|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> recommended dehumidifiers

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Steelsmith

Nampa, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 01:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife and I will be in the Tampa Bay area of Florida in early spring. We understand that a dehumidifier is an essential in Florida for that time of year.
Do you have a recommendation for what brand/model to purchase? We will be living in a 33' Class A MH for several months in this environment.
We currently live in a 'high desert' environment, so are unfamiliar with dehumidifiers. We're looking for one that can be plumbed to drain itself, is compact, as light weight as possible and under $500. Oh, and I have seen posted here about noise being a factor, so is there a quiet one that will also have the rest of the above listed requirements?

Thank you for sharing your experience with us!
Dan & Jan Stevens

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 02:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Eva-Dry dehumidifiers for my TT. I have one Eva-Dry 2200 Electric that runs when I fire up the generator. It uses a Peltier system as opposed to a compressor and evaporator, so is very quiet. The downside is that it does not pull nearly as much water from the air as a standard dehumidifier, and one can put a regular dehumidifier in the bathroom to drain down the tub if needed.

I also use "passive" Eva-dry mini dehumidifiers. These use silica beads, and will go from blue to pink. Then, to dump the water, you plug the heater into 120VAC outside somewhere for about a day, and it has a small heater that extracts the water back in the air. The nice thing about these compared to Damp-Rid is that they are reusable, pull a decent amount of water from the air, and don't make a mess.

The downsides are that the Eva-Dry 500 the time it takes to "renew" them, and you really need to plug it into a power strip. I have a few of them that rotate in and out so one is having the water dumped out while others are in the TT. Also, the Eva-Drys get hot, and can discolor plastic if plugged into an outlet, so let them "renew" on a solid surface using a power strip. Finally, if you drop this, you have hundreds of silica balls to clean up.

* This post was edited 01/20/12 02:16pm by mlts22 *

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 02:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we have been using a haier (sp?) 2 speed smaller compressor driven dehumidifier for 2 years now. the basic model with manual controls. reasonably quite, casters to move it around, nice and small. will hold about 3 gallons of water, and when really humid out at the oregon coast we empty it twice/day. Cost was about $125 and it can be plumbed into a drain if you want.

Try before you buy, at least to see how much noise it makes, some are pretty noisey in a trailer.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

donn0128

Pronounced Ore-gun

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 03:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go online and do a search for dehumidifier ratings and reviews. Pick the one with the highest ratings this year.

Don,Lorri,Max (The Rescue Flat Coat Retriever?)
Resident Dummy.

2oldman

Moses Lake

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your a/c is an excellent one if the temps are high enough.

Steelsmith

Nampa, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 06:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing the 'reviews' don't address is the noise, which is a relative quantity, what would be considered loud in an RV wouldn't matter in a regular house. I need your real-world experience in an RV to draw upon.

I know they're in the specifications for each unit, but if you could share your experience it would save me a lot of time researching each of the many products offered.

Thanks,
Dan Stevens

conmoto

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/12 08:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use the "Soleus Air model CFM-40E". It is a 40 pint unit,and it is quiet. We are on our third season using it and would buy another.

Steelsmith

Nampa, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 09:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Conmoto, thank you for your response. Do you use your dehumidifier in self draining mode or use the bucket? Have you used it in a hot humid environment, like Florida and what sized RV do you have it in?

Thanks again!
Dan Stevens

wagonmaster2

northcentral oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/12 09:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went to Lowes and got a 25 pint Fridgidare (spelling) for about $160 to use in our 36' Meridian. It's on rollers so we can use it in the bath, kitchen, or living area, wherever the humidity is getting too high. We use a temperature/humidity gauge to tell whenever the humidity gets over 65-70%, then turn on the dehumidifier. We've been using it for about 3 years now and wouldn't be without one. We usually vacation in Colorado where humidity isn't too bad but when the coach is kept closed up, the washer/dryer is running, washed clothes are hung in the shower to finish drying, both of us are showering every day, and something is boiling on the stove the humidity can rise pretty easily.

It's probably a little less noisy than a roof air conditioner but we generally run it at night away from the bedroom to cover up noises in the campground from vehicles running early in the mornings and the neighbor's dogs barking. The unit automatically shuts off when the bucket gets full and I usually have to empty it about every 2-4 days, sometimes only once a week, depending on the moisture factor.

I'll never be without one again. Windows/windshield doesn't sweat during cold spells and wall don't run with moisture.

Good luck on your search, you'll never regret getting one.

Wagonmaster2

* This post was edited 01/20/12 09:53pm by wagonmaster2 *

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 01:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ditto for the 25 qt Frigidaire from Lowe's.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> recommended dehumidifiers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS