|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> More Newbie Questions

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
reubenray

Pearl River, LA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 11:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We signed the papers for a new fifth wheel yesterday and will pick it up about a month from now. The dealer we bought it from is about 1 1/2 away from our permanent home. We are working out of state about 9 hours driving away. Our plans are to come in early one morning and while they are installing the hitch & brake controller we will be doing the PDI (I already have FlGuy's vesion).

We have also planned on staying at the dealers lot that night to further check everything out. This part has me concerned. The dealer's lot is way out in the country away from everything else. I am assuming that we would actually be locked up inside their lot. We are already planning a vacation in May. Would ya'll recommend doing the overnight stay to check everything out or wait until we take an actual vacation.

2013 Tiffin Allegro 31SA
2010 Chevy Equinox

Bill & Kate

Stone Harbor, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 11:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, I would think it would be benficial to spend the first night at the dealers. It will be a long day, and your mind will be racing processing all the new information. It would be particularly helpful if the dealer would let you unhitch it and set it up when help was available if you had any problems or questions. Likewise, hitching up the next morning with help available if you need it would be a big advantage. I would not worry too much about being out in the sticks - he must have adequate security to protect his dealership.

Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Molson (goldendoodle) and Sunny (parti poodle) (recently deceased)
2005 Ford/Quigley 4x4 E-350 Chateau Super Duty Van with 6.0L PSD ("Moby")
2012 Outback Super Light 277RL - 10th Anniversary Edition ("Salty Dog House II")

brirene

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 11:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One way or another, definitely check it out before your vacation. Nothing worse than having a vacation worried. If not the dealer's lot, then do an overnight or two in "camp driveway", just to make sure you're familiar with everything, and it all works ok. Downside to that is, if you uncover a problem, you've got to haul it back to the dealership. Good luck!

Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion,Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 12:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the only thing I would worry about is making the bed for that first night at the dealers lot. You have all the help and knowledge sitting just a few feet away from your new TT and I for one would not pass that up for any thing.

PapPappy

Wilmington, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 12:31pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most folks don't have this great opportunity, and I recommend that you do stay at the dealer for the night....and make a list of all your questions that you notice over the night....
As mentioned, so much better than finding out when you are hours away....or when you are on vacation, and have to cut things short.

Enjoy the night.....You may want to ask the Dealer or even this group, what items you should have with you when you get there.....such as sheets (what size?), and pots and pans, etc....A quick trip to Walmart or from your own kitchen cabinets will help you out for the night, and future trips.

A few things that come to mind....
Voltmeater, flashlight, small tool set, first aid kit, towels, toilet paper, some clothes,.....
I'm sure others can add more...

Bill & Claudia / DD Jenn / DS Chris / GS MJ
Dogs: Sophie, Abby, Brandy, Kahlie, Annie, Maggie, Tugger & Beau
RIP: Cookie, Foxy & Gidget @ Rainbow Bridge.
2000 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C, Ford V-10
Purchased April 2008 FMCA# F407293
The Pets

amxpress

Clayton, NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ask the dealer if there is a nearby campground. You could stay there the night you pick up your fiver.
This would allow you to hook up not only power, but water, cable, and sewer. If you have any problems, you could return to the dealer.

2007 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad Cab w/6.7 Cummins
2013 Palomino Columbus 320RS
Reese 15K Pro Series manual slide
Prodigy
Firestone Air Bags
Champion 3500 genny
M.I.L denied parole! Yeah!

dalmationlovers

Port Orchard, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 06:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check with your dealer about a place to hookup right there. I know of about 8 dealers here locally who have the ability to have new customers hookup to check things out. Ask, all they can say is no.

reubenray

Pearl River, LA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are a few more questions.

1) Will I need wheel chocks for all four tires? What brands are the best to get?

2) Will I need something like this for both sets of tires? Are these OK, if not what do you recommend.

http://www.amazon.com/BAL-28012-X-Chock-Locking-Chock/dp/B002XLHUQG/ref=pd_luc_sbs_03_02_t_lh

3) Before we take our full vacation I will get some diagonal stabilizers for the front and rear jacks. Right now I am leaning more toward these.

http://www.steadyfast.com/

4) Do I need to get something to put under the jacks for a bigger footprint? I read somewhere that the jacks perform better if they are not extended the full amount. So would a thicker footprint be even better?

brirene

midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 08:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

reubenray wrote:

1) Will I need wheel chocks for all four tires? What brands are the best to get? See #2.

2) Will I need something like this for both sets of tires? Are these OK, if not what do you recommend.

http://www.amazon.com/BAL-28012-X-Chock-Locking-Chock/dp/B002XLHUQG/ref=pd_luc_sbs_03_02_t_lh

If you get these, and apply them correctly, you should not need chocks under the wheels; these are your chocks.

3) Before we take our full vacation I will get some diagonal stabilizers for the front and rear jacks. Right now I am leaning more toward these.

http://www.steadyfast.com/

These are very good, as are JT Strongarms. You might try your unit before you buy, though, as many people do not have these stabilizers. It all depends how much movement your trailer has, and how much you can tolerate. The X Lock chocks will also help to control some of the movement.

4) Do I need to get something to put under the jacks for a bigger footprint? I read somewhere that the jacks perform better if they are not extended the full amount. So would a thicker footprint be even better?

You could try Lynx Levelers, available at RV stores or Walmart. They will not only give you a bigger footprint, but you can stack them to lessen the amount you need to extend your jacks. Also very useful for leveling side to side. Just make sure you've chocked you wheels, as they can be slippery and if your trailer moves the jacks can slip off.

reubenray

Pearl River, LA.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/12 06:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info. I was not aware that the "roto-chocks" did the same thing as the wheel chocks. I may just get a cheap set of wheel chocks for the initial test camp at the dealers lot.

So will the Lynx Levelers be able to support the weight without breaking? I figured I would get them for leveling, but was not aware they could be used under the jacks also.

Are the "Fantastic Fans" worth it and which vent would I put them on (kitchen or bath)?

Are the fan/vent covers necessary?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> More Newbie Questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS