RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: White gravy for breakfast biscuits?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> White gravy for breakfast biscuits?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Tiogafrank

Thousand Oaks

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/10/12 08:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try Uncle Buck's Cream Gravy Mix from Basspro. Not bad, stores well and its easy to make, you just had water or milk and what ever you want to spice it up.

Comes in a waterproof container, which helps keep it dry while on fishing and camping trips!

Not all who wander are lost...

http://yaquimagic.blogspot.com/

amandasgramma

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 02/18/12 09:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jtrent6415 wrote:

I brown 1 lb of sausage, remove sausage and leave the grease. I usually have to add about 2 Tbs more oil. Add about 1/3 cup of flour and mix with the oil over medium heat. After the flour browns I add about half a skillet full of milk.:-) Whisk until it almost comes to a boil. Turn off heat and add sausage back to the pan. Salt and pepper to taste(I like lots of pepper!). I also add a little onion powder for a little more depth. All of the amounts are guesses, for some people like me it takes a LOT of practice to get decent gravy....
This is my method except I add a tsp of chicken flavoring (bouillon type stuff)

rats1955

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/23/12 06:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do my sausage gravy a little different. I crumble the bulk sausage and fry it up. When the meat is fully cooked, I take it off the heat. I leave the cooked sausage in the pan and slowly add flour and stir to coat the sausage with flour. When the sausage is fully coated and put it back on the heat and add the milk. Stir to transfer the coating into the milk. Bring the gravy to a boil and then serve over biscuits. I can't make regular gravy, but this turns out good every time. The left overs I feed to the dog. He loves it also. I too like Jimmy Dean sausage.

2003 Arctic Fox 24-5N FW
2006 F250 4X4 SC V-10
Yamaha EF2000iS generator

AllisonAndrews

Stephenville, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 07:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do mine like a few other people on here. (The sausage gravy.)

We don't eat breakfast, so this would be a breakfast for supper type dish for us. Because of that, we probably use more meat than we would if it were for breakfast.

Cook 1 lb of sausage and break it up as it cooks. The sausage I use normally doesn't produce much drippings in the pan, but there is plenty still hidden in the crumbles. Sprinkle flour over the sausage. I start out with about 4 heaping spoonfuls. Stir and if meat is still glossy, add a bit more flour. Keep stirring for a few minutes to cook the flour (I will let it get a bit golden but I don't like to let it get dark). Add in enough milk to cover the sausage and keep stirring until it comes back to a boil (maybe 2 cups?). Let it boil for about a minute while stirring and then turn the heat way down. Continue to stir occasionally and it should thicken up nicely. (This is normally when I would turn my attention to frying up a few eggs in my electric skillet.) Time to taste test - I like to wait until some of the sausage flavor has infused the gravy - depending on the brand of sausage, you may not need any salt at all or just a little bit. I only add in a tiny bit of black pepper since I am not a fan of it. My husband will add more to his plate. I tend to keep it simple with sausage. With ground beef, I'd add garlic and onion and seasoning salt.

Normally ends up that everything is done about the time the buzzer goes off on the oven letting me know my biscuits are done (we like the frozen southern style ones.)

ALLISON & DAVID

Bailey - lab mix; Gabby - min pin
Nicolas, Mason, Vixen, Peyton, Morgan, & Sealy - the kitty klan
Preston - crossed the bridge 7/12/2006, Maddox (6/26/2003 - 7/12/2011)

NYCgrrl

USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/24/12 12:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I mix equal parts butter and flour to make a beurre manie and freeze it in a log.
This is the basis for most any roux based sauce I make including "white gravy".
Sometimes I add crumbled bacon, other times pieces of sausage. A lil sauteed green peppers and or onions( easy to do if you've made sausage and peppers recently) added in then a touch of heavy cream or sour cream or creme fraiche stirred in and I'm done. Got leftover cooked spinach? That can work too.

shadows4

Kansas City, Mo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 04:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our local Sam's Club carries Morrison's Countrystyle Peppered Gravy Mix. Wife and I think its great. Just add boiling water. MmmmGood!

2003 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,7.3L diesel, 157,000 miles
2004 Coachmen 278 RKS Fifth-Wheel
Reese 15K slider hitch

tomman58

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 06:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do a healther gravy I brown the crumbled sausage then remove it, drain the grease. Towel dry the grease off of the sausage. Put sausage back in pan cover it with flour thoughly, heat it up putting in skim milk stirring a lot I add tabassco sause and when the gravy is thick I put it over busciuts and cover with over easy eggs. this is to die for and my cardiologist doesn't have to be on call when I make it.

2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2015 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
Lifes short enough without bitch'n about it!

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/25/12 07:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AllisonAndrews wrote:

We don't eat breakfast, so this would be a breakfast for supper type dish for us. Because of that, we probably use more meat than we would if it were for breakfast.

Cook 1 lb of sausage and break it up as it cooks. The sausage I use normally doesn't produce much drippings in the pan, but there is plenty still hidden in the crumbles. Sprinkle flour over the sausage. I start out with about 4 heaping spoonfuls. Stir and if meat is still glossy, add a bit more flour. Keep stirring for a few minutes to cook the flour (I will let it get a bit golden but I don't like to let it get dark). Add in enough milk to cover the sausage and keep stirring until it comes back to a boil (maybe 2 cups?). Let it boil for about a minute while stirring and then turn the heat way down. Continue to stir occasionally and it should thicken up nicely. (This is normally when I would turn my attention to frying up a few eggs in my electric skillet.) Time to taste test - I like to wait until some of the sausage flavor has infused the gravy - depending on the brand of sausage, you may not need any salt at all or just a little bit. I only add in a tiny bit of black pepper since I am not a fan of it. My husband will add more to his plate. I tend to keep it simple with sausage. With ground beef, I'd add garlic and onion and seasoning salt.

Normally ends up that everything is done about the time the buzzer goes off on the oven letting me know my biscuits are done (we like the frozen southern style ones.)

That's how my mom made it. She was from Marlin TX.

2007 Tundra Crew Max
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Timbrens
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Us out West

Let's see...last night we stayed in......

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AllisonAndrews wrote:

I'm salivating....thanks for the recipe.

Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)

36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/25/12 07:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tomman58 wrote:

I do a healther gravy I brown the crumbled sausage then remove it, drain the grease. Towel dry the grease off of the sausage. Put sausage back in pan cover it with flour thoughly, heat it up putting in skim milk stirring a lot I add tabasco sauce and when the gravy is thick I put it over busciuts and cover with over easy eggs. this is to die for and my cardiologist doesn't have to be on call when I make it.

I make a healthier version by not using packaged breakfast sausage. I use ground sirloin and lean (white) ground pork (50-50) for the meat and a can of evaporated skim milk with water to get the consistency I want. 2T of flour or so. Season as you wish with Tony's and a tsp of dried sage or whatever you want. Serve over whole wheat bread or English muffin with a poached egg on top.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> White gravy for breakfast biscuits?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS