|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> first trip with 19.5's and front mount rack

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jmtandem

western nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 07:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

That tire is held on with a cloth strap, which the moment it gets wet will loosen a little and you will get the mild result of the time bouncing up and down a little on the roof.

Bouncing up and down is the least of the worries. If the straps loosen that tire might join the occupants in the front cab coming thru the windshield. I would fabricate a mount, in front on the aftermarket and very cool bumper or something in the rear, perhaps incorporating the truck's reciever with an extension somehow.

If my math is correct, 29 Northwood employees on the roof at one time with an average of 150 pounds each is a total of 4900 roof pounds. That is a lot!

Roof tire issue aside, the bumper, tires and wheels are great!

'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.
'09 299bhs Tango.

fatmanobx

Russellville, Ar. Home Base

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 07:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nice looking rig...enjoy the weekend..

2003 Four Winds Infinity 37'
2011 Lance 855
3.5# Minpin named Darcy
Ford F250 Super Duty

Bigfootchevy

Bancroft, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/12 08:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are going to like driving with the 19.5 tires and rims.

Paul

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 08:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oops - double post

btggraphix

Golden, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 08:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btggraphix wrote:

fatmanobx wrote:

nice looking rig...enjoy the weekend..

Ditto - that is really nice! The tire might even help block/break branches that might hit the AC and other stuff on the roof. Maybe cables of some sort might take that abuse better than nylon if it happened much.

2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

Photog101

Garden City, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/12 11:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very nice looking rig.

Combat Vietnam Veteran Support our troops for serving our great country.
1997 Veri Lite RL1200 on a '02, K3500, CC, DRW, 8.1L, Allison, 4.1 gears, Bridgestone 225/70R19.5 tires.

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/28/12 01:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nkrantz wrote:

I was not aware that the nylon straps had any give when wet. I have checked that tire more times than i can count and it has not budged. Not saying you are wrong. I most certainly do not want that thing comming off. There are no wear marks or any proof of movement that i can see. Of corse this being my first trip out with the supers this is the first time with that tire. However i have had another tire up there for quite some time. Is there any strap you would recommend for this situation.

They do, I use them for securing loads on my front cargo rack and have to retighten them after they have been given a good soaking by rain while traveling.

The straps will work fine, but its best to know their behavior so to not get caught unawares.

Traditionally folks put roof pods and what not up on their camper's tops that likely can weight when loaded close to that tire, however, they're usually mounted on roof racks or other structures lifting them up off the actual roof itself so that any movement is transferred to the outside wall structure where the roof racks are attached vs onto the rubber-like material of the roof itself and the plywood (Or chip board, depending on MFG) underneath.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 01/28/12 03:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice looking wheels, bumper and rack.

I agree with the others that nylon webbing straps do loosen when wet. I have experienced it many times with my motorcycles/atv's and other cargo as well. Buckle straps loosen far worse than ratchet straps because the buckles slip.

Also, nylon webbing straps deteriorate in direct sunlight, which that strap on the roof will get plenty of.

The tire should stay with the truck at all times, whether the camper is on or off. With the tire on the camper, you have no spare when the camper is not on the truck.

I would mount the tire to a front bumper/hitch tire rack, that can also be used with or without the front hitch cargo rack. That way the tire stays with the truck at all times, whether the cargo rack is on or off the truck and whether the camper is on or off the truck.

05E350 6.0PSD
97F350DRW 7.3PSD 4x4 4.10 11' flatbed
98Ranger
69Bronco ATC250R CR500
20' BigTex flatbed carhauler
Callen Camper

92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6
B&W TurnoverBall, Curt Magnum V
HD Springs Bilsteins,
285/75-16E BFG AT on 16x8 Stocktons
4.56's & LockRite rear

nkrantz

Farmington Hills Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 11:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well had a great time and zero issues. The snow has been spotty to say the least this year but we got lucky. We were a little worried about the mud. I have to admit I have been a little unhappy with my 19.5's because of the ride and the way they have handled the ruts in the roads. But after having the camper on with them I have to say wow what a difference. The rig handles much better. I guess I will have to put more weight in the back when the camper is not on.

Whe went to Portage Lake camp ground in waterloo state recreation area. To our suprise there were actually 5 other campers there. The kids buit a snow man and a good time was had by all.

I think I will move that tire to just behind my carrier. Not only because I trust and respect the opinions here but I also want to add some solar panels in that location. Does anyone know of a manufacturer that makes a mount that I can just bolt to the 2" tube that my cage is hooked to.

here is a couple of picks for ya

AF 1140 2 optima yellow tops Honda eu3000 honda eu 2000 companion

2012 Ram 3500 DRW Roadmaster Sway Bar, Airbags, stableloads, superhitch, Buckstop bumper, carli lift, Alcoa's with 3970lb toyo AT's

SoCalDesertRider

Arizona desert

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 08:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Southwest Wheel sells a bolt-on spare tire carrier made for mounting to utility trailers that you could likely use to bolt onto your hitch rack. Go to the trailer parts section of their website and you will find it in there. I don't know how much it costs.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> first trip with 19.5's and front mount rack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS