|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Weight police in BC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Kidoo

Chicoutimi, Qu├ębec, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/23/12 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anybody ever got stopped or checked by the Weight inspector in BC? Especially on the Casiar highway down through Prince George? There was a discussion on this but we mainly read that someone know someone that was bla bla bla.
I would like to hear the original guy and the result, ticket or not?
Stories in the last 5 years, not back in the old days when laws where totally different. And, stories about normal vehicle, not commercial.

I have a F350 with a slight overweighted camper, never got stopped anywhere in North America.

I know you could allways be stopped and checked, it could be unsafe, etc, ect, Real life stories please.

* This post was edited 01/24/12 03:50pm by an administrator/moderator *

Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

afraid of bears

Prince George Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/23/12 07:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like I said in another thread, I've never been stopped. The fellow working at the scales, when asked about what I could carry, told me something along the lines of, "We know what your truck can carry. Unless you look overloaded, we won't bother you."

VintageRacer

Tatamagouche Nova Scotia

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 04:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In BC, the law on the books references the manufacturer's GVWR as the maximum a vehicle can weigh. In BC, there are a number of weigh stations that all vehicles over a certain weight must stop at, including RV's and pickup trucks. In BC the enforcement is a little tougher based on a history of accidents with overloaded vehicles in the more rural areas, mountain roads, logging, and migratory farm workers. If you go there and are over-weight, you'll be illegal and stand a chance of being stopped, and you'll probably stand a chance of having a problem if you have to go into one of the mandatory weigh stations (there aren't that many of them). On the other hand, I doubt that every cop has a set of scales in the trunk, or that they have all the GVWR for every model and year of pickup memorized. But yes, it's true that in that province the GVRW is the max weight allowed and any modifications you may have made to your truck don't count. Just the manufacturers GVWR sticker counts.

Brian

2005 F250 Supercab, Powerstroke, 5 speed automatic, 3.73 gears.
20 ft race car hauler, Lola T440 Formula Ford, NTM MK4 Sports Racer
1980 MCI MC-5C highway coach conversion
2004 Travelhawk 8' Truck Camper

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 08:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting topic!
We live in Washington state and have driven our overloaded truck camper into and through BC.
Our TC is 800 lbs over GVWR. It's been to Keywest, Fl. all western and most southern states.
Through BC to Alaska. and back.
After reading this and looking at the following link I think we have pushed our luck and will not be returning to BC.

BC GVWR

DG
Former user name: "Lots of Stuff"
2014 Jeep Patriot
Future folding trailer or ?

crabbin cabin

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/12 09:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The OP has asked a specific question - Who has been stopped? No one yet has answered the question or even stayed on topic.

AS for the RVer driving a known overloaded TC - I doubt that BC will miss him and I will feel safer knowing he is not on "my" roads!!

C-172-AV8R

Duncan B.C. Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/12 11:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RVs do not need to stop at weigh stations...We also have mobile enforcemennt officers that could pull you over in thier marked vehicles with all the lights and gear,usually only if you are obviously overweight or look unsafe. They do set up occasionly at remote sites with the R.C.M.P to do vehicle safety checks and driver documents.Other than commercial trucks I have never seen anyone checked unless they needed to be stopped...Mike

Pacific Islanders
Abby's Doghouse... 31'Winnibago Chieftain
Casara pilot
FMCA F371731
"Any Day you wake up is a good one"
Mike/Ulla/Abby

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 12:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The main issue is that your over weight for the Vehicle and you are knowingly doing it. There was a thread a couple weeks ago on the same topic where I said my piece about driving a vehicle especially in BC that is over loaded

The Link

Soup

2014 Open Range LF318LS Light
2007 Sierra SLE, 2500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Transmission

garyhaupt

Back living in Kitimat..northern BC.

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 01:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is an active Forum member whose spouse was sidelined due to a roadside inspection. I won't name them. If they wish to contribute, they will.

As far as someone knowingly putting others at risk with an overweight or otherwise unsafe vehicle? A pox on you. You'd best have a healthy bank account because you will get your ass sued if you have a 'problem'. And yeah...if you are a visitor to BC and are knowingly unsafe? Stay away.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

afraid of bears

Prince George Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/24/12 04:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VintageRacer wrote:

In BC, there are a number of weigh stations that all vehicles over a certain weight must stop at, including RV's and pickup trucks.

Okay. I give up. I cannot find this written anywhere.

I can find info that says that it is illegal to drive an overloaded vehicle, but I'd sure like to know where I have to stop.

Less Stuff

WA. USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 04:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes I know my truck is over GVWR when the camper is loaded.
It is also under both GAWR's

The truck is a 2003 model we bought in 2002 so it is 9 years old.
The truck has had several repairs but none related to being overloaded.
The truck has 155,000 miles on it and still has the original brake pads. They were checked a short time a go and the tech reported 70% life still on the pads.
The truck was still rear high with the camper loaded. In fact I cranked the front torsion bar adjustments up a half a turn so the truck looked level with the camper loaded.

Those who feel unsafe sharing the highway with me should not go to Washington state.
As I now realize we are illegal in BC we will stay away with the truck and camper.
We are not illegal in the US.

* This post was edited 01/24/12 05:20pm by an administrator/moderator *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Weight police in BC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: