RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Huge, COSTLY mistake, I should have fixed it!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Huge, COSTLY mistake, I should have fixed it!

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
stubblejumper

Saskatchewan

View Profile

Posted: 01/29/12 10:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talk to a couple of glass outfits and see if you can find one that will drill the end of the crack and then use the chip repair process at the end where the hole is. It is not always sucessful and they will not guarantee it but when it works it works and if it doesn't you are no worse off. There is a company around here that does it and I have two that are being done in the spring. One in each windshield of course not both in the same side.

1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/29/12 11:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stubblejumper wrote:

Talk to a couple of glass outfits and see if you can find one that will drill the end of the crack and then use the chip repair process at the end where the hole is. It is not always sucessful and they will not guarantee it but when it works it works and if it doesn't you are no worse off. There is a company around here that does it and I have two that are being done in the spring. One in each windshield of course not both in the same side.

Stubbeljumper,
Thanks for the suggestion. I just might do that. We recently just came back from Quartzite where I spent my allowance on a new Aero 5050XL, Stainless Steel, 5" in and out, Straight through w/resonator muffler and tip for my CAT 330. It seems to have better low end grunt now. So, when I recoup from that, I will dive into getting this windshield fixed.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Tinstar

McKinney, TX

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 01:00am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought glass breakage was covered differently and would be a very low deductible. Have you checked with your insurance company?

Never pass up a chance to go somewhere

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 01:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tinstar wrote:

I thought glass breakage was covered differently and would be a very low deductible. Have you checked with your insurance company?

Tinstar,
No Sir, I haven't. But, we've not changed our insurance company for over 20 years and we had both sides of the windshield replaced on our previous coach, a '99 Bounder 34V a few years ago. Both of them cost me out of the pocket to the tune of about $650.00 each because they were below the deductible and since not all insurance companies operate or setup coverage the same way, it was no different in covering glass of any portion of the coach back then so, at this point in time, I'm assuming it's still that way with our present coach. The DW is going to call tomorrow to see if any thing's changed in terms of coverage pertaining to the front windshield. I suspect not.
I've heard of dozens of windshields replaced over the years from friends and acquaintances for no cost to the them. Apparently, we're one of the few folks on this planet that have to pay for windshield replacement. Our insurance is State Farm so, it is what it is. We've both got good driving records and have not filed any claims in years.
We elect to pay the high deductible for reasons stated. So, we'll see after the phone call.
Scott

Skid Row Joe

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 02:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good advice, OP! I picked up three tiny star rock chips in my 4-wheeler car driving 1,200 miles to and from Las Vegas, NV across I-40 from Dallas, Texas last winter. Rock chip/stars are inevitable. I have a couple on my coach's windshield too. I fixed 'em with the kit from NAPA and Auto Zone myself in the driveway.

“I want to die in my sleep like my Grandfather... Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.”

John&Joey

Some Location

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 03:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tinstar wrote:

Depends on your state. Some states have zero deductible, a few others you can pay to have zero deductible, yet most states still use the full deductible plan.

I come from MN and thank goodness I paid for the zero deductible. Woke up a couple a weeks ago and was going to wash the salt off the RV and car only to find this.

FWIW, at Wal-Mart they sell a cheap ($15) glass chip repair kit. I carry one in my MH for when we're on the road. A chip can turn into a crack at anytime and I figure it's best just to pull off and attempt to fix it myself. Knock on wood, haven't needed it yet.

Lobstah

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 04:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

demoon wrote:

I knew there had to be one reason to live in MA.

Zero Deductible States—FL, KY, MA, SC

If you live in Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, or South Carolina, you live in what's called a "Zero Deductible State." That means that your insurance company is required by law to allow you to purchase a windshield replacement using insurance with no deductible—as long as you have comprehensive insurance on your vehicle. If you live in one of these states, and have comprehensive insurance, it makes sense to use your insurance to pay for your auto glass replacement. Florida and Massachusetts only fully cover windshields, but Kentucky and South Carolina cover all glass replacement.

This reminds me that I need to check on this. I switched to Progressive last year, and when I mentioned the zero deductible for glass in Massachusetts, the agent on the phone told me that was NOT the case for RV insurance, and that yes, there was a deductible.

Jim

2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
2 Boxers
4 Cats

whem2fish

alvarado texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 03:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

progressive here is zero on glass

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 05:17am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check your home insurance, just might get lucky. I had a mouse eat some wires in my truck stored in a barn ,home insurance paid the bill.

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 04:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have Progressive on the Coach, USAA on the cars. Had the coach backed into the drive and the windshield made to much of an inviting BB gun target for a local delinquent to pass up. No cost repair (not replacement). On one of the cars took a road rock to the bottom driver side corner that over time developed into a crack that spread across the bottom of half of the glass. Not covered and the glass would not pass the yearly safety inspection.

Scott, I would give your agent a call and see if you have extenuating circumstances. The chip happened while you were away from home and you did plan to have it checked when you got back but the crack developed before you had the opportunity. Worst they can say is sorry, not covered or the deductible applies.

2006 Hurricane 31D aka 'Moby' the Whale
FCC(SW) US Navy Retired 1980-2003
Stella my Navigator
Bogart the All American RV Dog
and
Cocoui waiting for me at the Rainbow Bridge

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Huge, COSTLY mistake, I should have fixed it!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS