RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Golf Cart in Back of MEGA Cab RAM, towing with tailgate down

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Golf Cart in Back of MEGA Cab RAM, towing with tailgate down

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
The LeRoys

St Petersburg, FL, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/22/12 10:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm thinking about getting a new truck. I've been searching for a Long Bed truck to pull our TT, and also keep a golf cart in the bed of the truck. I figure i need about 7' of floor in the bed of the truck to hold the cart, and I'd have to leave the tailgate off when its in there.

Then I got wondering, if I went with a MEGA Cab Dodge, with the 6.4' bed, and had the tailgate down, the golf cart would fit. But would I be able to tow the camper with a tailgate down.

Has anyone out there been able to tow with tailgate down and not bump your jack?

I'm going to try to find one locally, that I can test drive and bring home and use to measure to see if it will fit. But before I tried, I was curious if anyone else had done it.

Brian & Evie LeRoy and our 3 girls, Bryanna, MaryAnne & Ashleigh
2013 KZ Spree 329IK
2005 Silverado 2500

chevyman2

missouri

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/12 10:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didnt do any research on your trailer, but I assume it is a bumper pull of sorts, since you will have a full bed and you can still pull. In a nutshell (if it is a bumper pull) YES YES YES. You can pull with the tailgate down, however you will likely have to have your hitch bar (ball mount) cut and rewelded with an extra long bar. Hook up now and measure the distance from the tailgate to the jack. Then remember you will still need that much distance with the gate down. And likely a few more inches to accomadate tight turns.
--Remember. The longer the bar, "USUALLY" the more wiggle in the trailer while being towed. PROBABLY-the longer the bar, the weaker the setup also. Not to mention the difference in the tongue weight ratio.
--YES you can do this, however I would contact Reese (or some hitch maker) and get their opinions first. You might be asking for a disaster if you do this.
--not to mention the trouble that CAN come from leaving the gate down with a load in the bed.
--I think you could do it, Im not sure I would recommend it though.

Tim-DW(Kathy)
12 Chevy Sonic DD, 03 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE, 95 Palamino PUP
When I grow up I want to be retired.. THEN I WONT HAVE TO GROW UP AT ALL!!!!

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/22/12 10:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd think you'd also have to consider how the rig is going to turn with the tailgate down.. It seems to me that it is going to reduce your ability to make a tight turn without hitting the trailer with the tailgate?

I know on my setup, I can't lower the tailgate all the way when it's hitched up.

Maybe with a longer shank, it could work, but I'd be concerned about the turning radius.

Good luck!

Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2003 Prowler Lynx 722F #5000 GVWR and weighs every bit of it! Happy Camping!

lawnspecialties

Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/12 04:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been there. Done it many many times.

Back when we had a travel trailer, we also liked to take our golf cart. But here's the only problem you may have. Will the golf cart's rear tires be in the bed or sitting on the tailgate? If the bed is big enough that the cart's rear tires are inside the bed, here's what we did many, many trips.

Take the cables that hold up your tailgate and run them over the locking pegs on the bed frame. You know the knobs that stick out that the bed actually locks to? When you do this, the tailgate will lay down at approximately a 45 degree angle. That allows the cart to ride in the back but keeps the tailgate from hitting the TT's jack and helps with the turning radius.

Here's an old pic I found. This was before a trip to Disney. Over 1200 miles round trip and no problem like this the entire trip.

2013 F350 SRW 4X4 6.2L
2014 Work & Play 30WRS

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/12 05:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK from the engineering point of view, that two foot longer receiver bar to the hitch ball would put a heck of a lot of stress on the receiver. It would act as a lever arm and multiply the forces felt by the receiver every time you turn or hit a bump. Just like a pry bar multiplies the force you can put on something.

You also have to consider whether the tongue weight plus that golf cart would put you over the axle weight and/or GCWR,

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

Perrysburg Dodgeboy

Perrysburg, Ohio USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 06:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You also could consider using a fifth wheel tailgate when you want to take your golf cart with you. They have the center cut out so you won't have any interference with the jack on the trailer. Just a thought.

Lawnspecialties idea doesn't look bad. I would just worry about the gate bouncing open if you hit a bump or chuck hole.

Don

Currently truck less and trailer less. Sold the 2500 Ram and ordered a 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Eco-diesel. Or as I have been told on here, the slowest & weakest truck on the market

APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 06:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's wrong with the Ram crew cab and 8' bed? Have you compared the rear seat space between them? Also check out the Super Duty crew cab. They are pretty large. and you can get the 8' beds.

And get a 1-ton SRW at least. I was at the North American International Auto Show last week and compared the payloads of 3/4 ton diesels they had. 2200-2400 pounds was it. Ram didn't have a sticker, but I suspect it was under 2000 pounds. That Cummins is heavy.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

whisperide

Golden Spike area

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 06:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Take the tailgate off, bolt a 2"x8", or 2 for a 4"x8", to each side of the bumper for the cart's tires to rest on. Problem solved, cheap. As for the tailgate, leave it home, or slide it under the cart with the ramps.

'06 GMC C2500HD RCLB gasser 4.10:1, 4L80E, custom camshaft
'84 Trans Am 6.2 diesel, 700R-4, custom Class-3 receiver
'69 F350 dually. GM 6.2 diesel, turbo, 700R-4, NP208 all pending.

whisperide

Golden Spike area

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 06:51am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:

Lawnspecialties idea doesn't look bad. I would just worry about the gate bouncing open if you hit a bump or chuck hole.
Don

As one of the few who always drives with the tailgate down ( whenever the box is empty and my tonneau isn't on ) I can report that I never get any real bouncing of the tailgate. There's only one place in the entire county where I ever hear it bounce, and even then it isn't much.

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just keep in mind that an extended stinger reduces the weight carrying ability of the trucks receiver. With this in mind I couldn't do it because my trailer has a tongue weight of 1,200 lb. which is within 50 lb. of my 1250 lb. rated hitch. Without an extension on the stinger, you will more than likely damage your tail gate. Also, without knowing anything about your truck, you need to remember that every pound you carry in the truck reduces it's tow RATING by the same amount. Would need complete specifications on your truck, trailer and hitch capacity to say whether it is feasible or not.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Golf Cart in Back of MEGA Cab RAM, towing with tailgate down
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS