|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> TT v fifth wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
APT

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both types can be towed well with the proper and properly adjusted TV and hitch. Choose one type or the other based on other criteria.

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

Lowsuv

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 08:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As is being pointed out in this thread:
The tow vehicle is the most important safety item in towing.
Given an unlimited budget a dually towing a fifth wheel should be the safest.
However in actual practice my 9200 GVW duramax towing my 7200 GVW (78% ) 21T Komfort is as good as a 11,500 GVW Dually towing a 10,000 GVW ( 87% ) fifth wheel.
The problem is most folks try to tow a trailer that weighs more than their tow rig.
The best answer is the lower the percentage of the towed RV to the towing vehicle the better it is.
My single rear wheel duramax is extremely safe towing most trailers 28 feet and less, but becomes marginal towing a 32 foot fifth wheel. Fifth wheels weigh more, period.
A single rear wheel 2500HD is a better everyday truck than a dually.
So for me it is real simple.

krev

Victoria, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 10:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No problem here, but we have a good set up

1 husband 2 grown kids
2010 F-350 Lariat King Ranch, CC, diesel, short box
2009 Arctic Fox 27T

steelpony5555

Copperas Cove Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 09:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LOL LOL Just because I said my 5th wheel runs down the road better on windy days does not mean to go out and drive it in gale force winds lol... Just here in Texas it is windy all the time. I am more comfortable in my 5th wheel then I ever was with a TT. There are days where I would not venture out if I did not have to with the TT when it would not bother me with the 5er. As a matter of reference I know I have taken trailers where few would venture. As a Verizon tech I have towed fiber trailers [just a TT without the furniture] and pole trailer [a little longer] in weather that many have not done so in. This I know because we had go on days that the Governor ordered people off the hwys. So I was out there towing trailers when most normal people would be hunkered down in there homes. So do not blame the operator in this case.....

06 Montana 3000RK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)
10 Cadillac CTS
Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

jerem0621

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 09:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We choose TT for simple reasons, I DESPISE stairs and I wanted as few as possible. So I got a TT, flat floor.. two steps from the ground and I am in my RV.

I think that the towability of the Fiver vs the travel trailer is mostly overblown. The connections are both secure and if properly loaded and if the hitch is set up correctly either type will not sway.

My next RV will be another TT with slides, probably around 35 ft. I will use a quality hitch with sway control, and I will not have an issue, if I do, I will fix it.

TT gives you a greater flexibility in your TV. You can use a Van, SUV, Truck, in some cases even a car.

Fivers limit you to a truck only.

Is one better than the other? NOPE not at all. They are both good and have their pluses and minuses.

ONE big advantage to my TT is that I have quick access outside. If there is a fire in the TT, I will just step out the door, I have one in the bedroom and one in the kitchen.

In a Fiver, if you have a fire and you are in bed you HAVE to go out of the window. I do not like the prospect of me and my wife falling 10 plus feet from our fiver.

Nope, TT for me for sure.

It is a personal decision.

People claim fivers are more stable while towing, thats fine with me, but a properly set up TT is very stable too.

Thanks!

2014 Chrysler Town And Country
3.6 Pentastar V6

"It's Kind of Fun To Do The Impossible"
~Walt Disney~

Slownsy

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 04:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In fiver you get more spase for same length.

Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

rbell

Mi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had both TT & 5th wheel. I liked the way the 5th wheel pulled but my 32' TT pulls just fine.
I switched back to a TT because my wife fell on the bedroom steps and broke her ankle last year so I had to go back home and shovel snow for the rest of the winter. While at the doctor getting her ankle looked after a woman came in with a broken arm that had fallen on the bedroom steps in a 5th wheel.
So I went back to a 1 floor trailer. I found in talking to people about it that a number of people have had problems with those steps.

Also I was nervous about having a fire as all the stuff that would catch on fire is between the bedroom and the door. My new TT has a bedroom door. If you go with a 5th wheel put up a smoke alarm and a fire extinguisher in the bedroom. You'll break your neck going out the BR window.

Where we stay in the winter I've seen 3 fires in RV's in the last 2 years. All were in motor homes though. They burn so fast it's hard to believe. In one of them their dog woke them as the alarm didn't work. I believe they had disconnected it while cooking and forgot to hook it back up. Very lucky & a good dog.

Dick

UWEBABY

TEMECULA

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dad, you never mentioned what your tow veh is, or will be. if you have a half ton, you will need to go the tt route, unless you get a very small fifth because of tongue weight. i have a half ton and tow a 25 footer at 6000 pounds loaded, no problems. my rig can handle up to about 8000 comfortably. if you are going to buy the 3/4 or bigger, sky is the limit for a tt or 5er. now i know im going to catch heck from ford owners, but i was helping a 5er back into a spot with his 3/4 ton ford 4wd dsl and the turning radius of the truck was so inefficient that he just couldnt make it. i have a friend who has the same truck and he is always complaining about its poor turning radius. you might want to keep this in mind if you upgrade to a larger truck.
good luck with your decision.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> TT v fifth wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS