RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Thinking of buying an HTT - advice?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Thinking of buying an HTT - advice?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
drenjoey

Gray, Maine

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/12 03:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bikendan wrote:

don't forget this; if you aren't in love with sleeping under canvas, don't buy a hybrid.
even if you want one because of the floorspace they have or the number of people it can sleep or that it feels so open.
many new hybrid owners end up selling theirs because they didn't account for the canvas. all they saw were the advantages of hybrids, without considering whether the canvas was a negative or not.

for us, we love sleeping under canvas and that was why we bought one.
we were willing to deal with the few negatives of canvas becuase we love that nighttime experience.
all the other advantages were just added toppings.

I agree with Dan......We too love to sleep under a canvas, especially in the summer when you can unzip the windows and sleep under the stars. It's a feeling you don't get in a TT

Padlin

W. Ma.

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/12 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LoriAlexJason wrote:

We like that the pop-ups beds do not take up any floor space, but are concerned about loss of storage with a slide out bed as opposed to the wardrobes that travel trailers have. Is this an issue?

My little HTT has a wardrobe, I'd think you have at least as much storage as a similiar size TT. You do not however have underbed storage.
LoriAlexJason wrote:

We also like the security of a hard side travel trailer, but have seen information that looks like the tent ends on a hybrid are more secure than those on a pop up. If anyone can provide insight/advice, we'd appreciate it!

I'd agree with you about the TT being more secure then an HTT, but as stated by someone above, the tenting on a HTT is as weak as that of a PUP.

The only reasons we would go to a TT from an HTT... outside noise and having to make the beds. Many would add "folding up in the rain".

The only reason we went with an HTT over a PUP, a bathroom.

Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

GpaVader

Brooklyn Park, MN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/12 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pup to HTT is a natural transition. You are used to almost everything. You get better climate control in the HTT over the Pup but better over both with a TT. You can be very creative with storage, we are empty nesters so we use the bed as storage when we are camped and use duffles or totes to keep things together. About my only regret about HTT is the bed, I would have liked a thicker mattress, but we just added a 2" foam layer to help...

'13 Toyota Tundra 5.7L
'12 Syline Koala 24RBK

Jerry9n

SE Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

30 years in an 8' Jayco Jayfinch PUP, I had my sights set on a new truck and fiver when I retired. I now have a used Expedition and a 23' HTT. A couple of things: first was the economy. Next after looking at things, I decided I really didn't need a pickup. Then I came to the reality that I towed an 8' 800# trailer for 30 years and the fiver would be way too big. I could get used to it, but maneuvering a 23' in a campground is way easier (for me). Finally, I like sleeping under the canvas, but now that I am old and cranky, the kitchen, bath, refrig instead of an ice box, etc. are very nice. After 3 1/2 years I think I made a good choice, but you have to decide what fits you.

Is there a place or a person you can rent one from to try it out?

Good luck.

Jerry9n
2009 23' Cikira Escape EXP
2006 Ford Expedition
Reese Pro Series SC
Tekonsha Primus IQ
HTT Mods

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LoriAlexJason wrote:

Hello all! We are currently in a small pop-up, but are thinking of purchasing a travel trailer - either 'regular' or 'hybrid'.

We like that the pop-ups beds do not take up any floor space, but are concerned about loss of storage with a slide out bed as opposed to the wardrobes that travel trailers have. Is this an issue?

We also like the security of a hard side travel trailer, but have seen information that looks like the tent ends on a hybrid are more secure than those on a pop up. If anyone can provide insight/advice, we'd appreciate it!

If you want the security of a hard side, consider something like a rear slide TT such as a Jayco Jay Feather Ultra Lite X213, Keystone-Outback 210RS or something like that. A rear slide model is nice because you get the additional bed length without the towing length. This will provide you with the hard-sided items you want.

If you like hearing the surrounding environment, a HTT would be a better bet. Some people like canvas for hearing the pitter patter of rain, having large windows to see what is going on, or having the ability to tip out 2-3 large beds.

As for security, a hard-sided will be better, but RVs are made cheap and light and won't stop a serious intruder. Someone with the most basic of tools and the will to destroy things can get in most rigs in a heartbeat. If you have stuff you want to secure and want a HTT, consider flipping up and padlocking the beds, or store your valuables in a secure compartment of your TV. I have a Console-Vault on my pickup which won't stop a determined intruder, but it will delay an intruder a significant amount of time.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/12 05:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I say hybrid all the way.

archie18

Middle Tenn

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 07:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also switched from PU to hybrid. We love having a shower and toilet, and a larger frig and stove. We chose the hybrid because we got more space with a smaller,easier to tow trailer.

Robert and Nancy
2013 Keystone Passport 2300bh/2004 Ford F150
http://wanderingwoolfolks.blogspot.com

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/12 10:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a PU for 17 years and loved it. The family grew up in it and then we moved up to the HTT. Loved that too since we really like sleeping under canvas. We got the HTT for the bathroom and refrigerator. We never ran out of storage space and ours did have a wardrobe. We also never made up the beds but slept in sleeping bags.

As we were nearing retirement we started to think about taking long road trips in the cold spring and late fall. The HTT was a bit of a problem when we moved every day. It also was a challenge to keep warm during really cold temperatures.

We got a 25 ft TT and are happy with our choice. But......we have less space in the 25 than we did in our 21 SSO from Starcraft. The TT is much easier to set up and we stay warm and dry in all sorts of conditions. As a young family guy, the PU and HTT were perfect. As an older retired guy, I like my trailer.

As far as safety goes, we never worried about break ins. Even the TT can be invaded if someone really wants in. We never worried about danger from 4 legged beasts either. We camped in Yellowstone and Glacier Park but stayed in the developed campgrounds.

2008 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch
Prodigy Controler

dadmomh

Jackson, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/12 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're in the retired age group and still love the outdoorsy feeling of our 23SS. We have looked at hardside TT, but feel very closed in. The set up takes a smidge longer than a TT, having to open up if the tents are wet is an extra job - but nothing to discourage us, we love towing approx 23' down the interstate but having a 30' when we're set up. Absolutely nothing like having the ends unzipped in great weather. Cannot see us ever moving over to a TT. If/when we get to the point that the "extras" involved in having a HTT are too much for us, it'll probably be that we don't need to be camping any more - and hope that's a long time off. We've had non-camping guests a few times and they are amazed at the open feeling, the roominess and everything we love about our ROO.

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
2003 Ford F-150 with Blue Ox 1000
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy.
Our rescued sisters, Biscuit and Lily, are now 1 year old!
Support responsibility....Spay/Neuter!

HTT to be?

Southern Wisconsin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/12 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good points by all, so I won't retype many of the same feelings we love about our HTT. I believe the biggest factor is really the canvas for most. Some love what it brings while others don't care for it. Just think it thru well, before you buy!

2007 Jayco 23B
2009 E350 Ford Club Wagon 5.4 w/ tow pkg
Equalizer hitch, Prodigy P3 brake controller
Buddy 125 Scooter-FUN!
1997 Coleman Sunridge- Served us well for 11 years!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Thinking of buying an HTT - advice?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS