RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: White gravy for breakfast biscuits?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> White gravy for breakfast biscuits?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev
Sponsored By:
rats1955

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 02/26/12 12:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AllisonAndrews wrote:

I do mine like a few other people on here. (The sausage gravy.)

We don't eat breakfast, so this would be a breakfast for supper type dish for us. Because of that, we probably use more meat than we would if it were for breakfast.)

My wife and I when we are RVing often eat a big breakfast, skip lunch and have an early supper. I know I have a lot more energy if I don't skip breakfast. I am an early riser, that may have something to do with it.

2003 Arctic Fox 24-5N FW
2006 F250 4X4 SC V-10
Yamaha EF2000iS generator

AllisonAndrews

Stephenville, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/29/12 07:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rats1955 wrote:

My wife and I when we are RVing often eat a big breakfast, skip lunch and have an early supper. I know I have a lot more energy if I don't skip breakfast. I am an early riser, that may have something to do with it.

I'm thinking the early riser probably has something to do with it. We are night owls and if we don't have to go to work or to some other obligation, we don't tend to get up until noon.

ALLISON & DAVID

Bailey - lab mix; Gabby - min pin
Nicolas, Mason, Vixen, Peyton, Morgan, & Sealy - the kitty klan
Preston - crossed the bridge 7/12/2006, Maddox (6/26/2003 - 7/12/2011)

Tothill

BC

View Profile

Posted: 03/05/12 08:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NYCgrrl wrote:

I mix equal parts butter and flour to make a beurre manie and freeze it in a log.

This is the best tip I have seen here.

dewatkins

Dallas Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/06/12 11:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been trying for 45 years to learn how to make white gravy and I have had some excellent gravy makers try to teach me and I can never make it come out right. I used to cook breakfast for 50-70 members at work eggs, biscuits and sausage gravy, but my gravy was Morrison brand mix using that I can make wonderful gravy. Now that I am retired that is one of the things on my bucket list my wife tried to teach me last week while we were camping so next time I will try it.
By the way people at work hated the canned gravy, they would not eat it, when they are getting a free breakfast they can be picky I guess.

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/06/12 07:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like most, I like Jimmy Dean or Bob Evans Hot sausage to start.

1 Lb for up to 4 people. Add a 1/4 for each person thereafter.

Brown it up and as it starts to get done, take my spatula and break it into crumbles and small pieces.

Mix in 3 tablespoons of flour one at a time, sprinkling over the sausage. Stir and flip until you start to see the rue turning carmel color.
Stir in enough milk to half fill my skillet (usally a 12" skillet).
Keep on medium high, stirring constantly until it starts to thicken. May have to up the heat if your stove isn't great.
Bring to a slow boil (when you see the bubbles starting to surface if you stop stirring for a few seconds) and it should thicken up very quickly for you from there. Stir until desired thickness and reduce heat. Salt and pepper to taste. We like to add a pinch or two of garlic salt instead of regular salt. Pour over biscuits, cornbread, toast or whatever bread you like. Add Hot Sauce if desired.

Every time I make this they ask me to make it again when we camp with them in the future.

2011 Silverado Crewcab 4x4
2012 Passport 238ML

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> White gravy for breakfast biscuits?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS