|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel Backup cameras

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
frac999

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/12 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have any suggestions for good backup cameras for 5th wheel. How do you run wires to cab or is there wireless?

soling2003

Federal Way, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/12 12:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the Rear View Safety cam in our 5th wheel. It works great, even has audio. Can be hooked up to multiple cams or dvd too. Went the wired route, as they seem to be more reliable more often. Did have to run a wire from the cam on the rear ladder underneath to the pin box, then along the wore to the truck. Connection there by the plug and then under the truck, through a rubber gromet in the cab behind the rear seat, to the dash. Hooked up the power through an upfitter swithc so I can turn it on whenever I want. I can watch the cars behind me while going down the freeway.

DW and 2 dogs
2011 Ford F350 Dually LB 4x4 CC 6.7 diesel
2007 Grand Junction 35TMS
Peterson 37(just sold) T-37 R/C Sailboat at home

powderman426

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/12 06:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use the wireless one from Peak. I wired it to the running lights and because I run with lights on all the time, I can always see what's behind me. I have had the 7" model and the smaller one and would never get a small screen again. MJO.

Ron & Charlotte
WD8CBT since 1976
28' Prowler & 05 Ram QC LB

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left

I never fail, I just succeed in finding out what doesn't work

kenn209

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/12 06:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

soling2003 wrote:

We have the Rear View Safety cam in our 5th wheel. It works great, even has audio. Can be hooked up to multiple cams or dvd too. Went the wired route, as they seem to be more reliable more often. Did have to run a wire from the cam on the rear ladder underneath to the pin box, then along the wore to the truck. Connection there by the plug and then under the truck, through a rubber gromet in the cab behind the rear seat, to the dash. Hooked up the power through an upfitter swithc so I can turn it on whenever I want. I can watch the cars behind me while going down the freeway.

+1
I have the same setup, except ours is on the license plate and I ran the cables underneath inside the underpinning. The kit comes with a quick disconnect to go from the fifth wheel to the truck. Easy to install, I have it hooked up so I can see all the time its on, Great for changing lanes..
Clicky

2008 Ford F350 DRW Lariat
2010 Cougar 318SAB
Husky 16K slider hitch,

Reed & Carol

alageezer

seale, al

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/12 07:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The one pictured in the "clicky" above is the same one I bought, just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. In the picture above, is the cord long enough to stretch during tight turns?

2011 Bounder Classic

kenn209

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/12 07:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

alageezer wrote:

The one pictured in the "clicky" above is the same one I bought, just haven't gotten around to installing it yet. In the picture above, is the cord long enough to stretch during tight turns?

Yep I was worried at first when I installed it and haven't had any issues yet. (knock on wood)!

sierrajoe

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/12 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hello,
i bought one a few years back on e-bay from a company in las vegas. it came with everything you need and you can add 2 more cameras if needed. the whole thing was $250.00. i also ordered another camera for 50.00 and installed it in the bed of my truck so i can see when i hook up. i painted a white mark on the truck hitch and one on the trailer hitch and just line them up , it works great.
it has a 7" color screen. i dont like to drill hole in any part of my trailer, so i got a piece of electrical conduit and bent it the same shape as my ladder, i used hose clamps with rubber around them ( so i dont mare the ladder) to hold it to the ladder. then i ran the wire

from the camera through the coduit and up to the camera which i again connected to thre ladder up at the top.

in the truck i went from the fuse box into the cab for power and under the drivers seat is a wire from the factory with a grommet, i went through that grommet with the wire from my camera and to the bed where i plug my trailer in , so now when i plug in the trailer ,i also plug in the camera. it works great. let me know if there is anything else you need to know.

* This post was edited 01/16/12 02:47pm by sierrajoe *

nancy, joe, (gabby,little maltese) and (smokey, african gray parrot) 2008 everest 345s, 2007 1/2 sierra, diesel LMM

cruz-in

Southern Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/12 03:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about mounting a rear view camera using the License plate mount on the 5er? Would that be too low for a reasonable view? I know some cars have them there...

kenn209

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/12 04:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cruz-in wrote:

How about mounting a rear view camera using the License plate mount on the 5er? Would that be too low for a reasonable view? I know some cars have them there...

Ours is mounted on the license plate. I didn't want to make new holes in the side. But it gives a pretty good view.

frac999

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/12 07:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cruz-in wrote:

Yes that would be to low, i pull a trailer behind my 5th wheel so i need it up high to be able to see everything. Where is the best place to get power for the camera if its mounted on top?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 5th Wheel Backup cameras
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS