RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Cabin fever, new old stove and new hobby?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Cabin fever, new old stove and new hobby?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
4gone

Mass

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 01:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been looking for a new camp stove to replace the cheap new style Coleman propane job I got some years ago. I wanted the "suitcase" style dual fuel stove I grew up with (and my parents still use some 50 years later) I've looked at the new ones for $120.00 +/- and they just don't seem any where near as well made. Not something that will last 50 years anyway.

For some reason I thought to check ebay. I found a lightly used Coleman 413e stove with the origional box and paperwork and paid $58.00 with shipping. I've been grinning since I won. Then I stumbled upon another, same model, never used, origional box, paperwork etc,so yeah I had to buy that too. I won't be using that one, or the new in box lantern I found from 1967, yeah bought that too. Now waiting to see about the slightly used vintage lantern I bid on. I can't wait to use the new old stuff.

Now I am thinking that I may keep an eye out for more vintage camping stuff.

The weather better warm up soon....

2007 Damon Daybreak 3276
2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Even Brake
Firestone air bags
Blue Ox Alladin tow bar
Hankook Tires

LewMichele&Paws

At a gas station in Cowlitz County WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 02:14pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice, fun, the winter months will fly by for you now. I've had a lot of fun with eBay over the years both selling and buying. I was hooked on historic postcards and I started exhibiting Type A behavior. Couple of times I had to hide the checkbook so the DW wouldn't see the damage. But it is a win/win situation for the buyer and seller.

'06 Ford F350 V10 CC 4X4 SB auto 4.10
'01 Arctic Fox 235H (5'er)

Don't lose your head...to save a minute...you need your head...your brains are in it...Burma Shave

States visited in our RV...

HuckFinn410

USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 02:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those old Coleman Stoves and Lanterns are very cool. Years ago my son and I found an old Coleman fuel lantern in a campgroud dumpster. It was sitting right on top and looked perfect....otherwise we wouldn't have grabbed it (not in a habit of dumpster diving, but this was too tempting to pass up). It turned out to be an early 70's model and only needed a little TLC and it now works great. I just love that Coleman white fuel stuff. We have now collected a few lanterns and a dual fuel stove and we use them exclusivily when we camp. I just hated the thought of throwing those propane cylinders in the landfill. They will probably last for 1000 years.

The coleman fuel is a bit more work to use but it produces a good hot flame and is fun to mess around with.

The hobby of collecting old Coleman stuff can be addictive....

2005 GMC 1500 Sierra Crew Cab Z71 4X4
2005 KZ Frontier 2405

robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 03:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got a Coleman dual fuel at a yard sale for $10.00. About a month later I found an old one, but new still in the box at Goodwill for $8.00. They both work very well and I use one of them nearly every trip out. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 04:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great scores!

Side note:

Don't you think it's a hoot that Coleman is still billing those as "dual-fuel", both fuels being essentially unleaded gasoline?
It was a lot harder to find back in the days of leaded gas, hence the Red Can of Coleman fuel...and people are still buying it!

Go figure...

As for old camping equipment-
I don't even want to admit to how much of it I have stored here, from lanterns to stoves to my collection of canvas Hilary tents....

We do still use the gear sometimes for group camping, so my husband hasn't pressed me TOO hard to get rid of it- as if I could!

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

camperpaul

Wherever I park my travel trailer

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 04:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coleman fuel is 100% naphtha (so is Zippo lighter fluid).

Regular motor fuel is ~10% ethanol.

Paul
Extra Class Ham Radio operator - K9ERG (since 1956)
Retired Electronics Engineer and Antenna Designer
Was a campground host at IBSP (2006-2010) - now retired.
Single - Full-timer
2005 Four Winds 29Q
2011 2500HD 6.0L GMC Denali (Gasser)

milo

4 Corners

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 06:39am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The older items are way cool still. We still use our 413e camp stove & 2 vintage lanterns to light up the campsite + we have 2 silver metal coca cola ice coolers.

Janet & Milo ...37 & 11/12 yrs 2gether
Mona Mo 8 yr old Yorkie & (in spirit) our Beagle
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26SAB

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/12 03:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My neighbor gave me one of the old single mantel red coleman lanterns that was made back in the 60s or 70s. Need to find some new seals for it as the pump and fuel port no longer hold pressure.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

PattieAM

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/12 02:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have mny grandparents old 'picnic' kit in my tenting gear - the folding 'stove' that uses canned heat. These stoves are being made again, but the new ones are flimsy.

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

My neighbor gave me one of the old single mantel red coleman lanterns that was made back in the 60s or 70s. Need to find some new seals for it as the pump and fuel port no longer hold pressure.

If it's been sitting around unused for a long time, you might try oiling the leather "plunger gasket" on the pump.

You can actually buy whole new pump assemblies that'll fit the old lanterns, too.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Lifestyle

> Cabin fever, new old stove and new hobby?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Lifestyle

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS