RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Best Cell phone for CND Snowbird?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best Cell phone for CND Snowbird?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Annio

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Homer wrote:

Google TracFone.com on the net and it will give you all the details you are looking for.

We were going to go with Nettalk, but this makes way more sense.
Thanks.

Ann / Keith
If you see 2 people looking dazed and confused, fumbling through an armload of manuals, that will be us

Life does begin after 50!
2012 Lariat, F350, Super Duty, Dually. 2012 Arctic Fox 1150

Cruising

North America

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replies. the trouble with using email to text is the person you are email/text to cannot text you back (I don't think). I am really trying to get a cell phone in the US that I can text to Canada at a reasonable rate.

2001 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3515DS

frankdamp

Anacortes, or wherever we've gone.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/12 08:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look very carefully at the coverage maps. During the time we were between our different RVs (about 6 years!) we got Virgin Mobile. It was quite cheap ($5 a month, which all went into minutes). The minutes were expensive, but we're very infrequent users.

The big issue for us was coverage. In 19 days out the first season with our current MH, we didn't have cell coverage and ANY of the CGs we stayed at. We'd see other folks using their phones and when we asked which carrier they were with, it was about 75% Verizon and 25% AT&T. Nobody we talked to had T-Mobile or Sprint. Virgin Mobile used the Sprint network.

We switched to Verizon. Our daughter, her three kids and a cousin were in a family plan. She changed jobs and her phone was merged into the new company system. We took over the empty slot. It's $10 a month and we pay our daughter.

We don't text at all or use the phone for data transmissions, just voice. Last season we had coverage everywhere we went.

After 12 years with Verizon as our land-line phone before they got out of the business, I was not keen to sign up with them, but I was even less enthusiastic about AT&T. On the whole, it's been OK.

My biggest beef is that they sold us a flip-phone with a built-in camera and there's no way to download the photos to either of our computers! We can send them to VZ, if we have the data agreement at $25 a month, then they reduce the resolution by 80% and e-mail them to you. Screw that for a system - so we've disabled the camera feature. I'll take photos with a real camera rather than put up with that rip-off.

Frank Damp, DW - Eileen
Anacortes, WA

'02 Georgetown 325, F53, V-10.
Dogs - 2 Labs, both yellow males, both 10 yrs old and both adopted.

2oldman

Biloxi

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 08:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cruising wrote:

the trouble with using email to text is the person you are email/text to cannot text you back (I don't think)..
Sure they can. Try it with your own phone.

I just made a free call from So CA to Canada using Google phone. Hey.. who needs a phone!?? (yes, I know you need a phone..it's a joke)

Annio

Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 09:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Cruising wrote:

the trouble with using email to text is the person you are email/text to cannot text you back (I don't think)..

I just made a free call from So CA to Canada using Google phone.

After I read this thread this morning I tried this out, emailed a few people as a test. Sent my husband 2, in the next room lol. Then he gave me hell because (I forgot) it costs us .15 per text LOL. So I think that becomes an issue with Canadians, if you email to people who don't have text plans, and then when they text back they pay higher fees texting to the U.S. I'm not sure off hand what we pay texting to the U.S. All I know is I got killed texting from the U.S home before.

So at this point it looks like the Tracfone is the best route. At least it will be for us.

2oldman

Biloxi

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Annio wrote:

issue with Canadians, if you email to people who don't have text plans, and then when they text back they pay higher fees texting to the U.S.
That's true regardless of whether you text with a phone or a computer.

Sounds like you better stick to emailing for your texting needs, especially to your more frugal textees.

* This post was edited 01/18/12 11:37pm by 2oldman *

dieharder

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/12 09:02am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Annio wrote:

2oldman wrote:

Cruising wrote:

I just made a free call from So CA to Canada using Google phone.

After I read this thread this morning I tried this out, emailed a few people as a test. Sent my husband 2, in the next room lol. Then he gave me hell because (I forgot) it costs us .15 per text LOL. So I think that becomes an issue with Canadians, if you email to people who don't have text plans, and then when they text back they pay higher fees texting to the U.S. I'm not sure off hand what we pay texting to the U.S. All I know is I got killed texting from the U.S home before.

So at this point it looks like the Tracfone is the best route. At least it will be for us.

You'll need to review the website again since, as I indicated in my post, if texting is important to you, international texting is no longer available on Tracfone. You won't be able to text home.

1999 Itasca Sunrise

extremis

BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 11:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For a backup cheap phone while I was in FL on vacation I used H2O Wireless pay as you go... time lasted a while (3 months). I only needed a couple weeks but used for a couple day trips till it expired. Bought a new Sim off Ebay for $10, had $5 credit when I activated it. Never topped it up or anything... but for a week or 2 was enough. Had a toll free number to call Canada on so it only cost airtime. Just popped it into an unlocked phone I had and was good to go. I even got to select a number, so chose one from where I was staying. Allowed me to hook up with a friend easily as they could call me directly.

https://www.h2owirelessnow.com/pageControl.php?page=index

Might be worth checking out. On their minute plans credit is good for 3 months.

Cruising

North America

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/12 07:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Texting from a US cell phone is the problem which is what I would like to do, right now I use Bell Mobility my Canadian provider for my cell and it costs .75 a text which I found out the hard way.

vwsportbug

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/12 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best option I've found is to use my Bell Mobility cell phone with the "Florida Plan" added. This allows 100 minutes of talk time (for $20/month extra) but you still have to pay extra for texting. Not sure how much since we don't use it often.

I do have a Tracfone as well. Use it primarily for calls/texts within the US. Can call Canada on it but it's a PITA to use for Intl calls. Does NOT allow Intl texting though.

In addition, we use Skype for most of our outgoing calls. We pay $3/month for the ability to call Skype to phone #'s (in addition to Skype to Skype on computer).

VeeDub
2006 Carriage Cameo LXI F35FD3
2006 Ford F350 Dually

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Best Cell phone for CND Snowbird?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts