|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ford 350 "stutttering" over 50mph - Pleasureway XL TD

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 02:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd guess three things, knowing Fords of that vintage:

Coil-on-plugs.
Spark plugs (Ford engines can spit them out).
Fuel pump.

If not already replaced, I'd replace the spark plugs, and perhaps the coils, then make sure the fuel pump is OK. Sometimes it is, other times it will require a fuel tank drop to get to it and replace.

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 08:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 5.4 did similar then degraded to where increased throttle always caused misfire.
A coil was bad. I think water had gotten to it.
Might not be. On a diagnostic scope or whatever it will show up quickly.

Lorne&Lorraine

Ottawa, ON

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 04:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

My 5.4 did similar then degraded to where increased throttle always caused misfire.
A coil was bad. I think water had gotten to it.
Might not be. On a diagnostic scope or whatever it will show up quickly.

My 03 Ford Excel TD 5.4 l did exactly the same thing. It would come and go but got steadily worse over time. Tried many things. No code was set. Finally decided to replace all the plugs and COPs. That solved the problem. In replacing the plugs and coils there was evidence of water (rusty stain along the plug and COP) in the rear most plug hole on the passenger side so it was probably that COP that went bad. Apparently no code being said is not uncommon with this problem on this engine. And water getting into the plug recesses is also not uncommon. By far best to use Ford OEM plugs and COPS. Too many reports of problems with 3rd party parts. Even though we did the work ourselves it was expensive since the OEM parts are not cheap. My brother had the same problem with two of his Ford engines. I could have reduced costs by replacing COPS one at a time to isolate the issue cylinder, but I had wrestled with diagnosing this thing so long that I just wanted to get it over and be done with it. I also wanted to replace all the plugs and since it's such a tight and knuckle scraping job I felt I might as well just replace all the COPS while I was at it. I kept the old ones as spares.

Lorne Ross
2003 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD
Camped the lower 48 states and 9 provinces
Most multiple times and now on the repeat!

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most certainly stay with the Ford OEM spark plugs, the Tritons hate everything else!

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman
Camping Pic's and Mods
Winter Camping Tips and Tricks

Ole Man Dan

Gadsden, Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/12 09:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RaenMark wrote:

Many auto parts stores will plug into the computer and tell you what codes are coming up. Even if it is running properly now, something in the control module should have a record of any fault. Once you get the report, you can make a decision on how to repair. Many of the items already mentioned sound possible, but plug in and get the readings before buying any parts or services.

Around here several 'Auto Zone' dealers provide that service, and will also turn off codes for their customers. My Diesel has an aftermarket air breather with a re-usable filter... Every 5,000 miles it throws a code. I get this service from them because I buy oil, wiper blades, and fuel treatment regularly.

RaenMark

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 08:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many auto parts stores will plug into the computer and tell you what codes are coming up. Even if it is running properly now, something in the control module should have a record of any fault. Once you get the report, you can make a decision on how to repair. Many of the items already mentioned sound possible, but plug in and get the readings before buying any parts or services.

Rae & Mark
Bountiful, UT
1999 Fleetwood American Tradition 40
Just got it and learning about it as we go!

ferretgrandpa

Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 01:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I fought a similar problem with my 94 F-250. Ended up fixing by used a higher grade gasoline. I use 87 octane and it acts up, I put 89 in it and it 'fixes' the problem, if I use 92 then I get better mileage. Brand of fuel also makes a big difference.

So try a tank or 2 of a higher octane fuel, might fix the problem.

98 GMC 2500
RBW Lil Rocker 15K
08 Flagstaff 8526 RLS

jschlegel48

Travelling

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/12 03:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No one has suggested the transmission.... I don't know which you have but the 4R70W transmission is notorious for a "stutter" shifting down from overdrive. It's like the thing can't decide whether to shift or not and feels just like a misfire. Happens only on very light load demands, like on cruise control and encountering a small hill. Anything requiring more acceleration results in a normal downshift. Many, many ideas on a fix but no one (even from Ford) has successively eliminated the problem. Go to some of the Ford forums where you can find a lot of discussions of this problem.

Respectfully,

badabing777

Capitola, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To follow up on this - the problem was a bad coil-on-plug.

All the suggestions were great, and all good possibilities, much appreciated!

~alan
2003 Pleasureway XL TD
Capitola-by-the-Sea, California

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Ford 350 "stutttering" over 50mph - Pleasureway XL TD
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts