RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Pilot Discount Fuel Program Issue

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pilot Discount Fuel Program Issue

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
DrLewie

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 03:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new partnerhip between Good Sam and Pilot/Flying J seems like a good deal, but I'm curious if anyone else is as reluctant to join up as I am. The application requires both the user's social security number and bank routing number and the only way to pay the card balance is with a direct payment through the bank routing number. Now, I know about the promised security measures, but any attention to recent news tells me that "secure" databases are frequently compromised by hackers. Having both my SS number and bank routing number in a corporate database seems to be an unreasonable risk, even with the fuel discount the program promises. I've never come across any credit card company demanding payment this way, so I haven't signed up. Am I being over cautious?

Helimech

Chino Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 03:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I backed off of the offer myself. No Way. After all, the DOD has a secure database also and they are always being hacked.

poleclimber

So. Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 03:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree this not for me either.

Macktee

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 03:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any time you apply for credit you will be asked for your social insurance number. Either you want the product or you don't. Macktee

04 Monaco Dynasty Diamond 1V ( Homer II)
2012 Ram 1500 4X4 Quad Cab towed
2013 Cargo Mate 28ft enclosed car hauler
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT
2010 Club Car Golf Car

ng2951

Louisiana, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 03:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest reason I chose not to participate was that Pilot jacked up their fuel prices. From what I heard this is a tax issue charging 18 wheelers more for fuel purchases. Pilot has those islands for 18 wheelers, and not all of the auto bays still have diesel at the lower prices. This has now made them the most expensive fuel where I commonly buy diesel, even more than the major oil companies.

On the other hand if you are buying gas, the prices remain pretty much unchanged and may be a good deal.

Your government at work making sure they get the most for their (your) money.

I use to buy diesel at Wally World when they had the dime a gallon savings. They dropped it to a nickle and I am not standing in line WW to save a buck a fillup.

Foard County News & Sassy Schoolmarm
with Lady & Chloe
2012 Unleashed 27SBU
2014 42 days camping
2013 39 days camping
'07 GMC Sierra 2500HD Classic 4x4 LBZ Duramax Diesel
Honda 2000sThe Bayou Bounty Hunters Cowboy Club
The Single Action Shooting Society

beemerphile1

I'm 59, I'm not a

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 04:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have enough credit cards including reward cards. I have no interest in carrying around another. Particularly one that can only be used with one business.

Here is what it says on the website;
"NOTE: This is not a credit card as payment is due in full each month. Payments may be made online or through an auto-draft/auto-debited payment."

That is hilarious, do they think we are that stupid? Not a credit card but you are applying for credit? It isn't revolving credit, but it is a card, it is credit, it is a credit card!

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it..."
Judge Learned Hand

2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900/1998 Ford E150 4.6L = 8MPG
2009 Aliner Sport/2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8L = 22MPG

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 05:07pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pen fed offers a cc with a 5% cash back on fuel purchases, no annual or daily limit on fuel purchases. That's what we use, so on diesel it saves between 15-20 cents/gallon no matter where you buy fuel. My understanding is the Pilot/flying J saves 3C/gal on gas, 5c/gal on diesel. Humm.... guess which card I have! And anyone can join the Pen Fed credit union.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 06:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Didn't get the new card but jumped through the hoops got theo discount card/loyalty card or whatever.
Yesterday the pumps still cut off at 75.00 and restarted it again. Wouldn't take the card the third time just like before we got the loyalty card. We did get three cents off. about 1.40 total whoopy do.
Three miles further down the Interstate diesel was 18 cents a gallon cheaper at a Velero. Same cash or credit.

az99

Pa.

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/12 07:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing to keep in mind is that most of the 5% off cards require pay at the pump. Any of the truck stops where you have to go inside to pay will eliminate the discount.

whistlebritches

Cherryvale, KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/30/12 07:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good reason to avoid those truck stops. We too, use the Pen Fed rewards card and get the 5% off on gas and diesel. And, they take the amount right off your bill, so you don't have to wait for a check or get a gift card. We love it. We just don't buy fuel at places where you can't swipe at the pump. The fuel stations are making it harder and harder to fill up any more.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Pilot Discount Fuel Program Issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS