|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Banff and Jasper Area RV Parks/Campgrounds

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
johnwalkerpa1

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 07:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello All,
We are planning to spend several weeks next August in the national parks around Banff and Jasper. I'd like to find two "home bases", one near Banff and one near Jasper where we can park the rig for a week or so each, then use the toad to tour the parks and surrounding areas.

I need full hook ups with 50 amp. Also, will be travelling with another party with a car and tent so we also need a campground that allows tents (either on our site or separate site, does not matter). Good bathrooms and showers are a must for the tenters as well. Laundry would be nice but not required. Won't really use any other amenities.

Any suggestions?

rr2254545

MN, current Ca North Coast

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 07:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try the National Parks, there reservation center do not even open until early April for this years camping reservations. I would spend more time in the south than the north more to see down there. As I remember I only had 30 amp in the parks.

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
158 Campgrounds since we retired in 2009

pulsar

Lewisville, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 08:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The two logical campgrounds are Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court Campground in Banff and Whistlers Campground in Jasper. However, I don't think either have 50-amp service and, without reservations, you may not have any electric service in Whistlers.

Also note: there are certain "long" weekends for which possession of alcohol is banned.

Tom

AKsilvereagle

North Pole, Alaska

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The brief stint on my visit last September there were only a couple of campgrounds open in the Jasper sector area (one nearby Jasper and one between Jasper and Columbia Icefield), and it seemed most of the Banff side of campgrounds were open within Banff and Lake Louise areas but all the remote located campgrounds were closed for the season, however I believe all campgrounds are still open during August.

The two campgrounds I stayed at were at Lake Louise, and Whistlers Campground that is close to Jasper - both have excellent shower facilities as I utilized them ... in mid September time, Lake Louise had plenty of sites with electric hookup available as I did not make reservations, however Whistlers Campground near Jasper only had a few tent sites left available as I was out of luck with electric hookups because they were all taken.

I would definately make reservations knowing the days of visiting during August as I was told it is still peak season and very crowded.

I also believe the electric sites only provided 30 amp power from the site I occupied in Lake Louise.

1970 Ford F250 2WD Sport Custom (Owned April 1996)
390 V8 (27K Rebuilt Mi) C6 Trans (211K Original Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000(Front)
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000(rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G171 LT Series(siped)

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 08:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a campground (KOA?), don't recall the name, in Canmore just south of Banff we stayed at that was very nice. Also, a KOA north of Jasper, Hinton KOA, that was also very nice. However, that one was quite a way (30 miles or so) from Jasper. Don't normally stay at KOA's, but these were an exception.

* This post was edited 01/29/12 08:53am by zigzagrv *

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
'95 Tracker toad

96Brigadier

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 09:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you can make do with 30A then the National campgrounds are good, very close to all of the sight seeing. All campgrounds should be open in August, they don't start to close until the September long weekend. You can get reservations at www.pccamping.ca - the site won't open until April as someone already said.

In the Jasper area Whistler's is where most people stay who need hookups, if you can get away with power only then consider Wabasso Campground. That's where we always stay (this summer will make our fourth year in a row there), it is much smaller/quieter than Whistlers and only 10 minutes further down the highway.

Spending a week around each is pretty good. I love the area, scenery is amazing. If you are going to spend that much time in the parks then consider a year park pass, the break even is about 7 days (assuming two non-senior people and a car). You could also consider cutting a few days off of Jasper and add those to a stay at Lake Louise, with the remainder in Banff. The reason is the lower end of the Icefields Parkway is much closer to Lake Louise and there are some great things to see. From Banff and Jasper it makes for a longer day driving.

There is a ton to see but my "must see" in Jasper is Angel Glacier at the top of Edith Cavell Road (which happens to start 2 miles from Wabasso Campground). On the lower end of the Icefields Parkway the must see is Bow Summit which looks over Peyto Lake. If you are into a hike then hike to Bow Glacier Falls which starts just south of Bow Summit. There is little elevation gain, takes 2 adults about 1.5 hours each way. In the Banff area, besides the usual sites try to take in Johnston Canyon, the earlier you get there the better as it can be very busy in the summer. It is more of a walk than a hike, with boardwalk attached to the canyon walls.

2010 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Megacab Laramie, 6.7L CTD
Truck weight 8,448 lbs with hitch, wife, two kids, full load of diesel
2010 Keystone Cougar 293SAB
Pin Weight 1,800 lb, Trailer Weight 10,300 lb
(Loaded for camping w/ full water tank)

trigley

Central Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 10:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Banff campgrounds
You might consider splitting your stay into 3 components of about 1\3 each.
Tunnel Mountain near Banff
Lake Louise. Here the tenters would have to be in a separate, but closeby, campground which is fenced to protect the grizzlies from the tenters. Not likely you will see one near the campground, but they do pass through the area.
Whistlers at Jasper.
As others have said reserve as early as possible.
As for your requirement for 50 amp keep in mind that because of the altitude the parks are generally cool particularly in the evenings. Unless we get an unusually hot spell it will be unlikely you will need your air conditioning. Ours is the most unused part of our RV.

Dave1131

Edmonton,AB

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 10:33am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Banff

-Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court:
No fires allowed.

-Tunnel Mountain Village I:
Campfires allowed in designated firepits only. A fire permit is required: $8.80 per day (included

-A limited number of 50 amp service is available in Tunnel Mountain Trailer Court on a first come
first serve basis

Lake Louise

-Hard-Sided Campground: 1 **completely hard-sided** camping unit - no tent trailers or tents.

-15 – 30 Amps

Jasper (Whistler)

-15 - 30 Amps

I all depends on how you want to camp.
If you are using it as a home base you could try out of the park for more services.
-Banff area go towards Canmore (14 miles away)
-Jasper area go towards Hinton

Tons of info HERE

Have fun
Dave

2012 GMC Denali Dually,6.6 Duramax,Firestone air bags with wireless remote,2007 Lance 1131,2 Trojan T-145's,270 watts Kyocera solar, Morningstar Dual 25 Amp Battery Charge Controller.

johnwalkerpa1

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 06:09am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all for the ideas! I'll be doing a little more planning to see how long we want to stay in each area, then will make reservations. Thanks...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska

> Banff and Jasper Area RV Parks/Campgrounds
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS