RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: Cast Iron Dutch Oven Cooking...

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

 > Cast Iron Dutch Oven Cooking...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Suzanne and Brad

Oregon

Senior Member

Joined: 10/06/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/25/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dks wrote:

Suzanne and Brad, for your Dump Cake do you add any liquid to the mix? It sounds similar to the coke cake recipe. Does the canned fruit have enough liquid?


Nope, no more liquid than what's in the canned fruit.
(Unless you include the melted ice cream on top!)


Happy Travels!
Suzanne & Brad

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

Senior Member

Joined: 03/22/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/25/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LynnandCarol wrote:

Does any out there still do this while camping?? I would like to give it a try, but since there are only two of us, can it be done in a small dutch oven and are there available recipes for this???


A couple we travel with are HUGE dutch oven chefs! They've been doing for about 25 years, starting with the Boy Scouts when their kids were young. Hard to beat, and we want to learn.


2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Car Guy

South Central Wisconsin - America's Dairyland

Senior Member

Joined: 05/18/2006

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/29/12 11:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love doing all three meals in the D.O. Mountain Man for Breakfast, pizza or soup and sandwiches for lunch, we'll deep fry some hors'doerves and have swiss steak with biscuts for dinner. If I'm adventurous (and not too full), I'll bake an apple pie for dessert.


Car Guy, Security Babe & Kids
2013 Ford F-150 3.5 L Ecoboost D.I.Turbo TiVCT Super Crew XLT

06 Jayco 232 Hybrid
Rallys attended-6; Statz Family Kamps-10
In Wisconsin we're more than
Beer, Brats, Burgers, Cows,& Cheese
Join us
Camping in Wisconsin.com


Tiogafrank

Thousand Oaks

New Member

Joined: 05/08/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/08/12 11:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been cooking with Dutch Ovens for over 10 years. I always keep a 12 inch Lodge D.O. in my rig. Any chance I can take it out and cook, it's there.

When I'm at my site, people walking by are always curious about the oven. They are amaze that people can cook with a D.O.


Not all who wander are lost...

http://yaquimagic.blogspot.com/


Tiogafrank

Thousand Oaks

New Member

Joined: 05/08/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/08/12 06:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nuff' said


https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/-1T0Lzzs7aoXr92cGIYUBtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

* This post was edited 02/08/12 06:50pm by Tiogafrank *

bigred1cav

ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/10/12 10:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Car Guy wrote:

I love doing all three meals in the D.O. Mountain Man for Breakfast, pizza or soup and sandwiches for lunch, we'll deep fry some hors'doerves and have swiss steak with biscuts for dinner. If I'm adventurous (and not too full), I'll bake an apple pie for dessert.

How much time is involved with cleaning the pot between meals and how long does it take for meals to cook?





Ole Man Dan

Gadsden, Alabama

Senior Member

Joined: 03/26/2010

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/10/12 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigred1cav wrote:

Car Guy wrote:

I love doing all three meals in the D.O. Mountain Man for Breakfast, pizza or soup and sandwiches for lunch, we'll deep fry some hors'doerves and have swiss steak with biscuts for dinner. If I'm adventurous (and not too full), I'll bake an apple pie for dessert.

How much time is involved with cleaning the pot between meals and how long does it take for meals to cook?


Most of the time, a well seasoned Dutch Oven is wiped out,rinsed out,(NO SOAP), re-oiled and heated a couple of minutes to get the oil back into the pours then wiped again... It's ready for use.
Clean up time is a couple of minutes.

PS: The food's done when it's done... time varies.

bigred1cav

ohio

Senior Member

Joined: 09/14/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/10/12 04:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ole Man Dan wrote:

bigred1cav wrote:

Car Guy wrote:

I love doing all three meals in the D.O. Mountain Man for Breakfast, pizza or soup and sandwiches for lunch, we'll deep fry some hors'doerves and have swiss steak with biscuts for dinner. If I'm adventurous (and not too full), I'll bake an apple pie for dessert.

How much time is involved with cleaning the pot between meals and how long does it take for meals to cook?


Most of the time, a well seasoned Dutch Oven is wiped out,rinsed out,(NO SOAP), re-oiled and heated a couple of minutes to get the oil back into the pours then wiped again... It's ready for use.
Clean up time is a couple of minutes.

PS: The food's done when it's done... time varies.


The residual food does not stick in the Pot?

Thank you

Tiogafrank

Thousand Oaks

New Member

Joined: 05/08/2011

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/10/12 08:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found some DO liners at Walmart, and they work very well. Cooked a Tamale Pie and had no mess.

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 07/13/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/11/12 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We scrape ours out, water rinse, no soap, and put it away again.


2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 SD CC DRW 6.7L Diesel Lariat, Hensley BD3 with Ford Under-Bed Adaptor
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, and Missy in spirit), Maggie, and Mica!


This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

 > Cast Iron Dutch Oven Cooking...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS