RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Harbor Freight 800W Generator?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Harbor Freight 800W Generator?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
catallison777

West Columbia, South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 03:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. I feel the same way about solar panels. If I'm going to get one it is going to be the Honda eu2000i. Because I figure it should run the longest and be the most reliable even for the big price tag.

* This post was edited 01/29/12 07:11pm by catallison777 *

2003 Damon Ultrasport 3873
Onan Quietdiesel 7500
Caterpillar 3126E
Allison Transmission 3000
Honda EU2000i
1992 Jeep Wrangler(Towed 4 Down)

Admin

Channel Islands Harbor, Ca.

Administrator

View Profile

Posted: 02/02/12 07:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Moved to Tech Issues from Class A

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 10:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regardign the harbor freight Mini-Generator.

First: My rig needs a minimum of 1,000 watt generator (real generator) of 1200 Inverter generator to run the primary converter.. We won't even talk about the secondary one. Thus it's a touch small FOR ME.. some folks have smaller converters however.

Second, as I recall it is a 2 cycle.. Generally speaking 2 cycle motors have a much sharper sound than 4-stroke and are way more annoying, plus there is that entire oil/gas mix thing to deal with.

I'd avoid it.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

beemerphile1

I'm 58, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 06:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know why they post that 91db number but I can testify that it is incorrect. I have owned one for about a year and a half now. Here is what I have run with it successfully;
5,000 BTU window A/C unit
1,000 watt microwave
WFCO 8725P converter/charger
IOTA DLS-30 converter/charger
Vector 1093DBD portable charger

All the converters and chargers were operated with 50% depleted batteries.

I also have two Champion 2,000 watt inverter generators and an Onan 3600 MicroQuiet built in. The Onan is by far the quietest of them all. The HF 800 watt is louder than the Champion but not by a lot.

...a government big enough to give us everything we want is a government big enough to take from us everything we have...
Gerald R. Ford

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

kneal44

EAST CENTRAL TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i been boondocking with the hf 800 watt gen for two years now. saves propane on big genny. getting propane at a good price is a pain in the boonies. so this little 2 cycle gen does the trick. i hate mixing fuel but works good.
measured the wattage to 650 before the gen overloaded.

noise is minimal. on the beach cant hear it 50 feet away.

when u play in the sand .... you can get stuck

9-24-08 corpus christi padre island texas. wrecker had to haul me out!
'92 dp 5.9 cummins 190 hp....8mpg yuck!

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 09:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought about buying one of those 650-1200 watt (same engine/windings, but seems every maker rates it differently, and maybe it might have a gewgaw like a 12VDC output) two-stroke generators. However, after looking at a list of things, I decided not to waste a C-note:

1: You will need to pull and replace the spark plug right off.
2: You might need to modify the choke assembly, especially in colder weather, so it closes the butterfly valve almost completely.
3: It takes 50:1 oil/gas. Most have a cap that you can use to mix the proper amount of oil to a gallon of gas.
4: On most generators, it is good to close the fuel petcock and let the carb bowl run dry. Do not do it on this generator, as it uses oil/fuel mixture, and running dry means accelerated wear.
5: This generator is sensitive to bad gas.
6: Do not turn the generator on and off while it is plugged into load. It will do some voltage spikes (as per a couple people finding out on YouTube).
7: Some of the models don't regulate voltage well, so one might get 110, or 140.
8: 650 or so watts isn't much. It might be able to run a battery charger that uses less than five amps, but that is basically it.
9: They are noisy. So much that there isn't anywhere one can run one unless boondocking with no neighbors for a mile, or at a NASCAR rally.
10: Yes, these are cheap, but the low wattage and noise severely limits its use.

I wouldn't bother with the $99 special unless it was all someone can afford, or it would be something stored in its original packaging for an emergency. Instead, if possible, spend a couple hundred more for a four stroke open frame model, or ideally, get a 2000 watt inverter generator, which will be far more useful.

RVER

West of Boston, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/08/12 07:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Newbie here with Honda 2000 generator. I am even hoping I can get it started with the rope pull but once that is accomplised how do you charge the battery with it? Are there clamps that hook to the battery or just by having the rig plugged into it, will charge the battery? I bought it and realized I mostly camp in campgrounds with electric, so not even sure I needed it but was a good deal(brand new) so bought it. I have a chainsaw that I cannot start with the rope, others can but I cannot, need lessons I guess but..... worried I should have bought a generator with electric start. We shall see.

Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS with lots of goodies
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers and along for the ride is Ketzel the wonder cat.

Mootpoint

Somewhere in North America enjoying the life!

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/05/12 10:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Am I missing something? What is wrong with running the quiet diesel one already has. I would rather listen to the drone of that than the crack of a 2 cycle.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 03:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mootpoint writes "Am I missing something? What is wrong with running the quiet diesel one already has. I would rather listen to the drone of that than the crack of a 2 cycle. "

Sometimes it can be more economical to run a smaller gen when one does not fully need the large gen.

Running a large high wattage (5Kw-8kw) diesel gen when you have several hundred watts of load is not very efficient on fuel or even wear and tear (think extremely high repair bills).

Sometimes running a smaller gen with a load near the gens rated capacity will provide the best economical operation.

Besides smaller low cost gens could be considered throwaways since you don't feel so bad about tossing a $100-$800 portable than tossing a $3,000 built in gen.

Worse yet is spending $1,500-$3,000 on repairing a $3,000 built in gen.

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 11:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have one at work. Runs power tools well, and is light to carry. We call it "the weedeater", because that is what it sounds like the entire time it is running.

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Harbor Freight 800W Generator?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS