RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing in Mexico and South America: Algondonas Dental Work...?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Algondonas Dental Work...?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
John & Angela

Full Timers in Canada, USA and Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 08:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had good luck with dental and eye exams in Mexico.

I could care a less if they are trained in the US or Mexico. Guadalajara is world renowned for the development of implant technology.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. 2002 Vanguard 22 foot Class C. Diesel smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer or pulling a 2009 Timeout Tent Trailer.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

moisheh

North America

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/04/12 08:33pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Mike: Far too analytical for such a mundane subject! I meant low prices and corrected that post. As for low prices for dentists being related to eye glasses: You can go to any non tourist city in Mexico and encounter the same low prices. You will also find too many dentists! But some of the clincis are amazing. I really think the low prices are just due to to the competition as well as lower overhead and probably lower education costs for the dentist. A dentist with a small office would probably pay a receptionist 150 pesos a day ( or less). Some do not hire hygienests. They do it themselves. A whole other world. The lower costs for locals are simple: Very few construction workers could afford a $1000 root canal on 200 pesos or less a day.

No one should worry about the quality of care any more than they would worry NOB. Ask others which dentist they used. Just like at home you need to do your homework. There are thousands of stories from happy patients who received BETTER care in Mexico than they had in the USA or Canada.

Moisheh

rchonly

Kingman, Arizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/04/12 11:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I followed this thread when it started and observed that most all are putting the cheap pricing in relation to the quality of the work.

The pricing has nothing to do with the quality relative to us as U.S. residences.

It's the value of the U.S Dollar to the Mexican Peso ( currently around 11 to 1 ) that makes it "cheap" by our standards.

The pricing for these services is relative to the cost of living in Mexico valued in Pesos not the U.S.D. If we compare the cost of these services and pricing to ours based upon percentage of the value of their currency and their cost of living it's very similar.

Over the years that I've been going to Algodones I've never felt I was getting inferior services or products for that matter. The same applies to my many travels in and out of Mexico since the 1960's.

John made a point about the superior quality of the Guadalajara Dental school and Implant technology. This holds true of that entire medical school they also have one of the best in the world vascular research centers there. That tidbit comes from a acquaintance/friend who is a vascular surgeon up in Washington State and teaches there for 3 month every year.

In my travels over many years I've found pride and workmanship are very apparent in most countries of the world. All you have to do is get away from the tourist traps, mingle with the natives and you find their value systems very similar to ours.

Roger

1991 - 38" American Eagle - 8.3 Cummin's w/Allison 4spd
(Purchased 4-15-10 w/5,600 miles on it)
99 Dodge Durango/SLT 4X4 - Toad

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many people who do not know about the Mexican medical and dental industry believe in the myth that all things Mexican are of inferior quality. Not true. I do believe however, that Mexicans aren't big on appearance in terms of "wooing" there customers with glitz and fancy surroundings (a generalization).

One myth that always comes to mind is that from Tijuana years ago where supposedly they would reupholster your car seats and stuff them with lettuce

In Mexico, every August, students from all over the world line up in front of immigration offices in Guadalajara and Monterrey to obtain their student visas for denistry and medical school.

Mexico specializes in kidney (1,500 per year just in IMSS), liver and heart transplants (40,000 transplants total in the last 10 years). A kidney transplant in IMSS costs $22,000 (u.s.) while in the U.S. the cost is $50,000 (u.s.)

While in McAllen in January, everyone in the park took day trips to Reynosa and Nuevo Progresso for dental work, many stated that the savings compared to Canada paid for their trip and more.

The big three all manufacture autos here in Mexico. If quality of workmanship were poor imagine what we would be driving around in. Funny though, Mexicans love to purchase the Big 3 thinking they are getting U.S. workmanship when in reality many cars are made just up the road in Saltillo at the Chrysler plant and the new diesel engines too.

We're all human beings and all have the same capabilities and characteristics. It is only logical that Mexicans are as capable as anyone else in providing quality dental and medical as well as an aray of other consumer goods.

We don't believe in malpractice and silly lawsuits and if the dentist office is setup in a bedroom of the dentist's house it is only that much more convenient and less expensive than a medical complex filled with an over-rated pharmacy, coffee bar, underground parking, and valet service.

And on edit, I guess I can be considered a stuck up gringo. My cardiologist has a special waiting room for "platinum" customers filled with wifi, flat screen televisions, minibar, and his office is on the third floor of a private hospital and is decked out in chocolate minimalist design with soothing fountains, aromatherapy and more. For $120 dollars he uses the latest equipment to take my blood tests, chest X-rays, stress test, EKG and some other electrical gizmos. Beat that!

* This post was edited 03/05/12 07:53am by qtla9111 *

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

bilmo

Fulltime

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/05/12 02:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mexican trained dentist do not have as much invested in education as American dentists. The dental schooling is shorter because they essentially begin in dental school rather that getting an undergraduate degree first. The skill of the Mexican dentists is equal to those in the US for sure and I and DW have spent a lot of time in dentists' offices in both countries and it is way cheaper in Mexico. Most disappointing was Canada and India--just our personal experiences.

* This post was edited 03/07/12 07:37pm by bilmo *

BillMoRex&Princess
'06 Chev D/A--'08 Cardinal 35 SB
Fulltiming since 8/93

daveB110

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 10:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Paying so heavily to a disgruntled Canadian dentist for what seemed like substandard efforts when a fine trip to the Yuma area could await you to set things right by simply heading a few feet over the Mexican border, well, seems foolish. Los Algodones awaits.

Don't be put off by the "don't go in the winter," because that is the perfect time for a traveller from a sun-starved climate to make a move. There are a mulitude of parking options for an RVer. As to quality, I fell victim to perhaps some inattentive dental maintenace on simply a personal basis, so made such a trip myself: a visit to a dentsit a friend had used and thought well of, last Friday, and a decision based on x-rays to have two molars and a wisdom tooth extracted. Impressions were taken and next day, Saturday, I was back for painless extractions.

Because we were moving east on Monday the partial was expidited and was ready immediately, which was less than 24 hours turnaround. The medications were bought on the Friday so I never had pain. My biggest problem was missing four "true" Happy Hours so far (due to the medication) but my beer supply likes it. Camped with us was a good friend and as a retired dental technician he marvelled at the quality provided and the time it took to make it.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/12 04:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just returned from our trip to Patagonia Lake State Park. It was a 15 mile drive from our site to the border in Nogales. I parked in the secure lot ($4), on this side and walked one block across the border. I spent a grand total on one hour and $80 in Mexico. They were very busy and I had to wait 25 minutes to see the dentist. He then painlessly filled my two cavities, no shot was needed. Half an hour later I walked out the door, 25 yards to the border and breezed through customs, no wait whatsoever and 20 minutes later I was back at our site. I saved $286 and could not be more pleased with the work they did. YMMV

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/12 07:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had a cleaning today here in Tucson, $89 (give me a break), and was told I have two small cavities that need filling. The guesstimate of $157 per filling jumped (without explanation), to $183 when I asked for it in writing. Came home and called my dentist in Nogales and was quoted $30 to $50 per filling. We have reservations at Patagonia Lake State Park which is 12 miles from Nogales so I now have an appointment for 1100 on day 2 of our next trip. The $266 (minimum), I'll save will pay for a lot of gas and CG fees. Just wish I had gone to Nogales for the cleaning ($25), in the first place.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Mexico and South America

> Algondonas Dental Work...?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Mexico and South Amer...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS