RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Whazoo's trip to the Mountains of the Moon with Ocotillians

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Whazoo's trip to the Mountains of the Moon with Ocotillians

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rehoppe

Denver & Nathrop Colo or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/12 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

insp1505 wrote:

Great report, Thanks for sharing.

I am still interested in what the boxes and driveshaft along the tracks are, anyone know? It appears to me from the pictures that the train passing over the mechanism bolted to the track would turn the driveshaft. But why? To pump something through the lines? But what? Interesting, maybe I am looking at it backwards. It would be fun to find out.

I'm sure it's been answered by now, at least 10 times.

They call them Greasers, they put them out intermittently, especially at curves where the lube cuts down on wheel and rail wear.

Hoppe
2011 Dodge 1500 C'boy Caddy
2000 Jayco C 28' Ford chassis w V-10 E450
Doghouse 36' or so Trophy Classic TT

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/12 03:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, those tracks look awesome, are they clear enough to run a rail speeder down or are there a number of wash outs along the right of way?

The boxes and drive shaft on the sides of the track are a flange greaser, they're driven by the wheels of the train as it rolls over applicating grease to the flanges of the steel wheels to help them navigate the curves in the track and reduce wear.

The old PTOB railroad has a number of those along the abandoned right of way (Tracks were washed out at salmon berry creek and the railroad never repaired them).

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

sirdrakejr

Las Vegas, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/12 03:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, that's it! I am selling my TC. I mean, why use it when I can lean back in my recliner and see all those places and not spend a dime on fuel? But I have to know if that "battery" is really not an old rusted Roman candle used to light up the night?

Great report again, as always. I'll send you a part of the profits I get from the TC sale. Please do not hold your breath.

Frank

2011 Palomino Maverick 1000SLLB on a 2004 Dodge Quadcab CTD Ram3500 SRW long bed equipped with Timbren springs, Stable Load bump stops, Rickson 19.5" wheels/"G" range tires and a Helwig "Big Wig" rear anti sway bar.

dadwolf2

Henderson,NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/19/12 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another awesome trip report. I think you need a little lotion on your nose.

I like your grill method of dutch oven cooking. Keeps the charcoal ash contained if/when the wind blows and looks like it works as a small fireplace too.

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2011 Outfitter Apex 8 (Love it)

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/12 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

So whats with no fires on the ground in the desert? It's not like one would set the rocks & dirt on fire.

The heat from ground fires goes down into the ground and creates problems for the roots of nearby plants. It also helps keeps the fire smaller in size and less chance to spread. Lastly, it helps one pick up the ashes for you to carry out thus leaving no trace behind.

Whazoo, yes the post was way to long but I got stuck on the tracks and couldn't get derailed so had to read it to the end of the line.

I've seen pics before of the area before, but not in so much detail and with such a great story line. Thanks..

Photo Albums
2004.5 Ram 3500 4x4 Quad-Cab SRW CTD 6-spd, XD9000 winch
2004 Lance 815 (an upgrade from my prev 2005 35' fiver )
DW (homemaker), 1 DD w/BS in Civil Engineering (TDOT) and husband, 1 DD w/Associate in Accounting, 2 DFs (meow)

RicJones

So. Cal.

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/12 06:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The heat from ground fires goes down into the ground and creates problems for the roots of nearby plants.

I could almost buy that if the summer temps there weren't 115-120 degrees and a ground temp. greater than that.

seldomseensmith

Flagstaff, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Really Dave. I guess you don't care how much anguish and suffering you cause by posting a glorious desert trip in the dead of winter, do you? Even though it's been a lean year snow-wise, there's still been enough to keep me from having the kind of fun you're rubbing my nose in.

Well, at least you tempered your offering with tons of ridiculous puns that made me smile in spite of the pain. Thanks for taking the time to share your adventure.

BTW - when's the full body transplant scheduled for? You better get 'er done soon. There's lots more of that hiking to do yet!

Eric

The Road Goes Ever On

2008 F250 SD 4x4 Supercab, Detroit TrueTrac, Hellwig LP 35, 2006 Outfitter Caribou 6.5

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/12 09:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting another great trip report Whazoo!

Don't think I've ever seen so many untrimmed shaggy palms. I like that natural look.

I'm little slow checking out your report because we just have the power back on. Winter storms raise havoc with our third world northwest power grid.
It's designed so when the weather is the worst and you need electricity the most it quits.

Your pictures make our having to live in the dark with no heat a little easier. (when the lights come back on)

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2014 Jeep Patriot
Future folding trailer or ?

whazoo

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/12 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My turn to say WOW! So many fantastic people on one website, what a great place to hang out. You all have a gift, a way to make a guy feel special...even if he isn't. (However, Mrs. Whazoo is another story, and she is too good to be true.) Thank you all so much for your time.

Howdy Doody Camper Jeff, I sure hope you're doing well and keeping busy these days. I haven't been so lucky the last 6 months but things are good for the next month anyway. Yes, there were some bike tracks along the rails. However the loose gravel associated with the rail bed didn't look appealing to me to ride through. Plus, we didn't have them with us this trip or I might have tried. Plus, if the railroad police came upon us I wanted to be able to run. I don't know where and certainly not very fast. OK, I would have been busted whether on bike or foot. And after I finish up here, I'll take you up on your remedy. Take care Jeff...

Hey Heygrll, The night shots came out ok but honestly others take them better. I still have a ways to go. And no we didn't see the critters but boy did we hear them every night. I can't think of much better than sitting around the fire listening to the coyotes talk. I wish they would go all night. Thanks for your time.

Hi Charlie+Em, No kidding, a year would be good. I'm always going home wanting more. Thanks!

Aw DJ, Sorry to hear about your back. I thought you might be heading for Yuma by now and would be begging me to go back to Borrego with ya. Of course I would have made a serious effort. OK, I couldn't have turned you down. I hope you back gets worked on, we hope to meet you before to long in slickrock country. End of Feb. I'm hoping.

Hola Silver, to coin a phrase. If I made your winter, your day, or even your minute I'd be happy. I'll wish a mild winter for you knowing I can't make it so. Thanks for everything!!!

Good evening Mrs. Silverdunes, I've said it before and please don't mind if I say it again, I'm always pleased and honored to hear from you, Silver's, I won't say better half, equal half. Because of all people I consider you both an equal match to each other. Whereas Mrs. Whazoo is definitely my better half. You responses are always both encouraging and creative on their own. I'll wish you the best from the desert southwest!

GMCPU53, hey Joe! Thanks for responding and yes, those huge Ricksons are great once you get them rolling. Fuel mileage is good and I hope for some extended wear out of them. A little stiff? Oh yeah, they're G rated tires!! And believe it or not they are on both sides. The truck lean keeps them from showing up and while I could have fixed that, I didn't take the time you observant guy you. See you Joe...

Ah Skip, I have without any little doubt met my match. And yes, it has been 3 years since I was last in Baltimore...where is that again? Skip, I love your replies and feel to be in good company when I hear from you Sir. Have a good night in MD.

Windwalker, Hi Larry, it's good to hear from you. Doing any backpacking lately? Of course it's winter for you but you might be heading west again sometime. Thanks a lot Larry, there's a lot my mind has never know too.

Thanks Mr. Clattertruck, You are so right, Mrs. Whazoo is a very large part in the creation of our trip reports. I can't believe what a funny girl she is sometimes. Thanks for noticing.

Whazoo, wait, that's me. I can't reply to my replies. What a knucklehead, moving on...

Hello Grant, 1º? Yeowza! No thank you very much. 50º is too cold for this desert rat. Charge for photo lessons? Well if I knew what I was doing we'd do it together for free. But something about the blind leading the blind comes to mind. I'd like to get Clattertruck and bka (Bryan) together for lessons. Then we'd learn something for sure. Keep the heat on Grant, or sleep with them doggies. Catch you later.

Hoho Mr. Mad Norsky, I want you to know I've noticed your absence from this part of the forum for awhile. At least in my limited exposure to posts. Thanks for the info on the oilers. I would have never figured it out on my own. Can we say that insp1505 was on the right track? I'm tickled to hear form you again. I wonder about old friends sometimes, where did they/we go. Have a good weekend.

Hey there FishPoet, And I feel the same of your trips. We like the same areas and do some of the same things. I guess that's why we're both here. Thank you for the trip report on the trestle, you gave me new insight to a place I though I knew. And what a great video link. Anyone viewing these replies should watch it. Thanks again!!

Hello Cal, Not always, but thank you and hope you're doing well.

Hi River&Sand, Another very helpful reply. We should all get together and publish trip reports with links and descriptions. And yes, there is a lot of work to be done to get that part of the railroad in good condition I hope they do it, that way next time I can ride instead of walk. Thanks a bunch...

smh1040us, Hey Mark, where you been? Black Dog Lodge ice fishing?? And it's I who is the lucky one here, to know people like you. I'm still lusting after your big ol remote. Hope to see you again some time Mark. Best regards.

mockturtle, And from me it's also always a pleasure. Looking at your sig picture that is sure one good looking motorhome. Bet you have fun in it. Thank you mockturtle.

Good evening Annio, Boy, I'm excited for you. I'll hope you have a great time in that gorgeous camper. Send pictures oh yeah. Thank you and good night.

sstan, Oh boy Steve, that was your recipe for the saucy chicken. Wait, I get it. It was all in print except the part that said "add 1 pound high octane ranch style beans." That was hand written, I should have know what you were up to. That's ok, I don't get mad,I get even..Steven.

Boy, I have to take a break, that ol Carpal Tunnel is coming up again. One last reply in the morning for me. Goodnight folks.

Eugarps

Hagerstown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/12 07:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wahzoo,

My my.... You've once again outdone yourself. I do height but not so much depths but you've done it all in your magnificent report. You indeed:

"Ride boldly ride in your search for Eldorado." The "Gaily bedight" part..... I'm not so sure.

Amen to Silversands' kudos.

Bill

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Whazoo's trip to the Mountains of the Moon with Ocotillians
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: