|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Husky Centerline hitch

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
slohand

Kinzua

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have the Husky Centerline and are you satisfied. I have researched 3 different hitches and like the engineering of the Husky not necessarily the price. I have read good reviews on Reese's and the Equilizer but I believe you lose ground clearance with these. Tell me if I'm wrong because the husky runs about $100 more.
Thanks,Dave

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 08:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have the Reese Dual Cam Strait-Line set up..(flat trunion bars)
Lots and lots of miles coast to coast and back again in every type of terrain and conditions and never had any clearance issues.

You most likely will have clearance problems (in and out of driveways) with your trailer's rear frame rail long before your hitch will scrape.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."
GMC Duramax LBZ
Komfort
Reese Dual Cam HP
Our Rig Picture...CLICK HERE

JBarca

Dublin, Ohio, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

slohand wrote:

Does anyone have the Husky Centerline and are you satisfied. I have researched 3 different hitches and like the engineering of the Husky not necessarily the price. I have read good reviews on Reese's and the Equilizer but I believe you lose ground clearance with these. Tell me if I'm wrong because the husky runs about $100 more.
Thanks,Dave

Hi Dave,

Clearance issues, It depends and there are ways around many of these isses. But we need to know more about your setup. As a generic flat out statement that you will have ground issue is maybe a preconcived notion. I have been able to help folks get either an Equal-I-zer or a certina types of Reese to fit up well even on low rider TT's. But there is not one that fits every TT ever made.

1. What is the ball coupler height from ground to inside coupler with TT level?

2. What is the reciever height on the truck from ground to top on the inside of the 2" pin box hole where the shank will go.

3. What is the width of your TT A frame? 4", 5", 6"?

4. Is your ball coupler on the top, middle or bottom of your TT A frame?

I'm assuming this is a light TT as the heavy ones are way up there, what empty and ideally loaded tongue weight range are you in?

And what brand/model TT is this? That helps too.

Pending those answers we can better help tell if the Reese and which one or the Equal-I-izer will have issues.

Pending what you have I may even have a pic of a hitch on a TT to show you.

Hope this helps

John

John & Cindy

2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10
CC, SB, Lariat & FX4 package
21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR
Ford Tow Command
1,700# Reese HP hitch & HP Dual Cam
2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver

2004 Sunline Solaris T310SR
(I wish we were camping!)

netomh

Far North Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 09:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

slohand wrote:

Thanks,Dave

Have it. Satisfied. Two things to think about.

1) Truck and camper have to be within 5 degrees of straight to install/remove the WD bars. Many folks consider that a show-stopper, but for me it's not that big a deal. It hurt like hell, though, the one time I tried to force it and took a bar to the bicep. It hit so hard, it split the skin, and the bruise was pretty spectacular. Respect the angle.

2) It's been out for several years now, and has not really taken off...meaning your local RV & parts dealers will probably not have parts on hand should you need them. (Nothing has ever broken on mine, but I lost a critical part due to sheer stupidity, and had to overnight a replacement because no one in DFW had any on hand...shipping was twice the cost of the part.)

2010 Ram 2500HD Crew ST, 6.7L, 68RFE, bone stock.
2010 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 09:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love my Reese DC, although it is a bit picky about being adjusted correctly. A little bit off, and it feels like you've done worse by using it than without. Never an issue with ground clearance, and I have a low (2-step) TT.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

slohand

Kinzua

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The TT is a denali 289 RK. I am ordering it tomorrow. I assume I will need a WD hitch to tow it home once it comes in. Maybe I am wrong. Would be about 30 mile tow. I have a '11 Chev. 2500 to tow it. Can't come up with the measurements you need off hand but maybe tomorrow I can.
Thanks, Dave

Fisherguy

Vancouver BC

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not have a hitch where I need to be perfectly straight to do it up, we usually go to more rustic campsites, no pavement etc and with the length of our unit we're on an angle to hitch and unhitch more often than we're straight in line.
No complaints about the Reese DC.

06 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins 6 spd std with a few goodies.

2007 Komfort 274TS, SteadyFast stabilizers, Trimetric 2025RV, PD9280, Honda EU2000i, Xantrex SW600, shocks and EZ-Flex suspension, Reese Strait-Line

Bob/Olallawa

Kitsap Co, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/12 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not much difference in the Husky and the other top brands like Reese and the EZ-lift. I would think you would have plenty of room.

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those people I had to kill because they pissed me off.

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 02:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you prefer to buy a WD hitch and install and set it up yourself, your truck will do fine without it for a one time trip home if you keep the speed down to say, under 55mph.

ReverendCharles

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 01/18/12 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one and they are heavy, easy to setup and really keep the trailer from swaying. I was pulling in strong winds, no sway at all, I could feel the hitch correcting the trailer and it was very stable. As far as unhooking when straight no problem just drop the bars before you wedge the trailer into a tight site, this is also easier on the trailer frame no matter what wd hitch you are using. Charles

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Husky Centerline hitch
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS