|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> New truck bed clearance

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

so hooked up the new 2012 Silverado 2500 HD 4x4 to the 5er yesterday. Truck is still raked pretty good with all the weight on it (empty of toys but with full water). Measured at the rear bed corner I have 5 1/2". Triler is still pretty nose high, with old truck trailer sat perfectly level with about 6" clear and bed rails were parallel to the ground. I didn't measure up farther, closer to the pin but would guess it's close to 6". I really don't want to raise the hitch much more as I'll be even more nose high.

Thinking about my alternatives:
1. Leave it as is and be careful.
2. Install leveling kit on truck to lift the front about 2"-3" so the bed rails are parallel to the ground.
3. Flip trailer axles.
4. Raise the hitch/lower the pin one setting.

Flipping the axles is the least desirable as the trailer tows like a dream now and I really don't want to raise it up, I've never dragged it in driveways or in the dirt. As long as it doesn't affect the ride/drive raising the front isn't an issue, it's already too tall to go in some parking garages. Raising the hitch gets it up to almost the bed rail and will be ugly and might interfere with the tonneau cover I want to run and either way will result in even higher nose high stance.

What to do? What's the most "nose high" stance recommended? Driveway isn't perfectly level, but pretty close, so going to hook it up and pull it out onto the street and get it on a level surface.

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
'06 3005 Rage'n Falcon

jackxclan

bakersfield

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 11:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have my hitch and pin at max and flipped the axle's, I can go anywhere with no worries. My trailer has more tail swing and had close calls with the tail dragging. Ragen's sit pretty low.
I do have my truck level'd and that give's you a little more clearance on the far back top rails.

metal 07 new body 3500 dmax crew cab 4x4 dually
blue 06 Ragen fa 3405 800 watt 4 channel cal audio, 800 watt 1 channel orion mono block,6x9 mbQuart, 6.5 infinity and 10 inch kicker sub
red rzr 900
red 400 ex
black 250ex

HOOLIGAN # 385

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 12:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was about at 5" of clearance on my set up. The trailer was perfectly level. All was good until I found myself in tight spot in a USFS campground. I ended up scraping the underside of the fifthwheel as my bed contacted the trailer. I also jacked up my trim in the same event.

Lesson learned. My immediately adjusted my hitch to give me more clearance, but it put the front of the trailer up in the air. I was going to block the suspension of the trailer up. However I wanted the Chinese tires off anyway so I put a slightly taller tire on the trailer when I replaced them. That brought me up to almost level again. I am still slightly nose up but not enough that I am going to worry about it.

Its a little unsettling to see your pickup bed up tight against the bottom of your fifth wheel. 5.5 inches is not enough clearance, at least for me. I would correct it. I dont think you will see enough gain with just a leveling kit on the front of the pickup. Taller tires might help, or blocking or flipping the axles. I am with you, I really did not want to mess with the suspension either, but sometimes its the best solution.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2005 GMC 5500 CC 4X4 D/A
2012 Chevy 2500HD 4X4 6.0 3.73

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 12:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Leveling kit first of all, then see what if anything is needed.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

DrBaker

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 12:39pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Please keep us updated on your results. Yesterday I traded my 2003 2500hd SB/CC for a 2011 4x4 version. This new truck has some high bedsides. I'm a little concerned about what I will find when I hitch up!

2011 Chevy 2500HD CC/SB 4x4 Victory Red
2003 Crossroads Cruiser CF27RL
Champion Screamer, Reese 16k, and a Blue Status Symbol

johntank

Oxford, Ms 38655 USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 12:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know about your GM truck, but Dodges have a block between the springs and axle on rear that can be removed if your truck has blocks that can be removed too this could drop the rear of your truck 2" or maybe more. I heard from my dealer that they have done this on a couple of trucks a few years ago.

cpope84

Marshfield, MO

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 06:51pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What is recommended bed clearance?

2012 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn
2012 XLR Thunderbolt 35x12

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 03:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The newer GM (2011 trucks +) sit up considerably higher than the 2010- trucks did. I am sure there will be a lot guys making changes to their RV's after upgrading trucks. While the increase in vehicle height is one thing, I could have done without the change in wheel lug pattern. Why they did that I have no clue.

USMA Dad

Stuart, FL

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 03:27pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for posting. I'm interested to read what the solutions will be. I also thought of flipping the axles but hope there are other options. If my truck is angled nose down, the rear corner comes within an inch of the trailer. In fact, I nailed the undermounted utility light to the right of the king pin backing into a site with the truck angled down.

I have the hitch set as high as it will go. I'll have to look for the blocks that johntank was referring to. I had to buy a step ladder to keep in the bed of the truck just so I can reach the hitch pin and I'm 6'2". LOL! These Dodges are pretty tall lately.

Don Z.
'04 Dodge CTD 2500 SRW
'12 Jayco Recon ZX 39A
oh yeah, and the wife, kids, and dogs!

Diesel is cheaper than beer. Who's gonna stop drinking???

Member of the Masonic group RVTravelingMen

BobWanderer

Perris,Calif,USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 06:24pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The very first thing I did was install the leveling kit.
I used the Rancho Suspension torsion bar kit, which "re-clocks" the torsion bars a little so you don't have to crank them all the way up to gain some front end height (which makes the ride very stiff).
It DOES effect the ride somewhat, but not as much as "topping out" the adjusters, which was what I did with the old truck.
This is what my local 4X4 shop reccommended and I am happy with it so far. I guess what I am saying is that with the Rancho adjusters I still have some adjustment left versus being "maxed out" with the stock set up. I am going to get some longer front shocks since I think I am "topping out" the stockers and think that might be part of the ride issue.

Good Luck

2008 GMC 2500HD 4X4 DMAX CC
2004 Thor Wanderer Wagon 247WTB
2006 TE450 Husky
2007 Rhino Sport Edition

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers

> New truck bed clearance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers