use my custom RV POI's, but in the mean time, I'm shopping for the best deal for a Rand McNally RVND7710 which will allow the use of 3rd party or custom POI files.

So if anyone from Magellan is listening, it wouldn't take much in the way of a software up-date to make the RV9165T an excellent GPS. IMO, the Magellan has the potential to be the hands down winner in the RV category.

Posted By: professor95 on 04/08/12 04:03pm

moisheh wrote:

I think the Professor's multiple video screens on the dash are illegal in Alberta today! They sure know how to spoil a guy's fun.

Moisheh

I'm probably illegal - period.

Front facing video screens can be a gray area in some locations. Most all of the lower 48 now only disallow front facing video screens that the driver can see if they are for "entertainment" - like playing a movie. Video screens for communications devices, navigation and rearward visibility are legal. It's a changin' world and amazing what we can now do with microchips and TFT displays.

BTW - with the external, non-image reversing video input feature of the Magellan 9165 you can plug in a portable DVD player and watch a movie while driving. The input was designed to use their accessory video back-up camera but they reversed the image at the camera rather than in the GPS display. The GPS automatically switches to video when a signal is present on the input line.

You know, I can get directions from a panhandler on a street corner, on the CB or even look it up on a map. My iPhone can dub as a directional GPS when needed to get me from point A to point B. What I really appreciate with a RV specific GPS is the availability of information specific to my type of vehicle that I cannot easily access otherwise. When this makes my travel safer, it is a worthy device.

Posted By: moisheh on 04/13/12 04:25pm

We were coming through Nebraska 2 weeks ago and I noticed a small old junky SUV that was wandering from the shoulder to the outside lane ( I-80 She was 3 cars in front of me. I stayed back for awhilke and watched as she looked down and wandered. Either reading a book or texting. When I got close to her I hit the air horn and passed her. Gave her a wide berth. Yup she was texting. Maybe 25 years old. How stupid!! I am envisioning the Professor watching Hangover on his GPS. Wouldn't that be a site? The youtube video would go viral.

Moisheh

Posted By: professor95 on 04/15/12 03:49pm

moisheh wrote:

I am envisioning the Professor watching Hangover on his GPS. Wouldn't that be a site? The youtube video would go viral.

Moisheh

Yes, I agree texting is stupid and I will NEVER watch a video while driving. Truthfully, I don't have time I need to scan my gauges for oil pressure, air pressure, turbo temperature, coolant temperature, transmission temperature, RPM and road speed. Once I finish that scan I check the tire pressure monitor to be sure all 14 tires are performing OK, check both the left and right side rear view mirrors, look in the rear view camera monitor and check the monitor for my right hand blind spot. Then, I might take a glance at the GPS to be sure I am not lost. While doing all of this I am also watching the road ahead. My co-pilot mans the iPhone and computer as needed. It takes a lot to safely drive a big RV (or a small car) - inattention from texting, eating, putting on make-up, fooling with a radio, iPod, phone, CB, etc. all take away from attention needed for driving. Shucks, I rarely even talk to my passenger while driving. That in itself is a distraction.

Keep it between the lines

Posted By: Montana D and J on 07/08/12 03:33pm

Appreciating this informative topic thread. Am sitting here trying to decide on taking the plunge for a Magellan Road-mate RV 9145 -- can't tell if the maps are as comprehensive as the Garmin car models - with split screen and reality views.

My husband and I are about to purchase our first rv (Class A) and will be flying to destination for purchase then 'first-time' drive it the 1200 miles home(oh my!.)

Will back up with my iPad navigation, but think the RV route guidance with the RV specifics programed in will be especially helpful.

Are the Magellan maps as good as the Garmin?

Posted By: just me on 07/21/12 07:55am

Just watch the sales @ RM/Campingworld and get the unit when you get free up-grades at no cost. You can get up to two up grades a year pluse the new stuff they bring on line with out extra $.

Posted By: professor95 on 07/19/12 01:22pm

All of the maps and related road info come from the same database, which is not specific to the the manufacturer.

Some models, like the RVND 5" and 7" from Rand McNally have a user interface to report errors in the map. RM will investigate and if they confirm something is in error will make changes. I do not know if other makes do the same or not.

How the GPS selects routing is extremely important to me, especially with a big RV. I have been extremely pleased with the routes selected by my RVND7710. I also like the RM's "dashboard" showing elevation, % of uphill vs. downhill driving, speed, Interstate mile marker, route time and mileage, etc. Speed, sharp turn, time change, state line, tolol road warnings and more are also useful.

What I am saying is the maps are not the feature I would use to select a GPS (as long as they are up-to-date). There is a whole lot more to consider in your selection.

Congratulations on getting your new Class A! I hope you have a safe and pleasant trip home.

Posted By: 1775 on 07/19/12 05:13pm

Rand McNally is now offering lifetime maps with the 7710 for just $50 more. Or a lifetime map package can be added to any of their RV GPS for $89. This is looking better and better.

There have been a number of comments on the lists that the Magellan will not allow third party POIS such as from POI Factory to be added. Plus other complaints about the Magellan. The Rand Mcnally units get the most positive reviews.

Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Posted By: professor95 on 07/21/12 12:09pm

1775 wrote:

Plus other complaints about the Magellan. The Rand Mcnally units get the most positive reviews.

Don't get me wrong, the Magellan is an extremely nice RV GPS that anyone should be proud to own. But, after running both the Magellan and RM units side-by-side for 5K+ miles across 11 states I had to make a decision which one to keep in the truck cab (space was getting scarce). I elected to keep the RM unit as my prime GPS. Neither one is perfect - they both have what I refer to as "user flaws". It is just that the RM seemed to present fewer than the Magellan for my preferences.

Posted By: papaharv on 07/23/12 03:07pm

Very informative article, thanks. Just a few questions though. On the RVND 7710 POIs, does it list diesel fuel stops or just fuel stops in general? Does it list public campgrounds also or just goodsam listings? If not,does it have enough space to download POIs from the POI factory on public campgrounds? Are you able to deleat or uninstall unused programs to allow for more space and or quicker computing times e.g. foreign languages etc? Will it mount on my beanbag mount that I use on my present GPS, a Garmin nuvi 750? Which by the way is only three years old and already discontinued and not updateable at, least according to Garmin.

Also does the 5510 have the same programing as the 7710, but just a smaller screen?

It may be eight or nine months before our next long trip into Canada and beyond, but Iam looking to see whats out there. Thanks again.

Posted By: emiddleb on 07/23/12 04:24pm

The POIs that are built into the 7710 has a filter. You choose "travel centers" in their POI, then you can select from what they claim in the manual (I haven't counted them) are over 70 services... among which are "truck diesel", "24 HR diesel", "red diesel", "gasoline", "propane" etc. So you can choose to have it only offer POIs that have 24hr diesel and propane for example.

It does have plenty of room to download POIs from the Factory. No way to delete installed programs but you can add or remove your custom POIs.

Not familiar with your beanbag. The unit is heavy and takes a large one to support it properly. Lots of threads on mounts elsewhere.

Yes, same software on the 5510.

Posted By: professor95 on 07/23/12 05:34pm

papaharv wrote:

Does it list public campgrounds also or just goodsam listings?

Also does the 5510 have the same programing as the 7710, but just a smaller screen?

I

With the new free download the 7710 contains all of the campgrounds listed in the 2012 Woodall's directory. This includes public, private, municipal, state, national, Corps of Engineers and GoodSam affiliated. While Woodall's is now owned by GoodSam Enterprises it does not feature GoodSam parks in the same manner as the Trailer Life Directory. BTW - the Magellan uses the Trailer Life Directory.

The memory card slot in the 7710 is functional and expands memory for the storage of additional POI's and saved routing locations.

The "new" RVND Dock software is much more comprehensive and functional that the original version that came out last year. Just be careful about backing up your GPS via the Dock to your PC if the hard drive is getting full. The back-up consumes over 3GB of HD space.

Posted By: jassrnj on 07/24/12 10:40am

It sounds like the RVND 7710 is the better of the two. How does the RVND compare to the Germin DEZL 560LMT?

Posted By: professor95 on 07/24/12 06:05pm

jassrnj wrote:

It sounds like the RVND 7710 is the better of the two. How does the RVND compare to the Germin DEZL 560LMT?

"Better" is an unmeasurable and ambiguous term . To truthfully define better we need a list of measurable features for comparison - and then we define better only by the listed measurable features.

I can say that the RVND7710 is better for ME, but I cannot universally say it is a better GPS. It all depends on what features YOU find valuable. For example, the RVND does not have bluetooth and cannot be used as a back-up video monitor - the Magellan does. Are those features that you value?

I know nothing about the Garmin.

Posted By: papaharv on 08/07/12 12:35pm

I have downloaded the manual for the 5510 and 7710 and have not found in the manual any mention of percent of grades. On the vertual dashboard it shows the speed up and down grades, has the grade percent feature been discontinued or am I just missing something?

Posted By: professor95 on 08/07/12 03:56pm

papaharv wrote:

I have downloaded the manual for the 5510 and 7710 and have not found in the manual any mention of percent of grades. On the vertual dashboard it shows the speed up and down grades, has the grade percent feature been discontinued or am I just missing something?

No, you are not missing something. As noted, the grade feature applies to speed. If I wrote something otherwise previously I will blame it on senior-itis.

I have been looking at the new RM TND720 for truckers with considerable interest. While it will not have the Woodall's Campground Directory the added features are enticing. Routing for RV's should pretty much coincide with big trucks - excepting weight stations.

Posted By: jassrnj on 08/08/12 09:32am

I wonder how the RM TND7200 would compare to the Gar;min DEZL 560LMT. They seem to be the two that most people are looking at in the area of Truck GPS.

Posted By: Bob Vaughn on 08/08/12 10:29am

I do not like my 7710 when I downloaded POI's once you down load them from your computer then you must disconnect the gps from your computer and plug in the AC power to the gps. It then installs them. That takes hours, that is why your gps must be plugged into ac power. My garmin only takes minutes to do what it takes the Rand McNally hours to do.....Yes I am totally dissatisfied with my 400 dollar rand mcnally purchase...

Posted By: emiddleb on 08/08/12 03:43pm

Bob, I wonder if something is wrong with your 7710 or the POI files. What you are stating hasn't been my experience.

Yes, you do have to plug in to AC, probably a safety feature and I agree that shouldn't be needed if you are fully charged.

However, hours? I just for grins downloaded the "Diners Drive-ins and Dives" POI file and the "Wallmart Sams Club Superstores" POI file from POIFactory. Loaded both at the same time. Figured they'd be a good-size test.

Results... over 7300 records (994 rejected) loaded and ready in 7 minutes.

Could you give an example of a POI file that's taking so long? I'd be willing to try it on mine.

Posted By: moisheh on 08/08/12 06:29pm

I too have been considering the 720 trucker model. But Rand seems to bring items to market that are really Beta models. The 720 is a huge improvement over the 710 but still has many problems. I am thinking that soon they will be introducing a new model to replace the 7710. Maybe modeled after the 720.

Moisheh

Posted By: Us out West on 08/08/12 06:56pm

The 7710 is relatively new...why would they replace it?

Posted By: professor95 on 08/08/12 08:25pm

Us out West wrote:

Isn't that what was asked about the iphone 4?

Seriously, I have no idea when a "new" 7710 might appear, but I am sure it will. RM and Magellan have been duking it out in the 7" RV specific market for well over a year. My feelings are that RM will try to better their features (as will Magellan) to capture a larger share of the market. Magellan hyped having the Trailer Life directory database, RM recently added the Woodall's directory database to close the information gap between the two. Now that both Trailer Life and Woodall's are owned by Good Sam Enterprises one wonders if they will continue with two competing directories or perhaps merge them into one. If this should happen, will RM and Magellan have the same campground database? The 7710 does not have Wi-Fi, bluetooth or capabilities to double as a video monitor for a rear view/back-up camera. The new RM Trucker 720 adds Wi-Fi, live weather and video input - two features that I would consider "desirable" in a full featured GPS. I also suspect that GPS companies are taking a lot of heat from the growing app and features market for Smart Phones. It would not surprise me to see the technologies merge in the near future. My next guess is that the trucker GPS market is in decline and more enticements are needed (like live weather) to hold onto the user base. Fleet operators have shifted away from GPS units in favor of laptops, tablets and their own satellite based routing/tracking systems. The independents are the prime source of GPS products for trucking.

Disclaimer: This is ONLY my opinion and speculation. My crystal ball is not Windows 8 compatible

Posted By: pulsar on 08/08/12 09:05pm

professor95 wrote:

Us out West wrote:

Isn't that what was asked about the iphone 4?

Seriously, I have no idea when a "new" 7710 might appear, but I am sure it will. RM and Magellan have been duking it out in the 7" RV specific market for well over a year. My feelings are that RM will try to better their features (as will Magellan) to capture a larger share of the market. Magellan hyped having the Trailer Life directory database, RM recently added the Woodall's directory database to close the information gap between the two. Now that both Trailer Life and Woodall's are owned by Good Sam Enterprises one wonders if they will continue with two competing directories or perhaps merge them into one. If this should happen, will RM and Magellan have the same campground database? The 7710 does not have Wi-Fi, bluetooth or capabilities to double as a video monitor for a rear view/back-up camera. The new RM Trucker 720 adds Wi-Fi, live weather and video input - two features that I would consider "desirable" in a full featured GPS. I also suspect that GPS companies are taking a lot of heat from the growing app and features market for Smart Phones. It would not surprise me to see the technologies merge in the near future. My next guess is that the trucker GPS market is in decline and more enticements are needed (like live weather) to hold onto the user base. Fleet operators have shifted away from GPS units in favor of laptops, tablets and their own satellite based routing/tracking systems. The independents are the prime source of GPS products for trucking.

Disclaimer: This is ONLY my opinion and speculation. My crystal ball is not Windows 8 compatible

Trailer Life became part of Affinity Group, Inc in 1992. Woodall's became part of AGI in 1995.

Tom

Posted By: professor95 on 08/09/12 08:37pm

pulsar wrote:

Trailer Life became part of Affinity Group, Inc in 1992. Woodall's became part of AGI in 1995.

Tom

Tom, Affinity Group, Inc and Affinity Group LLC are gone. Good Sam Enterprises is the new combined company owning Good Sam, Trailer Life, MotorHome, Camping Life, Woodall's, Camping World, Camp Club USA (now merged with Passport America), and Camp Coast to Coast. Ownership includes the very forum we are currently exchanging information on. The new CEO is Marcus Lemonis. Here is another link from Bloomberg addressing the change.

* This post was edited 08/09/12 08:47pm by professor95 *

Posted By: pulsar on 08/09/12 08:48pm

professor95 wrote:

pulsar wrote:

Tom

Tom, Affinity Group, Inc and Affinity Group LLC are gone. Good Sam Enterprises is the new combined company owning Good Sam, Trailer Life, MotorHome, Camping Life, Woodall's, Camping World, Camp Club USA (now merged with Passport America), and Camp Coast to Coast. The CEO is Marcus Lemonis. Here is another link from Bloomberg addressing the change.

My point was, they have been owned by the same company since 1995. Your "Now that both Trailer Life and Woodall's are owned by Good Sam Enterprises..." makes it sound like that being owned by the same company is something new for the two directories.

In mine opinion, whether or not they merge will be decided by factores other than they are owned by the same company.

Tom

Posted By: professor95 on 08/10/12 06:41pm

pulsar wrote:

In mine opinion, whether or not they merge will be decided by factores other than they are owned by the same company.

Tom

OK - I now understand what you are saying. Yes, Woodall's and Trailer Life were owned by the same company before Trailer Life Enterprises replaced AG. It is those "other" factors that appear to be streamlining the two names (specifically the directory) toward one product. "If" the directories are combined then it is possible that Magellan and Rand McNally will have the same campground database.

I should not have made my statement in a manner to imply their joint ownership was new.

Posted By: professor95 on 08/15/12 08:54am

It is no longer a question "if" the Woodall's and Trailer Life Directories will unite into one publication. According to the Highway's GS Club magazine received in the mail yesterday it is happeneing.

Now, back to my original wonderment as to what comes next - Will the newer RM and Magellan models have the same campground database? Will RM provide yet another update for current owners in 2013?

This could get interesting.........

Posted By: professor95 on 09/18/12 07:47pm

RM is set to start shipping the new 7720 in November. So, a newer replacement model with a combination of features with the current 7710 and 720 is at hand.

Magellan has 3 new Roadmate units currently available. I will be receiving one of these units later this week and testing it on a 3,500 mile trip October and November.

Big changes are coming. I will detail these later - but they all look great for RVing.

Posted By: Mike and Kathy H on 09/19/12 12:29pm

pulsar wrote:

Miles Away wrote:

pulsar wrote:

professor95 wrote:

Tom

Because my GPS makes it very easy to set a new location as home - 4 touches of the screen (selecting: Where to, Edit, Set home location, and Use My Current Location) and two touches of the screen to get the home route (selecting: Where to and Go Home)

Tom

There is one situation in which using the backtracks feature is better than resetting Home or telling it to Go to the campground -- that is when the campground is large with multiple roads that are not "digitized" -- i.e. where the gps cannot route you over those roads. I have the RM7710 and recently used the backtrack feature in such a situation -- it couldn't tell me when to turn, but when I got to a fork on non-digitized roads, I could see which fork I had used before.

Mike and Kathy H
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT

Posted By: bernese2 on 09/23/12 12:36am

Hi!

My husband and I are looking into getting an RV-specific GPS. The one thing that is not clear to me when reading about the units is the POI. We drive a diesel class A and would like a GPS that will tell us where the truck stops are for fueling.

Do either the Rand McNally or Magellan include these as POIs?

Thanks and happy trails.

Lesley

Posted By: just me on 09/23/12 07:08am

The RM does have this feature. They have so much info that it'll drive you bonkers, and wish for just basic info some times. And they are all different in what the manuf. put in it.

Posted By: moisheh on 09/23/12 07:41am

Professor: Do not forget the new 7 inch Garmin which should be out by Xmas. Until the new models are here I will continue to wander around lost! Well actually I will continue to use my outdated 7 inch Garmin 7200.

Moisheh

Posted By: njtony on 09/23/12 08:18am

I have the rm 5510 smaller screen. I am finding ,like with my older unit screen does not keep pace with real time speed. Have had to make a few too many u turns.

Posted By: pulsar on 09/23/12 08:29am

njtony wrote:

I have the rm 5510 smaller screen. I am finding ,like with my older unit screen does not keep pace with real time speed. Have had to make a few too many u turns.

How far in advance does it alert you to a turn?

Tom

Posted By: Us out West on 09/23/12 08:38am

Click here for some FAQ's.

Our RN 7710 is a great tool.

Posted By: Hudsoner on 09/23/12 09:57am

I am in the market for a RV specific GPS. I just wonder whether I should get one of the here discussed versions, or whether I should buy a tablet pc with a build in GPS and the truckers software. Tablets and the GPS described here cost about the same. Tablets have an even larger screen and can be used for other things. Can you give me any advise what would be better? I own a netbook and could live without a tablet, if that is not as good as a stand alone GPS.

Posted By: Robin1953 on 09/23/12 11:18am

Just an FYI that I received from Garmin about their forth coming unit.

"Dear Robin Brumfield,

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

The dezl 560LMT was made for trucking, RV, and normal automotive use. This device has an option where you can switch to "RV mode" so that you can still enter an RV profile with details about your RV, but avoid trucking specific restrictions. You can also switch it to the normal automotive mode for just driving in a normal automobile. We now also have a dezl 760LMT that still has the RV mode. The dezl 760LMT won't be available until sometime between October to December though. You can see both of these devices here: Garmin DEZL 760LMT

We don't have any devices made only for RV use, but we do have these couple of devices that have an RV specific mode on them. This way if you decide to use the device in an normal automobile or a semi-truck, then you don't have to buy a new device, because you can just switch the operating mode instead. If you need anything more, please reply.

With Best Regards,

Edward M.
Product Support Specialist
2nd Shift Automotive
Garmin International
913-397-8200
800-800-1020
913-440-8280 (fax) Att: Edward M., Associate #5642
www.garmin.com

Additional solutions may be found at http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support/searchsupport"

Posted By: just me on 09/24/12 08:35am

pulsar wrote:

njtony wrote:

How far in advance does it alert you to a turn?

Tom

Depens on how maney alerts you want and how far you specifiy. mine is set for three but I just ignor it half the time anyway. Then 1/4 mile from my turn it goes to 3/D for the turn/interchange etc.

Posted By: professor95 on 09/24/12 08:09pm

The new Garmin looks interesting, but unfortunately for me I have yet to develop a working relationship with Garmin to get a comp/evaluation unit. If Garmin was hooked up with Good Sam like RM and Magellan I could possibly get one.

I received the new Magellan 9165T-LM last Wednesday along with their back-up camera. The biggest change I have seen so far is not having pop up advertisements for live traffic. The LM is for Lifetime map updates. You do pay more in the purchase price for lifetime maps and no-ad live traffic. Other than that the unit physically looks the same and operates the same as the previous model. It appears to be faster, but that may just be my imagination. I hope to install the camera before we leave for Kansas. The unit will be getting a good workout on our next trip (about 3,500 miles). My first Magellan review will be forthcoming on blog.woodalls.com along with my previous 9165T and RM7710 reviews.

RM can't get their new 7720 to me before November. I asked for a 720 but they told me to wait for the RV model. There are many changes that are suppose to be in the 7720. Wi-Fi connectability, bluetooth, new RM propriety maps, revised case styling, ability to hook up a rearview camera or use as video monitor are some shared.

I have also learned that the Magellan and RM will not share the same campground database even with Trailer Life and Woodall's directories being combined. The story is the Magellan will have the full new combined directory with Good Sam parks featured. The RM will not have the Good Sam parks featured and will lack some of the TL info. Again - this is not official and I just have to wait and see what is in what.

I'm not at all surprised at the letter from Garmin. Actually, I like the way they explained the features of choosing RV, Truck or car. Other than weight stations and hazmat restrictions big RV and truck routing should be the same as I believe they all rely on the North American Truck Routing database. RV's also have some length restrictions for certain states that differ from trucks.

I'll report on how the Magellan handles live traffic and routing over the next few weeks.

Posted By: just me on 09/25/12 07:41am

As a side note you can alter the routing by changing the specification, by in creasing the size or decreasing the size of your unit information you enter into the GPS. says so in the owners manual. Live traffic with the RM does work. You just have to buy the pricey connector/receiver.

Posted By: moisheh on 09/25/12 08:39am

Trucker Forum Thread Re RM720

Professor and others may find the above thread interesting. Some of it is old ( 2010) but there is lots of info on the 720. Might give us a hint of what to expect with the 7720. Interesting that the OP of this thread is an RM rep. who travels the country going to truck shows and setting up @ various truck stops. You will find some negative posts on RM customer service but the truckers are lucky to have this rep. He has helped a lot of customers. To RM's credit they did make a lot of changes to the 720. Including a bulletproof USB power connector that was problematic in earlier models. Many truckers buy their electronics @ the truck stops and purchase the extended warranties. For them this is a no brainer. When they have a problem the item can be exchanged at the truck stop's branches anywhere in the USA. Nice feature. I have had 2 Garmins. My first one had power connector problems and after 2 years became junk. My 7200 Garmin has lost the internal connection to the antenna and I have been using an external one. A $20 or $30 extra warranty might be a good idea. Professor: You reviews are AWESOME!! Thanks

Moisheh

Posted By: professor95 on 09/25/12 08:42pm

I updated the 7710 today via the RM Dock. Then, I opened and registered at the poifactory for the first time. It is an awesome site and has oddles of info on a number of different GPS units. I did download several new POIs to the 7710 - Walmart locations, Flying-J fuel stops and universal diesel fuel stops. There are a lot more that I would like to add. I do have a 8G micro SD card in the 7710 which apparently helps with the added POIs and saved trips.

Posted By: professor95 on 11/05/12 09:12am

I have been running the new Magellan 9165T-LM since early October - or more appropriately close to 4,000 miles from NC to central Kansas and back east. The new maps are a welcome upgrade as is the live traffic without advertisements for Shell fuel stations and Best Western Rewards popping up in my face all the time. There have been many sutile changes to the unit that make it what I call "smoother". The speed of entry and operation is much, much faster than the previous model and blows the RVND7710 away (on speed of entry). I have the wireless back-up camera and it has worked well. Unlike some other small wireless cameras I have tried there has been no condensation or moisture entry to the camera lens. The right to update maps at any time has proven to be more worthwhile than I originally believed. I am still disappointed in the mount provided for the unit - unless you have a class A motorhome with a windshield way out in front of the driver and need a long extension arm to reach the comfortable view point it is cumbersome and difficult to attach to - for example - a pick-up truck windshield.

I am expecting a new RM7720 this week and will be running them both side-by-side to see how they compare. The 7720 should be in retail stores before Christmas as the release date was Nov. 1st.

I understand Garmin has a new RV GPS due out Jan. 1st.

Posted By: Finally on 11/10/12 12:57pm

We just tried out the new Rand McNally 7720. It is still hard to see with much sunlight coming through the window. Garmin has a much better interface and is much more user friendly. e are returning it to Amazon.

I am going to call Garmin Monday morning and ask if they are coming out with an RV specific GPS January 1st, 2013. We hope that will happen. BY FAR, our Garmin 330 Street Pilot with the Bus setting is much better than Rand McNally's 7720 0r 7710. Garmin's starting with State, then city, then street and street number, makes a lot more sense than RM's searching for town or zipcode etc etc. Really, how many 1st streets are there in the U.S. to have to go through.

We've given the Rand McNally 7710 and 7720 a fair try. We'll keep our Garmin with maps from 2010, and hopefully Garmin will come out with one for RV's and Motor Homes.

2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2005 Tiffin Phaeton Sold
2009 Lincoln MKX
and Milli

Posted By: Finally on 11/10/12 01:04pm

Moshieh, please post to this thread when and if you hear of Garmin coming out with an RV specific GPS. We thought about ordering the Garmin DEZL 560LMT, but read that it would divert motor homes way out of the way, because it was made mostly for Truckers. Surely Garmin will make on RV specific since so many of us prefer Garmin.

Posted By: professor95 on 11/14/12 06:45pm

I received a RM 7720 about 1,000 miles back. I do not have a newer Garmin to compare it to so can't comment on better or worse. I have discovered that the 7720 is much faster than the 7710 when entering information. The 7710 would often freeze for 10 seconds or so then continue - the 7720 does not.

The case on the 7720 is the same as the Trucker 720 - no longer a "snap out" design like the 7710. The Wi-Fi does work and you get real time weather as you move around. Since I must use my iPhone as a wireless hot spot I have only turned it on occasionally.

The 7720 I received has lifetime maps, which is great. Many routing changes compared to the 7710. The 7720 also has an input jack for a back-up camera. The camera must be reverse image as the GPS does not mirror.

I like the 7720 and feel it is an improvement over the 7710. I have no problem with sunlight where I have it mounted nor the method by which addresses are entered. You do city/state or zip code, street then number. You can also enter lat/lon coordinates, intersection or city center. You can save them under groups and with any name you choose.

My biggest pleasure is seeing GPS makers finally realizing that there is a market for RV specific units. My old "car only" GPS receivers were not suitable for a 16 ton, 13 foot tall and 64 foot long rig.

Posted By: MikeinWis on 11/29/12 10:13am

Proffesor95 - in your latest post regarding the RM 7720 you said " The Wi-Fi does work and you get real time weather as you move around. Since I must use my iPhone as a wireless hot spot I have only turned it on occasionally." Two questions: 1)does this feature on the 7720 eat up gobs of data usage on your phone - that is why you leave it off? and 2) does the 7720 have a convenient way to plan multi-leg trips on the pc and then upload it to the gps? thanks, Mike

Posted By: professor95 on 12/02/12 06:54pm

MikeinWis wrote:

Proffesor95 - in your latest post regarding the RM 7720 you said " The Wi-Fi does work and you get real time weather as you move around. Since I must use my iPhone as a wireless hot spot I have only turned it on occasionally." Two questions: 1)does this feature on the 7720 eat up gobs of data usage on your phone - that is why you leave it off? and 2) does the 7720 have a convenient way to plan multi-leg trips on the pc and then upload it to the gps? thanks, Mike

Mike - it CAN eat up a lot of data on the iPhone. While I think the wireless is neat, truthfully I don't need real time WX through the GPS. But, I only speak for myself. I am contemplating some other uses for the Wi-Fi connectivity but have not done anything to date to see if it works the way I want.

As for uploading maps for multi-leg trips from a computer software program to the GPS I am not aware of anything that allows, for example, MS Streets and Trips or Under Tow to upload to the RM. I could do this on my old Garmin and thought it was neat - but then again the Garmin did not have lifetime maps and was more out of date thus the need. Since the 7720 has ample memory for POI uploads from the POIfactory it should be capable of map uploads but I do not know how (yet). The 7720 (and 7710) will allow you to select your route with don't go there options along with multiple stopping stopover or routing points. It is easy to cancel GPS routing and select your own - it will even give you detour routing as desired. I let the RM select my route, click to review what it has selected and then go back and change it to a different route if needed. The computer software I use for mapping is not as specific for vehicle type as the 7720 - thus the 7720 does a better job of randomly selecting a route.

Since the 7720 has Wi-Fi I have suggested to RM that a future firmware update include the ability to send routing to a wireless printer for hard copy. IMHO, that would be a plus feature.

I still have a lot to learn about this device.

Print  |  Close