RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Supporting a TC off the truck bed?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Supporting a TC off the truck bed?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Wvr3567

Roaming the USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 08:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What support, if any, is required if you want to camp in the TC off the truck bed?

The camper is a Bigfoot 30C 10.10 ESL.

Are the Happi Jacs enough support if one uses wood squares under each jac?

All input would be appreciated as I am new to truck camping.

Thanks, Bill

Photog101

Garden City, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 09:16pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will probably get many suggestions on supporting a T/C off the truck. Personally I utilize the electric jacks and 4 travel trailer leveling jacks with 2 2" X 6" X 50" planks.

I placed the leveling jacks at 45* angles toward each other and it seemed to help with the high winds.

We just had some 60+ MPH winds blow through here a couple of weeks ago. It weathered those winds well.

I can also collapse the leveling jacks and put the planks in the wheel wells so that I can utilize them at a camp site and have it very stable.

They also allow for very precise leveling, especially on very unlevel ground.

Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.

readytow

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 09:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used my camper several times off the truck, even with the slideout out. What I do, is lower the camper as far down as possible, taking care to watch the generator exhaust, and sewer outlets. I also use support blocks under all 4 camper jack legs. I support my camper on 5 or 6 lengths of 4x4's, under the center part of my floor. This works for me, gets my camper down on the ground, and it is very stable off the truck. I don't rely on my camper jacks to support the weight, I use the 4x4's for that. But, my camper jacks are used to keep it stable. My camper is a Lance 1181, so it is pretty big. So far, never had a problem, and have done this many times. Just make sure you are on a reasonably level area.

MrMuffin

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 09:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

readytow wrote:

I have used my camper several times off the truck, even with the slideout out. What I do, is lower the camper as far down as possible, taking care to watch the generator exhaust, and sewer outlets. I also use support blocks under all 4 camper jack legs. I support my camper on 5 or 6 lengths of 4x4's, under the center part of my floor. This works for me, gets my camper down on the ground, and it is very stable off the truck. I don't rely on my camper jacks to support the weight, I use the 4x4's for that. But, my camper jacks are used to keep it stable. My camper is a Lance 1181, so it is pretty big. So far, never had a problem, and have done this many times. Just make sure you are on a reasonably level area.

Thanks for posting this - we have an 1181 and I was thinking the same thing....wondering what to do....

Mr. Muffin

2006 Newmar Dutch Star 4306
2001 Jeep Wrangler or our Harley trailer

readytow

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 09:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have done this for the last 2 years, on 4+ hunting trips, and have had myself, wife, baby, and hunting buddy all in the camper without a problem. Was REALLY nervous the first time, but, after I got used to it, it works well. It clears the truck for going in the woods looking for game, and the wife is comfortable with the baby in the camper while we are gone. BUT, it is very important to start on a level are first. Can't stress that enough.

kawa900stx

Chico, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 10:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

where do you put all of those 4x4's while the camper is on the truck?

2002 Ford F350 SD PSD SRW Lariat CC LB 4X4
Vision's w/Hankook DH01 245/70R19.5, Firestone Airbags

2006 Host Rainer DS

Steelhog

Harvest, AL

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/12 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Harbor Freight jack stands and 2X6's. Obviously you sacrifice some fine tuning but a bit of extra slope to the rear sheds rain better.

mountainkowboy

Socal High Desert

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/12 10:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use screwjacks and 2 2x6's cross braces under the floor, it's very stable that way and easy to support it, even on uneven ground. I store the 2x6's above the wheelwells inside the bed on self made brackets when the TC is on the truck, so they are always with me. The screwjacks go in the front of the bed, between the TC and bed.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Hanna...R.I.P. Dixie we miss you
88 Ford F250-94 Alpenlite 29RK DL
96 Kawi Voyager XII 89K and climbing
71 VW Cabriolet-German Look

readytow

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/12 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put the 4x4's on the camper floor. Or, if they are to dirty, on the back floor in the pickup.

I Fish 2

Earth

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/12 08:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure about the 3000 series, but the owners manual for my Bigfoot 2500 says it needs support of the truck. I think it might have to do with the flexing of the fiberglass causing stress cracks in the area of the jack mounts. I've used mine without, but it's a lot more stable when supported. There were a couple of years, (my 2000 year model included) that were not built with enough cabover height, so Bigfoot provided an aluminum frame to set the camper on in the truck bed. I just use that under the camper, supported by a jack at each corner.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Supporting a TC off the truck bed?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS