RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How To Transport 3 kitties, California To Ohio?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> How To Transport 3 kitties, California To Ohio?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
MrsSoCalToolGuy

Fountain Valley Ca.

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/12 05:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently came off the road after fulltime rving with 3 cats ..We went to a cat show to see how folks traveled with kitties and found a company that made the perfect pop open travel cage for our kitties..

It was 50in long, 29 in hi and 25 in. wide. We bought the hammack that the company sold and also put in a small litter pan. It opened (zippered) at both ends and had two zippered opening in the mesh front for easy access while traveling.
We set it across the back seat (folded down) of our dully truck.. We pulled a 5th wheel. It worked out very well for us..

It's made by a company called Sturdi Shelter.

When we found we no longer had a need for it we put our Sturdi shelter on Craigs List...

Traveling in motor homes with pets may be easy, it's a bit more of a challenge when traveling pulling a 5th or a TT...

Barb

2001 Fleetwood Southwind 32V
2011 Scion XB

Code2High

One hour past Nowhere, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/12 06:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think a crate or cage large enough to accommodate one or more cats and a litter box might be a good set-up. More or less crates depending on how well they get along with each other. Some people do well with cats uncrated in the cabin, if you do that I'd recommend leash training and teaching kitty to ride in a particular spot in the car... that's actually what I did with my cat on the trip to ND. The other two rode in crates.

If you're going to pre-condition, I'd actually start just in the driveway, and include some really favorite treats, catnip and so on. Let them look around and wander around inside whatever they're going to ride in, give them treats, get them comfortable in that space. Later on, short trips. But first get them to where just going out to the car isn't a stressor.

I have to tell you that a few people here have had to travel with older cats, and they seem to do pretty darn well, usually much better than expected. Once they get over the panic, they're inclined to sleep a lot, and they like to be with their humans, so it often works out well.

Be VERY careful when dealing with a cat in a car that isn't crated. You don't want to lose a kitty! A harness and leash can help a lot, as can carrying to the car in the crate and crating before opening the door. Get your safety and security procedures in place and think about that when deciding who rides where... you don't want to be in the middle of nowhere chasing a cat across a parking lot. That happens too, and it sometimes works out well but is never fun.

susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/12 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We only had one cat in the car each time, so DW either kept an eye on or held the cat (depending on whether it looked interested in making any sort of a dash) when I got out for fuel, etc. We did have a cat carrier for some circumstances. But I suppose with 2 cats together it would be necessary to take more precautions.

Mike G.
2008 Toyota Highlander, 2010 Aliner Ranger 12

former owner of Starcraft popup, 23' Rockwood TT, 17' Burro TT, 16' KZ TT

AZPops

Wherever the Job takes us...

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/12 10:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only thing I can ad to your inquiry is to (as mentioned) make absolutely sure the cat is contained before opening any door.

The short of this cat's story ...

Was it's owner (while taking a break during their road trip) opened the kennel while the car door was ..... Open! ...

They spent the rest of the afternoon till early evening trying to catch it, but wasn't able to. So they left without the cat!

Pops

eightballsidepocket

Whitehouse, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/12 01:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AZPops wrote:

The only thing I can ad to your inquiry is to (as mentioned) make absolutely sure the cat is contained before opening any door.

The short of this cat's story ...

Was it's owner (while taking a break during their road trip) opened the kennel while the car door was ..... Open! ...

They spent the rest of the afternoon till early evening trying to catch it, but wasn't able to. So they left without the cat!

Pops

Recognize a "Have A Heart" humane vermit trap. Have used that same size one for raccoon problems around home.

One of our cats(the old one) is a big boy. Don't think he could even turn around in that enclosure.

Saw those PetnGo containers. Still am worried about the litter problem. Don't want any constipation problems.

Regards, Eightballsidepocket

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 4x2 Quad Cab, Cummins, 48RE Tranny, Lg Bed, Line-X Spray-on Bed Liner.

06 T25BS Komfort Trailblazer TT

"If you can't say it in person, it isn't worth saying while hiding behind an anonymous P.C.!"

Impkitti

Keyport, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/12 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Traveling with cats can be done, and the cat may even forgive you - eventually.

Talk to your vet about mild sedation, especially with the older kitties.

Have the kitties chipped for identification if they do get loose.

Leash training is good and a kennel is a must. The problem with loose cats (or dogs)in the cab is if you have to make an emergency stop, they become projectiles. If they are in your lap and the airbag goes off, the pet can sustain a crush injury.

Good Luck.

Ellen

1 Retired Husband
2 Dogs
2 Cats
1 2008 F350SD Truck
1 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
2 Cars
1 House
Not Enough Time

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 12:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Vulcaneer wrote:

Let them loose in the car,....

Snip!

I must disagree with this advice. Someone can open a window or door and the cat dashes to it's death by passing autos, or gets lost. Cats need to be kept safely on large cages or carriers when in cars, vans or PU trucks. Stopping every 3 to 4 hours or so to let them use the litter pans and get water in the RV works well. Then back into their carriers or cages, and the TV for another few hours.

WandaLust. Retired. Middle TN
Heartland 2011 NorthTrail 28BRS
1993 Ford Dutchman Class-C

WandaLust2

TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 01:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

eightballsidepocket wrote:

I'm most concerned about my 16 year old boy cat, Teddy.

How would or have you been able to work out pottying the
kitties on the road?

We stop every few hours and take them to the RV to use the litter pans. By then you will probably need a break from driving anyway. I know we do. NEVER let them loose in the TV unless they're in escape proof harnesses and there is someone to hold the leashes tightly. But that's the least safe way to move cats. Carriers or large cages (like those wire dog crates) are safest.

eightballsidepocket

Whitehouse, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/12 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like a kennel is a must.

Litter breaks too.

I will speak to our vet about this too.

RoadLife

New Mexico

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/12 02:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we relocated from California to Alabama, we had two cats. I talked to their vet and got some pills to keep them calm for the trip. They rode in their little portable kennels. I kept a litter box in the back of the car and let them out to use it at rest stops. Also got a harness for each and would walk them in the pet area of rest stops.

It worked out ok. The pills kept them pretty "woozy" all day. We made it in four days and I was glad to get them back to "normal".

ROADLIFE

RoadLife USA 2014 Blog

2003 40' Allegro BUS - 2 slides
2013 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 OffRoad 2014 XC60 Volvo
Shasta - Australian Shepherd; Boomer - Brittany;
Pancho - border terrier

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> How To Transport 3 kitties, California To Ohio?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS