|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Atwood Levelegs problems

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
mchammer

Bartow,Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/12 09:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2007 Allegro Bus and my first Atwood problem was the awning didn't dump and the tube bent. I straightened that. Next, a rear leveler failed on the road. I removed it, took it apart, and found a gear had broken. Atwood refused to sell me a new gear, but would sell me a new leveler for $800. I told them I could have a new gear made at a machine shop for $100 and would call Bob Tiffin and tell him to quit using their crap. They then sent me 3 gears--free. A year later another one failed in the down position. Called road service mechanic and told him all we had to do was install one of my spare gears. Unfortunately, the gear was fine, but screw had broken. Called Atwood to price a new one--still $800, so I called Tiffin and got one for just under $400. Tiffin also quit using the levelegs so I can no longer use the "call Bob Tiffin" threat. I installed the new leg and called Atwood to buy a new screw. They wanted pictures of failed unit which I sent. They said they couldn't sell me a new screw for safety reasons. Told them I was a mechanical engineer and could certainly install a new screw. Also told them these levelers have been used about 50 times with 2 failures--a failure every 25 cycles is scary, and I just wanted a spare to carry with me. No luck. Also told them what a poor design these levelers were and they kindly offered to sell me their "updated improved" new design for only $1800. Has anyone been able to wrangle repair parts from these people?

Marvin Hammer
2007 Allegro Bus QSP
06 Volkswagen Jetta Diesel

BobGed

Carson City, NV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regarding obtaining parts, you may already have this information, but just in case, I would recommend speaking with Sue Noyes (574) 266-4703 s.noyes@atwoodmovile.com. If anyone can get it done, she can.

I think using Bob Tiffin's name still might carry some weight as I know Atwood has been trying to get Tiffin to use their new updated system.

Atwood installed the new system on my coach last year free of charge (some conditions need to be met). Their service tech flew out to AZ from IN to do the installation and train the shop personnel. He explained some of the differences of the new system. First, the control board will not even begin to activate the jacks if it determines the coach is too far out of level to be corrected by lowering the jacks, thereby over-extending the jacks. Second, the control panel will count the number of revolutions it takes to extend each jack, and then will not exceed that number when retracting. As an added safety feature, once the high point of the retraction is set at install, the jacks will stop retracting 1/4" before that point regardless of the number of revolutions. Third, when you activate retract-all the system will first completely fill the air bags before the jacks actually start retracting.

So far the new system has performed flawlessly for me, but time will tell when we start using the coach more this spring and summer.

2009 Tiffin Phaeton 40QSH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/12 10:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How is an Atwood system blamed for an Awning(Not Atwood) problem that YOU caused by leaving in the rain????????

Atwood does have certain rebuild kits NOW, after years of complaints but not a kit for your problem
Atwood does have an upgrade program for Tiffin installed Atwood jacks, but I have yet to see or do one (we are a Tiffin dealer)
Tiffin did indeed drop Atwood Electric jacks as other OEM's did because of the failures and extremely high cost of parts.
You need to contac Tiffin to see if your unit falls under the upgrade program. Doug

Silverfurby

CAlifornia

View Profile

Posted: 02/27/12 03:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Usually Atwood level legs are not purchased independently by coach owners but come with the coach, put on by the mfr. Dissatisfaction would carry a much larger cost to Atwood if this were not the case. But the continued failure of the same parts in the legs points to design problems not use, or just "wear and tear". Atwood's two year warranty attempts to limit its responsibility to produce a product that successfully does what it is advertised and sold to do. Designing and selling an inferior product not properly constructed is common, and the limitation of a warranty does not change the fact that the product doesn't do as advertised. Atwood (and other manufacturers of under-engineered or cheaply built equipment) would change their behavior if more consumers simply asked them to explain to a small claim court judge why consistent, similar, regular failures of their product for the same reason did not represent false adverstising since the product fials to accomplish what it was claimed to be capable of. In California asking a judge to make the decision costs less than $50.00. It is not being sue happy, it represents merely asking a third party to evaluate a disagreement. On the other hand, buying replacement units at $800+ a pop helps the economy.

katoomer

Vancouver

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/27/12 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only have 2 on going problems with our coach.
One is the Precision Temp hotwater heating system and the other is my Atwwod Levelegs.
Both are poorly designed and underbuilt

2009 Newmar Ventana 3942
2010 Pace Shadow 18ft
2010 KTM 450 XCW six days
2010 Can Am Outlander 650 XT
2009 Yamaha TTR125
1989 Douglas Skater 21' Twin 2.5s

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Atwood Levelegs problems
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes