|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Denver RV show - TC's are back

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 04:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, we missed last year’s Denver RV show (the year before that there were no TC’s at all!) but this year we decided to return to our tradition of going to the show and then heading over to Bayou Bob’s for some good Cajun cuisine (while the Saints were playing the 49’ers no less.)

This isn’t really a full report or anything, just some comments and pictures.

I was pleased to find out that Kettlesen’s would be back this year (after a 2-year hiatus) as well as 5-Star RV from Henderson. In addition B&B RV brought a number of Camp-lite campers (see a discussion on them here
Overall it seemed like a pretty good show – it’s hard to tell “how big” it was because they have the giant moving walls…..but it still seemed small compared to the “old days” 5 or 6 years ago, and maybe smaller than 2 years ago. But there were quite a few “sold” signs on campers and in a few cases saw as many as three “solds” on one 5th wheel – it seemed well attended by people.

The Kettlesen’s area was big as always. They had a number of Lance trailers and some Coleman trailers, and quite a few Lance campers.

I saw and said hello to the regional Lance sales guy that I have been seeing for years at these shows (Scott I think his name is but don’t have his card here) and also briefly spoke to the service manager. I think Scott winces when I show up because I’ll want to talk and I won’t be buying a new camper. When I described my camper to the service guy he told me that he has a photo of it from when I had a little work done there. I noticed that they still have pictures (though not a full story) of our rig in South America in the new 2012 brochure. I keep thinking they ought to have me bring in my rig at the show just to draw some people in saying “WTH is that? Let’s go look at it”….seems like it would be a good thing for them but of course floor space isn’t cheap. But it sure would be fun to sit in my camper and just talk to people about truck camping, Lance etc., and it sure seems like it might help sell to see someone who has spent 300 nights in the camper and see how the camper has held up to about 600+ nights including the trip to South America……

I noticed some of the Lances have this tag on them:

Which I guess is their official name for their “winter package”. I think it includes most of the same winter features that come on the LanceMax anyway but they now get the tag. I think my 05 has all of these same things.
They had a brand new 1191 but no 1181. Which was fine with me since I like to look at the new 1191’s and see what they have done to improve them.

They’ve made a number of changes that are improvements (I think.) Notice they now have a shelf above the closet for DTV or DVD units. I’ve already cut that space open on my camper to do the same thing – nice they are coming that way from the factory:

I also like the fact they have moved the HWH from under the sink, to up under the fridge where the water pump is:

Some years ago they started changing the water pump area from opening to the outside to opening from the inside…..the winterize valves (both inlet to the water pump and the HWH cutoff) are both right there, and I think it probably reduces the lengths of the PEX lines running through the camper. I am now toying with the idea of moving my HWH if it will fit….because I’d like to move the weight forward and also have the open space under the sink. I’ve wanted to replace the sink someday but the depth is very limited by the presence of the HWH under there. Good job by Lance moving it up front.

The rear of the 1191 has changed over a few years, including when the merged the 1131 and 1191. There is a much bigger shelf at the back now, and the stereo (including better connections for media sources) to above the sink. I also love the flip up counter section that is to the right of the sink:

I never have liked the U-shaped dinette, but I think a lot of people do:

Another thing that I think is really nice – and I think they changed it for this year, is the slide now extends further than ours. I didn’t put a tape measure on it, but it seems a lot bigger. I am not sure if it make the actual dinette wider, or if it just means it moves further out of the way…..but that slide wall sure is bigger (look in the above picture)…..you could sure put a very big window in that one if you wanted to (I added some small ones into ours later.)

Love seeing the guys from 5 Star. There were pretty busy so I didn’t get to talk with them about what’s going on there these days (just interrupted Jay once to say hello) but as usual they had an assortment of TC’s, including Eagle Cap, Northern Lite, and Northstar and looked pretty busy.

We only really spent much time checking out the Eagle Cap side door model. To me a side door is where it is at – so my favorite models out there right now are the side door three slide Host, the Lance 1191, and this Eagle Cap (plus maybe that Chalet that I haven’t seen yet.) We have generally not liked campers with the cave-like bedroom and mid-bath, but I tell you what – it sure would be nice to have the extra couch space at the back. For the first time my wife actually said that the enclosed bedroom wouldn’t bother her that much. Well, too late – we’ve already spent too much time and money on our 1191 so we’ll be sticking with it for a long time hopefully!

But wow, that couch is nice!

Giant fresh tank:

Nice basement - though I hate those cable remote valve pullers:

Now for a few shots of the Camp-lites:

Loved the latches on these things….very locking and positive:

It was a fun day at the show….and then went and had Fried Pickles, Blackened Catfish smothered with Crawfish Ettouffee, Red Beans and Rice for a side, and a couple of Abita Ambers and a Blackened VooDoo Lager. Yum Yum. Liked it so much we went again this last weekend after going to the Denver Stock Show.

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

Sixohh

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 04:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the big camper show in houston is coming within the next month or so i believe, even tho i have made my purchase, i am definitely going to go spend the day looking at all the new toys!

i will say one thing... if i was still in the market for a truck bed topper, i would be all about the camp-lite. i LOVE the way those things look inside and out! thats my style right there

2011 Dutchman Razorback 2150 with all the goodies

Tow Rig- 07' 2500 Dodge 5.9 4x4 LWB
Airdog,Exergy Injectors,Compound Turbos, ARP, AFE
Dunrite Trans,EFI Live, JL Audio, Pioneer Double Din

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 04:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btggraphix wrote:

It was a fun day at the show….and then went and had Fried Pickles, Blackened Catfish smothered with Crawfish Ettouffee, Red Beans and Rice for a side, and a couple of Abita Ambers and a Blackened VooDoo Lager. Yum Yum. Liked it so much we went again this last weekend after going to the Denver Stock Show.

Yum- I'd go just for the food!

I'm a truckcamper by philosophy though it's been a long time since I've owned one....
I guess that explains why I'm shocked at the $40,000 price tag on the Lance. I had no idea!

No wonder so many folks have to settle for a Class A motorhome, right?

Is the Camplite pictured one of the all aluminum campers?
What did you think of it, and did you notice the (gulp) price?

Thanks!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 04:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Francesca Knowles wrote:

btggraphix wrote:

Yum- I'd go just for the food!

Yeah, I do really like that place. Our friends are from Luisiana so I know it's good and authentic. On the other hand, we cook similar stuff (Gumbo, Ettouffee, Jambalaya) when we are off camping, so I'd always rather be eating it around a campfire....

Francesca Knowles wrote:

I'm a truckcamper by philosophy though it's been a long time since I've owned one....
I guess that explains why I'm shocked at the $40,000 price tag on the Lance. I had no idea!

No wonder so many folks have to settle for a Class A motorhome, right?

Is the Camplite pictured one of the all aluminum campers?
What did you think of it, and did you notice the (gulp) price?

Thanks!

See the other thread running on the Camp-lites, but yes, it is the all aluminum and composite construction. Definitly utilitarian looking, but also very durable, simple, and relatively cheap.

The 10.0TC model was listed at 22,426 "show price", the 8.5TC model was $18,918.

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 04:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sixohh wrote:

the big camper show in houston is coming within the next month or so i believe, even tho i have made my purchase, i am definitely going to go spend the day looking at all the new toys!

i will say one thing... if i was still in the market for a truck bed topper, i would be all about the camp-lite. i LOVE the way those things look inside and out! thats my style right there

It's really nice when you go to the shows and say to yourself "I buoght the right camper for us" and be happy with what you have. And then there is the seeing what the various brands do looking for enhancements you can make to your own camper. I had never even thought about moving the HWH up front but I think Lance did a smart thing with that change. You can steal ideas from the giant 5'ers or any other kind of camper.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 05:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sixohh wrote:

Boy, howdy...me, too!
Aluminum is my favorite building material.

I'm a trailer-toter right now, and I've been drooling over Camplite's all aluminum trailers for a long time...
My husband's been lukewarm about that idea, but now that he's considering buying a new truck maybe he'll "need" a new camper to go with it.

Think I'll go look up the "Camplite" thread the O.P. mentions...

George4

Highland IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish there was some truck campers at the St. Louis RV show last weekend. There was ONE truck camper and it was pretty bare bones.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 08:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the trip write-up and camper photos. I was working near Denver sevral years ago and got to attend that RV show. I guess that is the best consumer RV show for seeing the most truck campers. I don't know of one better.

Brad

Wake Up America
1996 Lance 500 and 2006 F-350 PSD 4X4 DRW
Our Truck Camper Photos

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 10:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It really used to be a lot better. I remember the first time I did a write-up on it in maybe 2005, there were about a dozen different manufacturers represented there, maybe more. It's really tapered off and most people here would say the Sportsmans Expo at the stock show grounds is better and lately that has been the case. But, two years ago there wasn't a single TC at this show, so being back to two fairly large attendees, and 5 brands is a step in the right direction! I'd hate to have to skip the show and just go to Bayou Bob's....

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/12 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure like the 1191 and the CampLite is pretty neat too.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!

A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Denver RV show - TC's are back
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: