RV.Net Open Roads Forum: How to seat 3 adults, 2 kids in a MH safely?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> How to seat 3 adults, 2 kids in a MH safely?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 09:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wny_pat wrote:

sowego wrote:

If the dealer is to install belts at the dinette make sure each strap of the belt is bolted directly to the floor and routed straight down.
I doubt the dealer would install seat belts for you. That would put him into the category of a Vehicle Modifier that would need special, very expensive, libility insurance. If your insurance company finds out after you submit a claim that your vehicle has been "illegally" modified and the modification led to injury, do you really think they're going to pay that claim? That's what insurance adjusters do in part for a living, find ways for their companies not to pay claims. And the RV dealer sure isn't going to get caught up in that!

wny_pat, already had that discussion with the RV dealer.

Indeed, they will not install belts on rear facing side of the dinette. I would have to do that myself (or find someone else to do it) if we chose to go that route.

Now, they HAVE agreed to install a 2nd seat belt on forward facing side of dinette, only because it was supposed to have two on that side from the factory, and does not.

Will

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

skipnchar wrote:

The 'possibility' of motion sickness when compared to the 'possibility' of death in an accident is a no brainer.

You are absolutely right, it IS a "no brainer"!
As one who has been prone to motion sickness during all of my 70 years on this planet, I can unequivocally say that the PROBABILITY of motion sickness far outweighs the POSSIBILITY of a fatal accident!
I speak, of course, from personal experience. I certainly HAVE been motion sick many times. I have never, in my 70 years, had a fatal accident.
NOTHING is ever truly "safe". You can only do the best you can. Buy good quality USDOT certified seat belts. Attach them TO THE FLOOR of the coach, or to the frame under the floor. DO NOT attach them to a chair or any other piece of furniture. If you attach them to the floor, be sure you have adequate backup reinforcement under the floor. No, one fender washer is NOT adequate!
As always, a good way to do it is to read and follow the instructions that come with the belts!
IMO, do NOT go to your local auto recyclers to buy belts. There is no way to tell how badly they have been stressed, and they might fail.
Yes, they CAN be tested, but by the time you buy the used belts, and pay to have them tested, you might as well get new ones and be done with it! Note that "hotrod", "racing", and "dragster" belts may not be USDOT certified for highway use, and aircraft belts also do not have such a certification!

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Toad 1: '06 PT Cruiser, Kar Kaddy dolly
Toy (and Toad 2): 2001 Dodge QC SWB, 360 Magnum, Auto, 4X4
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 10:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mowermech wrote:

skipnchar wrote:

The 'possibility' of motion sickness when compared to the 'possibility' of death in an accident is a no brainer.

You are absolutely right, it IS a "no brainer"!
As one who has been prone to motion sickness during all of my 70 years on this planet, I can unequivocally say that the PROBABILITY of motion sickness far outweighs the POSSIBILITY of a fatal accident!
I speak, of course, from personal experience. I certainly HAVE been motion sick many times. I have never, in my 70 years, had a fatal accident.
NOTHING is ever truly "safe". You can only do the best you can.

Mowermech, I was thinking the same basic thing when I saw skip's post.

Using the 'possibility of death' logic presented there, really NOBODY should ride in a motorhome EVER, except the driver and passenger!! After all, thats the ONLY two seats that truly have DOT certification.

Now, lets come back down to the real world we all live in.

If you installed seat belts on the recliner that would go down and mount to the floor......You'd have to wrestle/thread the belts through and up into the recliner when setting the recliner in its 'travel' position, and pull the belts back out/loose from the chair whenever you want to move the recliner around when you get to your destination. Not sure thats realistic, or practical (is it? Has anyone ever done anything like that?)

Sitting someone facing backward on the dinette seems even worse, 'cause of the very real, likely possibility that they'd be getting sick the entire trip. What to do, what to do....

Will

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 10:38am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Will
I can only add sitting back wards in not the deal breaker. Plenty of trains, subways and the like have rear facing seats. Unless all of your family members specifically have a rear facing motion issue,than the dinette seems to be the way to go. Especially if you only travel with a full crew occasionally.

Trying to effectively secure the recliner to withstand a crash is a problem in itself. Before you add seatbelts to the equation. Take the path of least resistance.

07'Duramax dually,12'Open Range 399BHS
Hawkshead TPMS,Hensley BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake
Blue Ox Bedsaver,air bags,Garmin RV760 w/BC20 camera
Arvika bike rack,Bak-Flip G2
5500 Onan LP,Progressive surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote w/8.0 Nissan
Vu Cube,Splendide WD

MustangGT

Athens, Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 10:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In the real world, accidents happen and people do get hurt, so your concern is real. But, in the same real world of RV'ing (my real world specifically) only the pilot and co-pilot wear the belts. My state only requires those two to wear belts.
So you may expend time, effort and $$$ for your peace of mind, but realize later that the extra belts are rarely used. IMHO

Mark, Jean, Paul & Lizzy (the mutt)
1997 Fleetwood Southwind Storm 34LS >
Thirsty, noisy & clunky. She ain't pretty, but she sure is fun!
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines." Enzo Ferrari

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Trying to effectively secure the recliner to withstand a crash is a problem in itself. Before you add seatbelts to the equation.

I agree, Lantley. As I said in initial post, I'm not trying to make it able to withstand a crash. Reality is that NO part of a MH is designed to withstand a crash, except (maybe) the driver and passenger seat. I've already accepted that.

I'm just trying to make it able to withstand sudden swerves, panic stops, and other 'emergency' maneuvers that I may have to do that do not involve a crash. Thats all.

For as rare as it is that anyone would sit in the recliner, I'm willing to accept the very slim chance of a wreck/injury, over the very, very likely chance of motion sickness with someone sitting facing backward at the dinette.

I realize that trains and other public transportation modes have backward facing seats. However, in those cases I think most are only intended for short rides, and most would not be subject to the bumping, bouncing, etc. that you would experience in a MH for long periods of time.

Quote:

Take the path of least resistance.

I agree, I'm just not sure yet which of these is that path, haha. I have to have a custom seat belt installed regardless, that the dealer will not do...

Will

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Motorhome manufactures usually install the number of seat belts to cover the sleeping capacity of the unit. In your case the sleeping capacity is probably 6 hence you have 6 belts, driver, co pilot, 2 on couch, 2 on dinette. So have you considered where you will sleep 5 adults and 2 children? Just a thought.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will I overlooked an important point of yours. You're not trying to withstand a crash as much as have everyone secure in the event of an evasive maneuver.

Gives a different perspective to the whole issue.
Makes securing the recliner more plausible.

willald

NC

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 01:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

othertonka wrote:

Motorhome manufactures usually install the number of seat belts to cover the sleeping capacity of the unit. In your case the sleeping capacity is probably 6 hence you have 6 belts, driver, co pilot, 2 on couch, 2 on dinette. So have you considered where you will sleep 5 adults and 2 children? Just a thought.

Hahahaha, good point, but yes.

Actually, the specs show that our MH with the bunks, can sleep a total of 8.

And, the 3 adults traveling with us, will not be staying/sleeping in our MH. We are going to a large camping resort on the beach, they are renting a beach house there (Ocean Lakes). Only ones staying in the MH will be the 4 of us (me, wife, and our 2 children).

Will

bsinmich

Holland, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 01:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=mowermech] I have never, in my 70 years, had a fatal accident.
NOTHING is ever truly "safe".
Quote:

If you had had one of those fatal accidents I bet it would be a lot more difficult to post on here.

Our Mountain Aire has a recliner with belts from the factory so there are some that are made that way.

2003 Newmar Mountain Aire, Workhorse W22, 2008 Saturn Vue, Falcon 5250, & US Gear Unified Tow Brake

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> How to seat 3 adults, 2 kids in a MH safely?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS