|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> kayaks vs canoes

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/12 10:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

Isn't this a bit like selling an automobile without providing a title? Why would any dealer ship a kayak without an MSO?

It just depends on the state you live in. I'm a kayak dealer in Michigan - our state allows anything human-powered under 16' to be unregistered. So my boats arrive sans MSOs - but I can certainly GET them in about a week from my suppliers.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/17/12 08:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's nice to know, thanks. Well, at least I can legally use the Hobie on Secord Lake when we visit the in-laws later this summer.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI, USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/22/12 11:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

Thanks for the heads-up on BWCA, George. If I decide to enter that area I'll be sure to leave the mirage drive in the TT. Fortunately the Hobie still should paddle very well, too.

A few strips of waterproof Gorilla Tape (like heavy black duct tape) over the drive slot and scuppers will make the boat "smoother" through the water for long paddles!

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/12 08:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayak City finally emailed today to say the MSO is on the way! Whew!! What a relief. (Only 3 weeks after purchase, sheesh!)

No, there was not one in the folder that came with the kayak, I looked three times. And if there were one, I'm sure the dealer would have said to look for it there... they knew they didn't send one.

Thanks for the heads-up on BWCA, George. If I decide to enter that area I'll be sure to leave the mirage drive in the TT. Fortunately the Hobie still should paddle very well, too. And yes, I plan to wear my PFD all the time... and I'll pack a neoprene top in the kayak just in case I need it. I will have a flashlight and whistle at all times, too.

Shortline

Yukon OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/12 06:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

That's nice to know, thanks. Well, at least I can legally use the Hobie on Secord Lake when we visit the in-laws later this summer.

Been there, done that-Have you checked your owners manual? Many boats come with the MSO in the owners manual-My Old Town did, just fill in the blanks, and go. I have also requested a MSO from companies before on other boats, never had to have a "dealer" request them. If you're ever in OKC, hit up OKC Kayak downtown, I bet they can help you out getting one. Registering in OK is sometimes a hassle. As a last resort, there is a proceedure for registering it without paperwork, by having them do a VIN check on site. Check around on the Kayak forums, I know there are several "paddle friendly" Tag Agencies in the OKC Metro, that most of us here use, because they know how to handle it-Some tag places just don't do enough of them to really know how to get it done. Might check out the Flatwater Paddlers Yahoo group, there's some folks from the Tulsa area on there, who surely could point you in the right direction. Good luck, come hit the water with us some day!

2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 5.7L Hemi 4x4. 2010 KZ Coyote CL232SS. Perfect for our Mountain Bike and Kayak adventures!
My work tow vehicle is a group of 16 cylinder General Motors diesels rated to tow around 14,000 TONS. I don't need no weight police!

georgelesley

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 05/20/12 10:32am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rexlion, not sure pedal assisted kayaks (or any other watercraft) would be legal in the BWCA, oars, even on canoes are not, according to the local rangers. No mechanical advantage device is allowed according to them. Outside the BWCA you should be fine. To the OP, on small lakes either should be fine, the wife and I do both, both have a place. If you opt for a canoe, get one with a broad beam, not a skinny racing type if you are beginners, ALWAYS wear a life jacket. We lose a few idiots up here every year that think they are good enough swimmers to not need a life jacket while in a canoe/kayak.

George & Lesley
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A

okraman

White Hall, AR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/03/12 10:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you are in Texas, if you are near Austin, Houston or San Marcos check out Austin Canoe and Kayak. They carry canoes, inflatables and kayaks. I haven't been to their stores, but I have ordered paddling accessories from them. As others have said Paddling.net and the We-no-nah catalog are good resources. Good luck on your decision. We've been camping and paddling since 1976.

2010 Dodge Laramie 2500HD, CC, 6.7L CTD, 3.73, 4X4
'05 Jayco Eagle 298 BHS
16' Nova Craft Prospector Canoe

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 01:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadgum it, I was 13 months too early with my kayak purchase! I even paid a little extra to get it stickered through 2015! Thanks for the info, it's good to know.

Took my yak out this morning for its maiden voyage... all went well.

Shortline

Yukon OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/29/12 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just as an update for you-Oklahoma HB 3093 passed this week, which is good news to most paddlers-This bill does away with registering canoes/kayaks. Unfortunately, it doesn't take effect until June 2013.....so, you COULD register your boat, or you COULD just be judicious where you paddle it (We like to go to Arkansas and Missouri anyway...) until the law goes in effect next year, and skip the registration entirely. Your call....

rexlion wrote:

rexlion wrote:

I now have a Hobie Mirage Sport being shipped to me. It's a sit-on-top style, so it's easy to get on and off. Looking forward to pedaling all over the lakes in MN this summer.

My Hobie kayak arrived May 8, and it looks great. But I can't use it!

I bought it on ebay April 30 from Adventure Sports/Kayak City of Sacramento CA as a slightly used demo. On May 1 I let them know by email that my state requires registration of the kayak, and please send a Manufacturer's Statement of Origin (MSO, the standard document). I called them on May 9 and they said they would get the MSO from Hobie. I tried asking Hobie if they could send it directly to me, but they said the dealer has to request it. Called Kayak City again today, they say still no MSO. In the meantime I can't legally use this kayak... and my big vacation to the waters of northern Minnesota fast approaches!

Isn't this a bit like selling an automobile without providing a title? Why would any dealer ship a kayak without an MSO?

Shortline

Yukon OK

View Profile

Posted: 05/30/12 11:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh well, consider it the cost of sleeping well at night! Frankly,except for the hassle of actually GETTING them registered, I rather like having them registered, my thinking is having a reg number on the side (we painted ours on) might help prevent it from being stolen when out of state.....in fact, since its no longer required as of next year, I might paint on some bogus numbers anyway on all my boats! (once it's no longer required, I don't think it would be "falsifying a registration", since it's not required to BE registered).....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> kayaks vs canoes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS