|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> GPS

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
reno82

Cardiff by the Sea, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/12 02:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not strictly a handheld, but small enough to carry in your pocket. I just bought the Garmin Nuvi 500. It's waterproof/dust proof and has Topo built in. You can also download maps from google earth and National Geo. It only works about 3 hours not plugged in, but I bought the Ram mount for my ATV and plan on keeping it on my bars and running it off my 12v plug.

* This post was edited 01/17/12 02:42pm by reno82 *

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/12 03:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. stick with Garmin, most universally used amongst offroaders. TONS of files to exchange on GPSexchange.com. Most all the dual sport promoters use this format.
2. The etrex is nice but not color and does not have all that many features and small memory, won't hold a lot of tracks or waypoints. I have one and used it for a couple of years until I upgraded.
3. 76CSX is a real good unit with color and memory cards. Extremely fast uploads using USB. Its not the "state of the art" but sure gets the job done. Also takes 12v direct, unlike etrex that must be stepped down.
4. There are a TON of accessories available for the Garmin units. Check out RAM mounts, inexpensive and effective.
5. 60csx has an external antenna sticking out the top, may get better reception but seen this get broken on crashes or taken out by the brake hose.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
'06 3005 Rage'n Falcon

2btowed

glendale,az

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/17/12 05:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a magellan Triton 2000,which I have had since they first came out, about 3years ago.It is capable of a ton of functions of which I use about 4.The one thing is it downloads USGS Topos to 1/24000.It is capable of uploading new softwear and has changed quite a bit since first purchased.It runs on your laptop on a program called Vantsge Point and is easy to download and to upload trails waypoints etc.Just recently they added a new benefit where you can follow a trail on Topo and it will show the same location on Google Earth in split screen.Thats the good stuff. Bad stuff is ,you need to be verry Tech savey to enjoy all the bells and whistles and the screen is to small..However if your wife bought YOU a new IPad for Fathers day,(I get to use it only when riding),it is a great GPS,big screen,able to zoom in or out and have a ton of apps to use,but it is not small.I usually carry both in the Ranger or Grizzly and depending on how much info I want or need ,choose.The many uses of the Ipad make it really cool to take along ,but if you have no 12v supply,like hiking out,the Triton has been the better choice.

08 Ranger
08 Grizzly x2
06 400ex
06 Honda 90
04 Kymco 110

SBrooks72

Phoenix, Az

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw this one. Is this Garmina good GPS device?

ssduane

San Diego, Hooli #380

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/12 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

grizzly660fan wrote:

Our group uses Garmin Rino units. We like the additional feature of the GMRS two way radio built in. I am using a ram mount to mount it to different things so I can use in on multiple toys.

I use the Rino 120 also. Great unit and on the cheaper side. Like the handheld as mnentione above, nice that it lets you know where your friends are also.

Additionally, I use a 12volt power supply too, the AA batteries tend to shake and shut the unit off while riding.

06 GMC2500HD DMAX/AL, 4XCC/SLT SRW
07 Cherokee Wolfpack 295
2012 KTM 450 XC-W
Raptor 778cc SE2
KFX434 her's
Z434 son's
DINLI DB90

BobWanderer

Perris,Calif,USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/17/12 09:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SBrooks72 wrote:

GOOD unit, a little "spendy" but used by alot of OHV people.

2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DMAX CC
2004 Thor Wanderer Wagon 247WTB
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

nick250f

iowa

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know the Garmin model we have ...Has a channel for weather radio also..... I think its a Rino model also...

SBrooks72

Phoenix, Az

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks you guys. I went with the Garmin etrex I posted earlier in thread. It's cool, no to learn how to use it!!
Brooks
BobWanderer wrote:

SBrooks72 wrote:

GOOD unit, a little "spendy" but used by alot of OHV people.

SBrooks72

Phoenix, Az

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

**now

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/12 09:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the etrex is a good starter unit for sure. You'll have fun with it. I sold it to a club member a while back and he's still figuring out how to use it!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> GPS
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS