|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Noob question re: full-timing

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
cbennett5199

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 04:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK. So here I am now: work full-time in tech field, mostly telecommuting, but do occasionally have to go into DC, donning suit and looking "professional." Will be working for as far as my eyes can see. Just finishing a divorce, so am on my own, though I've been living in DC apartments for several years now. Have a 14 yr old son, with whom I love exploring new places.

I'm toying with the idea of getting out of the apartment searching, lease-trapping, rate-crazy rat-race of the apartment rental market, and living full-time in an RV. I started looking at Class A models, but couldn't bear the thought of the mpg, and will probably do a good amount of dry camping, so was thinking something less obvious/noticeable would be better. Why do I mention dry camping? Staying at RV parks doesn't sound particularly fun to me, and with the daily rates anywhere near DC, my monthly expenses will be worse than if I simply rented an apartment. I've been looking more closely at Sprinter chassis, Class C rigs like Fleetwood Jamboree/Tioga, Winnebago View, and Itasca Navion. The small Class A Winnebago Via and Itasca Reyo look pretty nice, but not sure whether their mpg is significantly worse than the others.

Being totally new to this whole world, I'm not sure whether my idea idea is totally unrealistic from an economic perspective, from a dry camping perspective (I don't even know how much electrical I can run at night without using the generator), or from any other perspective.

If any of you are willing to share your thoughts, opinions, suggestions with me, I'd be very grateful. Thanks in advance.

Saint Augustine

Saint Augustine

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/12 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If it just you, the Navion or View would be great. You will have reasonable gas mileage, enough room for you and things, and small enough to be your intown vehicle.

Good luck

TyroneandGladys

Chandler AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/12 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

I actually rented an RV and "did" D.C. for ten days in 1992 by overnighting in the park and rides (change every morning), putting in to an RV park every third night for showers, dumping, etc.

b

Instead of of park and rides check with your employer about the parking lot.

Tyrone & Gladys
26' 1986 Coachmen

gemsworld

Sunny Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/12 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're going to full time, in my opinion, you should not consider a moho smaller than 30', you'll feel cramped in a very short time. You'll pay a considerable premium for a diesel Sprinter and the payback in fuel savings will take years. Also, keep in mind the smaller mohos, specially the Sprinters and smaller Cs, have very little storage, and more importantly for boondocking, the holding tanks are very small.

Good luck!

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 05:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually rented an RV and "did" D.C. for ten days in 1992 by overnighting in the park and rides (change every morning), putting in to an RV park every third night for showers, dumping, etc.

Now I'm not even sure how I got away with it, except that it was during a Presidential Inauguration and the whole town (excepting perhaps the outgoing administration ) was in a good mood.

But that was 20 years ago....
Nowadays, I think that drycamping in the Washington D.C. area, especially on a full-time basis, is an impossible dream.

I guess that puts me in the "totally unrealistic" camp.

* This post was edited 01/21/12 05:35pm by Francesca Knowles *

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

cbennett5199

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 05:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gemsworld wrote:

If you're going to full time, in my opinion, you should not consider a moho smaller than 30', you'll feel cramped in a very short time. You'll pay a considerable premium for a diesel Sprinter and the payback in fuel savings will take years. Also, keep in mind the smaller mohos, specially the Sprinters and smaller Cs, have very little storage, and more importantly for boondocking, the holding tanks are very small.

Good luck!

Thanks all for the quick feedback. The whole idea may be ridiculous. I'll keep probing a bit more before throwing in the towel.

Gemsworld - What would be a minimum holding tank size you would recommend for dry camping "most" of the time?

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh boy! Where do I begin? All I can tell you is I've traveled for 30 years making a living. From Florida to NY. Winter travel above NC can often be a challenge. There are far fewer open campgrounds and dump stations. It's one thing to be up north for a week during the winter while dry camping provided you have a four seasoned RV. But to live a reasonably normal life, you'll need an open campground close to work during the winter.

RVn Full-time

DaCrema

Va

View Profile

Posted: 01/21/12 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Although it does not get Minnesota cold here, the Potomac freezes over for a week or two at at time almost every winter. Single digits at night are not that uncommon (the snow we had the last two years is an abstract accident of nature just proving she could). But spending a few nights when the temps drop into single digits could be a little rough.

alliemac9

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/12 06:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Might want to check out www.tosimplify.net. He's on the road now, but started out full timing in LA. I think I've seen him on these forums, too.

2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 people + 2 dogs

docj

Fulltime--Home is where we park it

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/21/12 06:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having owned a Ford-based Class C (E450) and a 40' diesel Class A I can tell you the mileage is not much different. The Ford chassis provides most people 9-10 mpg and our much larger Class A delivers a consistent 8 mpg. There is no comparison with respect to storage space or interior room. I'm sorry now that we ever bothered with the Class C.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes

> Noob question re: full-timing
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes