|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> A surprise in the pasture

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
AllisonAndrews

Stephenville, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DianneOK wrote:

That heifer was no more than 18 months old and even so was a good momma. I was so glad that I had the experience to know the difference between weight types or we would have had beef and veal, too

Good deal for you!

I don't know how old Spitters is. This is not her first baby. They said she had one before but didn't take care of it for whatever reason. That is why we were worried at first and did some research on Beserk Male Syndrome and bottle-fed llamas.

ALLISON & DAVID

Bailey - lab mix; Gabby - min pin
Nicolas, Mason, Vixen, Peyton, Morgan, & Sealy - the kitty klan
Preston - crossed the bridge 7/12/2006, Maddox (6/26/2003 - 7/12/2011)

CatandJim

Tulsa, as in Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/12 04:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That would be quite the surprise!

We have a llama in the pasture behind us. They are funny creatures and no you do not want to be on the receiving end of their spit. I had to clean up my great nephew after repeatedly telling him "Don't get too close Zak".... well he got too close. Ugh!

* This post was edited 01/19/12 04:41pm by CatandJim *

Cat
(Jim just reads the forum once in a while)

Our toys:
2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
(picture on profile)
Boat = ProCraft Fish & Ski

Working our way toward retirement...wishing it was soon.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 07:06am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We vaccinated our 45 ewes and took care of missing ear tags last weekend. Feb 1 is our predicted start of lambing based upon when the rams were turned out last fall. We have 2-3 that have been waddling around the fields the last few weeks so we're expecting them to lamb first (one of these is typically the first to lamb every year). We may have a few that didn't take (get bred) which is okay for last year's lambs but not okay for the ones that didn't lamb last year. By mid March we could have 60-90 lambs out on the fields.

Mark

Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Gyp (retired), Peg, Bette, BJ, Nell, Tally, Eve, Grant, & Lee
Sam the Maremma Sheepdog (at home guarding our flock)
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 04:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lambing starts here in about 1 week and we have seen a few that are getting very big. As long as there are no issues I enjoy lambing time.

Mark

AllisonAndrews

Stephenville, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 06:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BCSnob wrote:

Lambing starts here in about 1 week and we have seen a few that are getting very big. As long as there are no issues I enjoy lambing time.

Mark

Yep, last year the first kids (baby goats) were born here on 1/18/11. I can't remember if they were early or not. But it means that time should be just around the corner...

Although... we just gave meds to the group that will kid next and based on what pen they were in (they had access to the back pasture), they can't be that close to kidding. They get moved up to a smaller pen near the house when it is time to kid... Thinking they were bred in September, so maybe we are looking at February kids this year.

nabi

Ont

View Profile

Posted: 01/19/12 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What a wonderful surprise....beautiful baby and momma.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CD&T and remove lamb tags and replace in same hole with permanent farm button tags color coded based on sire.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 09:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Renee takes notes, loads the ear tagger, and crayons them when finished; we split duty on changing needles and filling syringes. One of the dogs gets to pack and hold a group of sheep into a corner of the barn stall while I catch, hold, and inject. Vaccinating would be a lot easier if it was IM instead of subQ. Renee typically does the banding during the day (while I'm at work) with the help of a dog to pack the sheep into the corner of a stall. Renee also does the feeding and daily check in the fields on the flock with the help of a lucky dog.

AllisonAndrews

Stephenville, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 07:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, sounds like we were doing similar jobs last weekend! We did a vaccine(for tetanus and overeating) and then we had some ear tags that the wrong pen was used and the writing was starting to fade, so they had to be redone. (Just trace over the tag - we didn't have to cut them out and retag.) Must have been about the same number of nannies as well - each bottle of vaccine will do 25 goats, and I had just a bit left in my 2nd bottle.

We have another group that will kid around April.

AllisonAndrews

Stephenville, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If only I had a nickel for every dose of CD-T I've drawn up over the years!

I got married young so I would no longer have to catch or hold the goats. My husband, with the assistance of my mother, catches and holds the goats, my dad gives the vaccines/ ear tags/ bands/ dehorns/ etc., and I load up the syringes, ear guns, bander, take notes, etc.

You'd think after 10 years of seeing it done, I'd be able to give a shot, but nope, I still have trouble even watching. I no longer almost faint if something causes a blood drop, but I just don't think I'll ever be up to doing the shots myself.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Pet Stop

> A surprise in the pasture
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Pet Stop

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS