RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: Cast Iron Dutch Oven Cooking...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Cast Iron Dutch Oven Cooking...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tiogafrank

Thousand Oaks

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/11/12 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trying to get a pic or link. Hope this works

Dutch Oven Cooking, Quartzite, AZ

Not all who wander are lost...

http://yaquimagic.blogspot.com/

hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 02/12/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DS & his friends used to have "Thanksgiving in July". They brought Dutch Ovens to the campground and made turkey & with all the trimmings. Yum !

L Nevins

ny

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/20/12 09:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Read with interest some of the recipes posted, and checked out Byron's. Can someone elaborate on pizza in a DO? Any recipe or instructions? That sounds like it would be really good.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 02/20/12 05:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

L Nevins wrote:

Read with interest some of the recipes posted, and checked out Byron's. Can someone elaborate on pizza in a DO? Any recipe or instructions? That sounds like it would be really good.

We do pizza with a simple recipe - I buy either the refrigerated pizza crust that comes in a tube or the bulk prepared package in a bag from Winco. I spray the inside of the DO with non-stick spray. Spread out the crust. Cover it with pesto or Alfredo sauce (DH does not like red sauce) - cooked chicken strips cut up, artichoke hearts, olives, mushrooms, and cover with a shredded Italian cheese mix, cover and place on the coals, placing a few on top. I check it after 10 minutes for doneness. Checking every 5 minutes after that. We have learned that if you wait till you can smell it, the crust is burned and you end up scooping out what you can save. You can add whatever ingredients you want. We camped next to a family that made six different flavors all in DO's one night and invited us over. They used packaged biscuits for their crust and had everything from the pepperoni and mushroom to barbecued chicken, and all were delicious.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!

Ohiojude

Westmoreland County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am I doing something wrong?

I have tried to make this twice. Just like the instructions here you dump dry cake mix on the fruit which I did. I baked it just like instructed and the cake mix didn't blend or become anything but dry cake mix. I ended up throwing both in the trash.

05 Chevy 3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison, **traded in the lemon of the year-2012 Winnie Raven for 2014 BC 3596RE which is always loaded and ready

Ohiojude

Westmoreland County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 09:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have tried to make dump cake twice. Just like the instructions here you dump dry cake mix on the fruit which I did. I baked it just like instructed and the cake mix didn't blend or become anything but dry cake mix. I ended up throwing both in the trash.

Grub

Pierre

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 10:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You guys talking about pizza is making me hungry for a pizza night at home!

ReneeG wrote:

L Nevins wrote:

We do pizza with a simple recipe - I buy either the refrigerated pizza crust that comes in a tube or the bulk prepared package in a bag from Winco. I spray the inside of the DO with non-stick spray. Spread out the crust. Cover it with pesto or Alfredo sauce (DH does not like red sauce) - cooked chicken strips cut up, artichoke hearts, olives, mushrooms, and cover with a shredded Italian cheese mix, cover and place on the coals, placing a few on top. I check it after 10 minutes for doneness. Checking every 5 minutes after that. We have learned that if you wait till you can smell it, the crust is burned and you end up scooping out what you can save. You can add whatever ingredients you want. We camped next to a family that made six different flavors all in DO's one night and invited us over. They used packaged biscuits for their crust and had everything from the pepperoni and mushroom to barbecued chicken, and all were delicious.

Any day enjoying the great outdoors beats any day enjoying your 8x8 office cube!

wbwood

Mooresville/Troutman, NC area

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 08:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ohiojude wrote:

I have tried to make this twice. Just like the instructions here you dump dry cake mix on the fruit which I did. I baked it just like instructed and the cake mix didn't blend or become anything but dry cake mix. I ended up throwing both in the trash.

- wipe the inside of the oven with some butter (stick).
- dump the contents of a large can or two smaller cans. Include juice and all.
- pour in cake mix. No need to stir it and mix it. Jusut level it around as much as possible.
- you can optionally take some cinnamon and sprinkle over the top.
- with the stick of butter you used to coat the oven inside, cut up small pats and place around on top of cake mix.
- follow instructions for a 350 degree oven. Use whatever method you like.
- let it cook and turn every 15 minutes. Rotate base quarter turn one way and the lid the other way.
- apply new briquets as needed.
- cooking time will vary. Usually no longer 45 minutes to na hour. Just keep an eye on it.

Made it twice with peaches in a can (actually 2 - 14/15 oz cans). It turned out grat both times.

Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Ohiojude

Westmoreland County

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/01/12 04:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wbwood wrote:

Ohiojude wrote:

- wipe the inside of the oven with some butter (stick).
- dump the contents of a large can or two smaller cans. Include juice and all.
- pour in cake mix. No need to stir it and mix it. Jusut level it around as much as possible.
- you can optionally take some cinnamon and sprinkle over the top.
- with the stick of butter you used to coat the oven inside, cut up small pats and place around on top of cake mix.
- follow instructions for a 350 degree oven. Use whatever method you like.
- let it cook and turn every 15 minutes. Rotate base quarter turn one way and the lid the other way.
- apply new briquets as needed.
- cooking time will vary. Usually no longer 45 minutes to na hour. Just keep an eye on it.

Made it twice with peaches in a can (actually 2 - 14/15 oz cans). It turned out grat both times.

Thank You. I will try it again this weekend. It sounds really good. I like the peaches idea.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/01/12 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was edited 03/01/12 06:58pm by Ron3rd *

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  |