RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: White gravy for breakfast biscuits?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> White gravy for breakfast biscuits?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
robsouth

Metro-Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 07:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sawmill Gravy

"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."

Someday

Union, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 08:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Biscuits and Gravy:

For the biscuits:
2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 c. shortening
2/3 c. milk
Combine dry ingredients; cut in shortening until crumbly (like cake crumbs); add milk and mix. Roll into balls about 1/4 to 1/3 cup each, and pat down onto ungreased baking sheet to about 1/2 inch thick. Bake on middle rack at 450 until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Makes 16 average sized biscuits.
For enough gravy for the biscuits:

1/2 lb breakfast pork sausage (hot or mild) Bob Evans, Jimmy Deans or from the butcher
2-3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
1/2 C flour
1/3 gallon milk (about 6 cups)
2tsp. basil
1tsp. parsley
1tsp. salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste (about 1tsp.)
2 Tbsp bacon grease or butter
In large stockpot, cook sausage, making sure to stir to keep sausage in small bits (not big clumps). When cooked, add bacon grease or butter, melt add minced garlic,spices and cook 30 seconds more. Add flour and stir to absorb all fat from sausage. (All of the flour you add should stick to and combine with the sausage, you may have to adjust the amount of flour you add based on the amount of fat in the sausage). Stir in milk slowly. ( It will be a dough at first. Keep adding slowly and stirring till close to liquid then add remaining milk so evenly combined and not lumpy.) Set heat to medium. Stir constantly till thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

Notes: The thickness of the gravy is dependent on the amount of flour added. I don't really worry about measuring either the flour or milk added; I just make sure I add flour till the sausage fat won't absorb anymore.

Stephen, Gloria, and Rufus
2012 Keystone Outback 298 RE

"Don't accept your dog's admiration as conclusive evidence that you are wonderful" - Ann Landers

ETex2

E. Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my book there is a huge difference between "white gravy" and "cream gravy". The first has little or no taste; the second is made with a good roux and is full of flavor. The roux is the secret to good cream gravy IMHO. It takes practice but you have to get the grease the sausage was cooked in pretty hot while stirring in just the right amount of flour but try not to blacken the sausage bits. Use a whisk and do not stop stirring. The darker it gets the better it will be to a point, but don't burn it. Add in the milk slowly, still stirring, then add some salt and quite a bit of black pepper. If you can see that it gets too thick, add some more milk. Let it gently boil or simmer for a few minutes stirring often...... Then add in some crumbled sausage. The finished product will not be white, but more of a light brown.

One of the harder skills to develop in true southern cooking, but SO worth it.

rightlaneonly

CA..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mom used to make "esop gravey". Lotta years ago but as I remember she would cook the sausage. Remove the sausage leaving the grease, then pour in some milk, heat and spoon over biscuits. Healthy, no, good, yes at least in my childs eye

Leroy & Jane
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X and a 2004 Aliner Sportliner.
I wanna go where I haven't been,
but still wanna see what I've seen again.

Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 10:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My local Sam's Club carries a #10 can (restaurant size) of Chef-Mate sausage gravy. I divide it up into about 10 pint size freezing/canning jars and store them in the freezer. It has a good taste and has enough sausage in it.
Is it as good as home made? Probably not, but close. And its a lot easier.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Southeastern Mills Country gravy mix is hard to beat while on the road. If you have an Entenmanns/Oroweat/Arnolds outlet store near you, they usually carry it. We like it because it doesn't have any MSG in it like some of the other mixes. I add sausage or bits of bacon.

LindaAnn

Columbus MS

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 12:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with another poster--Pioneer is the gravy mix we use and it tastes really good.

While we like it for sausage gravy, my husband likes to add canned chopped tomatoes to make tomato gravy and I like to add chipped beef.

Super_Dave

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 01:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kemahsabe wrote:

Pioneer gravy mix is good, as well.

If you want really, really easy get Libby's sausage gravy in a can. It's good!

Last summer I bought the chicken fried steak patties at Sam's Club and covered with the Libby's can gravy. It was so good and quick.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Camper: 2007 Eagle Cap 850
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

Ole Man Dan

Gadsden, Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/31/12 12:12pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

chuggs wrote:

2 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Self-rising flour

stir together in pan to make a roux...letting it brown slightly and mix until smooth...

Add about 3/4 - 1 cup of milk...and stir constantly

Add salt and pepper to taste

Add in crumbles of sausage for a real treat...

I'm not sure about the measurments...but they'll get you in the ballpark. I just throw stuff together...and tinker with additional flour to thicken or milk to thin it out.

That's pretty much what we do... I just don't use a recipe.

terrillr

Fort Worth, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/01/12 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually use a mix of extra virgin olive oil and butter, adding in flour to make my roux. And, I use half and half instead of milk. No measurements, I've done it long enough it's automatic. I do typically use a pint of half and half, and add milk if I get it too thick.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> White gravy for breakfast biscuits?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS