RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: Caravanning?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
PackerBacker

Montreal (Qc) Adirondacks (NY) Myrtle Beach (SC)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The cost would be an factor for us. Tax in, we'd be looking at somewhere around $8,500 for 6 weeks of RVing.

Eric
2009 Holiday Rambler Admiral 33SFS (34' 3")
2014 Enterra 314RES (Cruiser RV) TT, Honda 2000 Genny
2014 Ram 1500 Quad Short Bed, 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed auto, 4x4, Line-X
FQCC/Camping Quebec, KOA, Good Sam

DocData3D

Williston, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 12:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are looking at a one way caravan. You leave the caravan at the half way point and head off on your own. Price is a lot less and you get an education/experience about RV'ing in Alaska before going it alone.

jmcarp

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/12 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PackerBacker wrote:

The cost would be an factor for us. Tax in, we'd be looking at somewhere around $8,500 for 6 weeks of RVing.

We did 8 weeks/9000+ miles for just about that amount last summer -- actually less when you subtract what you'd normally be spending at home. It all depends on how much you spend on the extras, like boat tours, sightseeing flights, etc. We did our fair share of that, but didn't go overboard. Campgrounds averaged slightly less than $20/night overall, which included approximately 50% of the time in commercial campgrounds and the rest in provincial and state parks plus a few nights of boondocking.

Jim

'04 Provan Tiger CX

PackerBacker

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/12 05:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmcarp wrote:

PackerBacker wrote:

We did 8 weeks/9000+ miles for just about that amount last summer -- actually less when you subtract what you'd normally be spending at home. It all depends on how much you spend on the extras, like boat tours, sightseeing flights, etc. We did our fair share of that, but didn't go overboard. Campgrounds averaged slightly less than $20/night overall, which included approximately 50% of the time in commercial campgrounds and the rest in provincial and state parks plus a few nights of boondocking.

Jim

Jim,

Another cost not included in the approx $8500 cost is fuel. As well, the added expense for us would be to get to the starting point of a caravan and returning to Montreal. This would typically be another 6000 miles and 4 weeks or so while doing some sightseeing.

We actually thinking of doing an east coast Nova Scotia/ PEI caravan.

... Eric

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All you need is the Milepost and Mike & Terri Church's book, Alaskan Camping (which includes Canada, also) for an excellent camping guide. It includes RV parks, state parks and beautiful pull-off-the-side-of-the-road places. Like was said before - you can't get lost on the trip - there are few roads. We like an unstructured type of traveling. Have fun!

Full-Timers for 16 Years
.... Now Seasonal
2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
2014 Chevy Equinox
2004 Jeep Liberty - for our fun

jmcarp

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/12 10:08am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PackerBacker wrote:

jmcarp wrote:

PackerBacker wrote:

We did 8 weeks/9000+ miles for just about that amount last summer...
Jim

Jim,
Another cost not included in the approx $8500 cost is fuel. As well, the added expense for us would be to get to the starting point of a caravan and returning to Montreal.
... Eric

Hi Eric,
Our cost included gas, but we drive a 19-ft Class C which I'm sure gets better mileage than the Class A coach in your signature photo . You probably already know this, but you'd probably save a few bucks on fuel if you ducked down into the States and drove across I-80/I-90/I-94 to Montana and re-entered at Coutts in order to take advantage of our "cheap" fuel.

Jim

PackerBacker

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/12 10:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Jim,

None of these things get good mileage.

We're a couple years away from taking on the Alaska trip. When we do go, we're looking at about a 3 month adventure.

... Eric

Duke-44

Wyoming Rockies

View Profile

Posted: 02/09/12 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 2008 my wife and I were invited to go with two other couples who were best friends for 20-30 yrs. We were not able to go then, butwe were able in 2009. I worried about almost everything, from where to stay, what to do and going it alone.
I talked to each of the couples separately to ask advice. What I found most interesting was that their trip together almost broke up their friendship. They could not agree on where to go or what to do, when.

Anyway, we went by ourselves in our 5th wheel with a current Milepost book as a guide. We had no problems on our 10,000 mile round trip, except I wanted to stay longer than the 6 wks. We stayed where we wanted. And if we wanted to stay in a place we liked a couple of days longer, we did. If we didn't want to eat out, we ate in. But, we only had each other to accomodate. My wife and I got along better on the trip than we do at home. We met wonderful people. and some we were not trilled to be around. If we didn't like them we could move on. We were not stuck in a caravan.

We had wonderful trip. The only way I would go with someone else is if it were with our married children or some of my brothers, as we nave a close family

Do not be apprehensive about going on your own, unless you have some sort of physical limitations. BTW we are 60 yrs old.

jmcarp

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/09/12 07:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Duke-44 wrote:

...Anyway, we went by ourselves in our 5th wheel with a current Milepost book as a guide. We had no problems on our 10,000 mile round trip, except I wanted to stay longer than the 6 wks. We stayed where we wanted. And if we wanted to stay in a place we liked a couple of days longer, we did. If we didn't want to eat out, we ate in. But, we only had each other to accomodate. My wife and I got along better on the trip than we do at home. We met wonderful people. and some we were not trilled to be around. If we didn't like them we could move on. We were not stuck in a caravan...

...Do not be apprehensive about going on your own, unless you have some sort of physical limitations. BTW we are 60 yrs old.

That pretty much sums up our experience as well, especially the part where you said "My wife and I got along better on the trip than we do at home." We had originally planned to make the trip with some very good friends, but they backed out due to family considerations here in the lower 48. We're sorry they weren't able to go, but extremely happy with the way things turned out. We had a wonderful time just doing our own thing on our own schedule.

We realize that is not the style for everyone, but encourage anyone planning a road trip to Alaska to at least consider doing it on your own. Just make sure everything regarding your rig is in good shape before setting out, take it easy along the rough spots you're bound to encounter, and you'll do fine. Remember, it's an adventure -- treat every day, every discovery, and every challenge with joy and excitement. (BTW, Duke-44, we're in our late 60's.)

Jim

Duke-44

Wyoming Rockies

View Profile

Posted: 02/10/12 02:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jmcarp wrote:

Duke-44 wrote:

...Anyway, we went by ourselves in our 5th wheel with a current Milepost book as a guide. We had no problems on our 10,000 mile round trip, except I wanted to stay longer than the 6 wks. We stayed where we wanted. And if we wanted to stay in a place we liked a couple of days longer, we did. If we didn't want to eat out, we ate in. But, we only had each other to accomodate. My wife and I got along better on the trip than we do at home. We met wonderful people. and some we were not trilled to be around. If we didn't like them we could move on. We were not stuck in a caravan...

...Do not be apprehensive about going on your own, unless you have some sort of physical limitations. BTW we are 60 yrs old.

That pretty much sums up our experience as well, especially the part where you said "My wife and I got along better on the trip than we do at home." We had originally planned to make the trip with some very good friends, but they backed out due to family considerations here in the lower 48. We're sorry they weren't able to go, but extremely happy with the way things turned out. We had a wonderful time just doing our own thing on our own schedule.

We realize that is not the style for everyone, but encourage anyone planning a road trip to Alaska to at least consider doing it on your own. Just make sure everything regarding your rig is in good shape before setting out, take it easy along the rough spots you're bound to encounter, and you'll do fine. Remember, it's an adventure -- treat every day, every discovery, and every challenge with joy and excitement. (BTW, Duke-44, we're in our late 60's.)

Jim

Going it alone is not what it seems as there are many people along the way that are more than happy to help you. You will find that your campsite neighbor will jump up to help you back in or camphost is willing to help with info or advice. Many fellow travelers will stop to help out you along the road. We went up and back on the Cassiair HWY. which is a little rougher, but had no windshield or trailer damage. Most of my initial worries were for nothing. We made several one hour side trips that ended up being several days like Chitna and the fish wheels.. We could not have done that traveling with some one else.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS