|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> kayaks vs canoes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
lizzie

Unaka NC &Sopchoppy FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/12 05:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skip! I'm disappointed in you but will take into consideration that you are from Kansas. Have you guys never seen a 12' solo flatwater canoe paddled by an expert? Or a whitewater playboat paddled by same? Come on down and let's go canoeing. lizzie

1mtnman

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 05:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JenniferandJosh wrote:

1mtnman, very nice! Would two fit on the top of a truck? Id like my husband and I to do this as an activity together.

Yes two will fit on top of your vehicle with the standup type racks.

We have a lot of small lakes in Colorado and Wisconsin where we also visit and the Old Town works very nicely. The noticeable round black port by the electronic storage is for a swivel fly rod holder.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 06:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are 2-person kayaks, just as there are 2-person canoes, if a couple wishes to keep to a single craft.

Last summer I tried a Hobie kayak with Mirage Drive. I really liked it and want to buy one eventually. The Mirage Drive is powered by your feet and has 2 flippers that push the kayak along waaay faster than a paddle. It's really fun and comfortable; imagine riding a bike where there are no hills to climb (the lake is always level!) and you can slow or stop to rest anytime you like without tipping over. You can even add a little optional sail to the Hobie, so you have 3 options: paddle, pedal, or sail. They come in inflatable versions, too.

Another similar kayak is the Native Watercraft with the Propel drive; where the Hobie's pedals go back and forth, the Native's pedals go around and around just like a bike's to drive an actual propeller (forward or even reverse), but the Native won't go as fast and supposedly takes more pedal effort due to its gearing.

Mike G.
2008 Toyota Highlander, 2010 Aliner Ranger 12

former owner of Starcraft popup, 23' Rockwood TT, 17' Burro TT, 16' KZ TT

ArcticDodge

Sammamish, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a great many options in canoes and kayaks with a great rage in prices to match. For lakes, I prefer a canoe. I have a 15 foot Pelican I got for a fair price off of craiglist. I made a wood "rack" that sits in the rear of the truck bed and it supports the canoe in the rear and the front of the canoe sits on a thick foam pad right on top of the cab. It's a two person job but works well.

2009 Komfort 256TS
2001 Dodge Ram 3500 QC 4x4 Cummins DRW
2005 Dodge Durango Limited AWD HEMI
2006 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI
2001 Sebring Convertible
1995 Miata M-Edition
1 Wife 2 Boys UW & Bellevue College
1 Trixie (Bichon Frise)
Only 21 years to retirement!!!!

twodog

arizona

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 09:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

J&J,
You've gotten great input from all. I hope I'm not repeating what's already been said. We aren't to say "google it", but some online reviews for kayaks/canoes may be helpfull.http://www.paddling.net/Reviews/ Certainly a test drive or two would help the most. I've heard tandem kayaks/canoes are also called "divorce boats" (HA) so you've been warned! Kayaks perform better in some areas than canoes, and vice versa. I have both. Once you've ridden a few demos, I think you'll have your minds made up pretty quickly.
Happy Trails.....

2dog
17' nash,pv,axleflip,hd sus w/shocks, yamaha gensets
t4r, arb goodies

LEN Retired

SW Michigan ( Two Paws )

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 05:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 3 person canoe, 2 person ocean kayak "sit on top" and a one person kayak. I love all of mine but each one has it's place. I hear alot of good talk about the inflatables and for a full timer with little room these are popular. Bill

06 GMC 2500HD Duramax, 2007 Holiday Rambler Alumascape Suite 32SKT,3 slide 5th wheel " SEMPER FIDELIS "
Jasmine, 2006-2013 RIP.

stickdog

29.820224, 81.94542

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 10:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We're not into WW just like a relaxing cruise but versatility was the main reason we went with a square stern canoe. She's wide and stable, I have no problem standing for casting, can carry a load, it can be rowed, paddled, add a sail, or mount an electric trolling motor. A bit heavy at 80# but still manageable.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
04 HitchHiker DA LS 33.5 RLTG
09 F350 CC DRW 4X4
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

mockturtle

WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/12 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a kayaker I find it very convenient to be able to carry my kayak by myself. I would not be able to carry a canoe. People I know who have tandem kayaks usually end up selling them. Cumbersome to load, hard to steer and they lead to contention between the paddlers. If you must share a craft, a canoe might be more practical because of increased space. Otherwise, get two kayaks. You can easily load two on your roof.

2015 Tiger Bengal TX
Chevy 3500HD, V8

JenniferandJosh

texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 10:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all for your recs! I love how knowledgeable this group is.

And as far as "divorce boats" go, if we can make through backing up the TT into our storage unit, we can make it through anything!

“Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.” -Jack Kerouac

traveylin

Rockport

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/12 02:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short kayaks are useful more in rivers and stream where maneuvering is a priority.
Long kayaks with a rudder are useful in lakes and bays where wind and distance paddled is a priority
A wet kayak has the water occasionally washing over and is not very sinkable
A dry kayak is not unlike a canoe, dryer but can be tipped over and catches more wind

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> kayaks vs canoes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS