|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch Choices and Recommendations

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
SeaRayder

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just traded in my 2000 F350 Dually Diesel 8ft bed and purchased a 2012 F150 5/8 ton SuperCrew Ecoboost 6.5ft bed with max tow and max payload 8200 GVWR. My fiver is a 2009 Keystone Springdale 280FWIKSSR Dry Weight 7323lbs, Pin weight 1183lbs. The fiver currently has a Lippert 1621 pinbox that sticks out about 6" from the front of the camper with a Colibert Goosneck Adapter on it. I am looking at two bed mounted hitch options:

B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch using existing gooseneck adapter - Cheap and easy, will hit the cab if turned too sharp
Pullrite Superglide 15K - expensive and hard, but will not hit the cab

So if you have a 6.5 ft bed and are towing a fiver similar to mine, how close does your trailer get to the cab driving forwards? Could you accidentally make the camper hit the cab driving forwards? Do you have a slider and never use it? Do you regret the purchase of your slider or regret not getting one. Please include kind of truck/hitch/fiver in your response

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

-SeaRayder

PS Please do NOT reply telling me how I am going to die a in a massive fireball killing everyone within a 1/4 mile radius because "It's just a 1/2 ton!" or that I should buy an F250. I only tow this camper at most 6 times a year for short distances. I drive extremely convervatively towing. I have run all my numbers and I am well within the Ford towing specs and State laws. Thanks

Current RV: 2009 Keystone Springdale 280FWIKSSR Fifth Wheel
Current TV: 2012 Ford F150 Heavy Duty Crew Cab EcoBoost Lariat 4x4

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/12 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SeaRayder wrote:

I just traded in my 2000 F350 Dually Diesel 8ft bed and purchased a 2012 F150 5/8 ton SuperCrew Ecoboost 6.5ft bed with max tow and max payload 8200 GVWR. My fiver is a 2009 Keystone Springdale 280FWIKSSR Dry Weight 7323lbs, Pin weight 1183lbs. The fiver currently has a Lippert 1621 pinbox that sticks out about 6" from the front of the camper with a Colibert Goosneck Adapter on it. I am looking at two bed mounted hitch options:

B&W Turnover Ball Gooseneck Hitch using existing gooseneck adapter - Cheap and easy, will hit the cab if turned too sharp
Pullrite Superglide 15K - expensive and hard, but will not hit the cab

So if you have a 6.5 ft bed and are towing a fiver similar to mine, how close does your trailer get to the cab driving forwards? Could you accidentally make the camper hit the cab driving forwards? Do you have a slider and never use it? Do you regret the purchase of your slider or regret not getting one. Please include kind of truck/hitch/fiver in your response

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

-SeaRayder

PS Please do NOT reply telling me how I am going to die a in a massive fireball killing everyone within a 1/4 mile radius because "It's just a 1/2 ton!" or that I should buy an F250. I only tow this camper at most 6 times a year for short distances. I drive extremely convervatively towing. I have run all my numbers and I am well within the Ford towing specs and State laws. Thanks

I'm a big B&W fan, and would recommend them. I do know that my truck can not hit my trailer going forward, in either direction. Backing up is a different story. B&W as a company is every bit as good as their products, too.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2004 Komfort 25FSG Fifth Wheel
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 55 Year Member

SeaRayder

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

is your ball 4" ahead of the axle on your truck? also is yours a 6.5 bed?

Thanks

neal172

nc

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 12:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B&w makes a offset ball for there hitches.

SeaRayder

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 12:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah but its only 4"

greende

Syracuse,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/12 12:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

neal172 wrote:

B&w makes a offset ball for there hitches.

The offset is for the gooseneck ball only. The Companion is a fixed distance back with some adjustment of about 4" depending how you bolt the upright in it. If you truly are only going to use it a few times a year, go with the B&W.

2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

SeaRayder

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 12:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thats the way I'm leaning right now, the B&W with the 4" offset ball.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/12 12:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SeaRayder wrote:

is your ball 4" ahead of the axle on your truck? also is yours a 6.5 bed?

Thanks

Not exactly sure of where the ball sits in relationship to my axle, though I was told by B&W that my Companion, in the front holes, puts the center of the kingpin about 1.5" ahead of the axle centerline. Personally, I'd take another 1-2", but not sure if the base would have mounted properly. Would love to see B&W make a set of replacement side pieces that would allow just a wee bit more forward mount. My D'max is 4x4 Crew Cab short box.

Lyle

phillyg

Front Royal, VA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only know about the Superglide. It works but is expensive. You should look at the 12k version because you have a light FW. My Supercrew is 2004 and has the really short bed, but I can still do a 90 degree turn using the SG so it should be fine with your 6.5 bed. The pin should be just forward of the axle centerline, about 1/2 inch.

2002 Keystone Cougar 286, 8,400lbs loaded, pulled with a 2004 F150 Supercrew, 5.4, 3.73 gears. Retired and enjoying life

mobilcastle

OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/12 04:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you get the superglide you will never have to worry about hitting the cab-I had one. I now have an 8' box so I am now going to use a B&W Companion. One thing about a super glide is your pivot point is constantly changing as you back up and cut your wheels-makes it more interesting when you are backing in.

2010 Heartland 3670RL Mor/Ryde PB,dual panes,2-AC,
7000lb axles,G rated LT tires,38' high profile,
2011 Chevy 3500HD,Dually,D/A,LB,EB,4X4,
B&W Companion,GVWR-13,000

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch Choices and Recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts