|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Using a Sears water softner in stick house

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NavyDood

NW of DFW

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 06:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are not on a HOA. The water company does send an annual report but they don't test iron. I'm pretty positive the majority of what you see on the filter is iron with a little bit of sediment. There is brown staining in the tank with a minuscle amount of sediment in the bottom rounded corners. No slime. I do have an iron test kit. I just need to turn on the sprinklers to get actual well water. All my faucets outside are soft water. Makes car washing much nicer.

* This post was edited 01/26/12 09:15pm by NavyDood *

- Retired Navy Chief
- Vanilla 04 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 48RE w/MagHytec DD, Smarty Jr, 4" Exh, Modded Air Box, Isspro Gauges, Quadzilla RPG w/fuel pressure, DynaTrac front, Coolant By-Pass Filter
- 06 Pilgrim 30RE2SLF-5 13,300lbs loaded. B&W Companion

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/12 12:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a upper level sears unit and have had it for about 12 years or so. no leaks. only problem I've had is bridging. that is where the salt cakes due to water from below causes the salt to harden and then the water softener loses it's softening abilities. common in all water softeners. Just need to break up the salt and it's back to working again.

Mote

Westport, indiana

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/12 05:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we also rented for way to many years. Finally bought one at a local plumbing store and haven't had any problems since.

1996 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel
2001 Lance 1030

Charlie D.

E. Texas-Orange

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/12 07:05am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NavyDood has iron in his water. I don't think there are many, if any, places in Texas that don't have it. It also comes from the piping system used by the water company/city that supplies the water. You will often see fire water hydrants being flushed to help flush it out. IMO, it doesn't work very well.

If you see it in your toilets/bath, the wife uses WINK to remove it. Squirt a little of it and watch the stain disappear. It is a type of mild acid. Wonder what would happen if you used it on the filter after you removed it?

Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan

wagonmaster2

northcentral oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/12 09:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the replys. With just the two of use at home the smallest cheapest softener has always done the job so was looking at the cheapest Sears. I might check with Lowes, especially who they hire to do any warranty service work or annual check-ups but not too thrilled with Whirlpool products anymore after our latest washer/dryer replacement. I understood Sears has their own company doing all this.

Wagonmaster2

camperforlife

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 09:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't go too cheap. At the bare minimum get one that regenerates by metering the amount of water used. They will pay for themselves with the savings of salt and water wasted during unnecessary regeneration.

NavyDood

NW of DFW

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Whirpool that I got from Lowe's monitors usage for the automatic recharges.

wagonmaster2

northcentral oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/12 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperforlife wrote:

I wouldn't go too cheap. At the bare minimum get one that regenerates by metering the amount of water used. They will pay for themselves with the savings of salt and water wasted during unnecessary regeneration.

Agree, I never like to go the cheapest nor the most expensive on anything but the tiny are the builder left for the softener doesn't really give us much choice. Even though our current rental is an automatic the wife keeps track of how many days and how many loads of wash she does since the last re-charge and we just start the recharge as needed. Sometimes it'll only be two days later and sometimes 4-5 days. Takes a little bit of accounting but worth it. Would be nice to have one that meters water useage but don't think we have that much room to install one. Will do some more measuring. But you know the old saying " measure twice and cut off once", which I do and still come out wrong. Same with our small space, if I can't measure precisely we'll end up with a softener we can't install.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Wagonmaster2

atreis

IN

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/12 04:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put a Sears softener in my new house (now 4 years old) and it's a far better softener than the one in my previous house. IMO - don't go cheap. You'll find the better ones are more easily and accurately adjusted, allowing for significantly less salt consumption.

2009 Trail-Sport TS21RBH
2008 Toyota Sienna

NavyDood

NW of DFW

View Profile

Posted: 03/08/12 02:46pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's been a few weeks now... what was the decision of the OP?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire

> Using a Sears water softner in stick house
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS