|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/12 02:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Living in oak wilt country, I either buy my firewood, or get permission to pickup the dead/down wood on site. I wouldn't want to take contaminated stuff to another location and cause dead oaks somewhere else.

cacoon

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every May In Las Vegas there are a couple firewood companies here I buy from. I believe its a 1/4 cord of pine for 75.00. I then have wood for the summer trips and even into hunting season. Its anywhere from 6 dollars and up for a bundle at a store. I have wood for my backyard fire pit too.
Cacoon

K3WE

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/12 04:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another suggestion is "it depends, read the fine print". While we have some restrictions in the area, I was reading on the interent that the truly restricted area is only certain counties. Outide of these areas, you can move wood in and out, but they say to completely burn everything you bring in.

Read the fine print and you might be able to bring your own wood.

Monaco Montclair

Virginia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/12 04:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

have been camp hosting in Va,i have learned that its a infestion thing. imho man look it aint camping less u gpt a camp fire. marshmllows, wow smores, cup of tea --wow knock off the chill. happy camping

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/12 05:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually bring ours with us. There are no restrictions to doing so where we camp. We also always camp in state, so there is no danger of bringing in indigenous bugs which is the main reason CGs with restrictions have them in the first place. Sometimes we buy it at the campstore, but I try not to as it is $5 for a bundle that is good for about barely one fire.

I also buy the chemical firelogs when they are on sale, and stock up on them. I like to use them with real firewood though, even though they can be used alone.

TravelerDan

New York State

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/12 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We usually buy the campfire wood right at the campsite. The prices are usually kind of high. But alot of areas do not allow you to transport firewood any great distance due to certain parasites in the wood that they are trying to control.

Just roamin' the country, one state at a time...

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/12 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We normally carry our own wood and are carefull to take wood cut from healthy trees. If I don't take enough with me I will look along the road close to the campground (2 miles of gravel road) to see what has been cut and discarded along the edge of the woods (tree trimmings and fallen trees and limbs removed from the road and illegally dumped brush piles). Then we make a firewood run right before dark the night it is needed. There are 3 farms that sell locally between the campground and main 4 lane highway where we could get wood if needed, but haven't had to buy any yet.

Suzanne and Brad

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/12 07:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can try Craigslist in the places where you'll be having fires......

Happy Travels!
Suzanne & Brad

Jagtech

Sunny Southern Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/12 10:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've started buying cheap 2X4 studs from the home renovation centre, and cutting them up for firewood. They are kiln dried, so no bugs or disease, and they are much cheaper than CG firewood. Easy to pack into my storage compartment, too.
Around here, I can usually buy an economy grade stud for about 89 cents.

1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

JayWalker2009

I'm not really a

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/12 05:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dalenoel wrote:

I will usually find someone local to the CG and end up with $30 for half a facecord of hardwood. Lasts for a week on my trip and then sell off or leave the rest for the next person.

Cheaper than the CG costs.

For week long trips, this is definitely the way to go. Buying those little bundles from camp stores really adds up when you camp more than one night.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS