RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: Banff?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 01/31/12 07:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JANETRUPP wrote:

We went this past summer and had a wonderful time. Stayed at St Mary- East Glacier KOA at Glacier NP. We then went up to Waterton Lakes and stayed at Waterton Townsite Campsite. Nice sites with hook-ups but very windy.
After Waterton we went up to Calgary area for the Calgary Stampede (been on our bucket list) For exploring the Calgary area we stayed at Cochrane at Spring Hill RV ParkNice clean park with large sites.
In Banff we stayed at Tunnel Mountain trailer court. Elk all over the park, beautiful
Then on to Lake Louise and stayed at Lake Louise Trailer Village. In Jasper we really like Whistlers Campground. If you book early enough you can get full hook-ups.
to book for the NP go to Canada NP Reservations
We stayed all summer and had a wonderful time. Made reservations early and got hook-ups and sites big enough for us. We have a 40' MH and then we had a tow dolly also.
Have fun it is truly a beautiful trip. Any questions...just ask
Janet

That sounds like a fabulous itinerary, Janet. We may just borrow it. Have always wanted to see Calgary Stampede ourselves.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

RedRam

Moved from the smallest county in Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/12 10:05pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

RedRam wrote:

We stayed a few days at Spring Creek campgrounds in Canmore while we visited that area.

Do you have a URL link I can look at?

These sound great, thank you kindly.

Yessir give me til morning as it's 11 PM here.
Thank you

04 Dodge CTD
08 Bighorn 3370
04 Keystone Springdale 245 RL

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 07:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed here a few years back.
Spring creek campground, Canmore,AB

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

RedRam

Moved from the smallest county in Texas

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/12 11:36am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are some directions to the campground and the layout of the sites.

Spring creek campground location and park directions

If this works i'll post a few more as they are too big to post here.

Campground

Campground

Campground

Campground

Campground

Campground

* This post was edited 02/04/12 11:44am by RedRam *

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 02/05/12 06:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These are great suggestions. Thank you!

96Brigadier

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 07:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

JANETRUPP wrote:

We went this past summer and had a wonderful time. Stayed at St Mary- East Glacier KOA at Glacier NP. We then went up to Waterton Lakes and stayed at Waterton Townsite Campsite. Nice sites with hook-ups but very windy.
After Waterton we went up to Calgary area for the Calgary Stampede (been on our bucket list) For exploring the Calgary area we stayed at Cochrane at Spring Hill RV ParkNice clean park with large sites.
In Banff we stayed at Tunnel Mountain trailer court. Elk all over the park, beautiful
Then on to Lake Louise and stayed at Lake Louise Trailer Village. In Jasper we really like Whistlers Campground. If you book early enough you can get full hook-ups.
to book for the NP go to Canada NP Reservations
We stayed all summer and had a wonderful time. Made reservations early and got hook-ups and sites big enough for us. We have a 40' MH and then we had a tow dolly also.
Have fun it is truly a beautiful trip. Any questions...just ask
Janet

That sounds like a fabulous itinerary, Janet. We may just borrow it. Have always wanted to see Calgary Stampede ourselves.

This year is the 100 year anniversary of the Stampede, so I expect a lot of "extras" to be going on. If you come in time then go downtown for the parade, but go EARLY. There is always a huge crowd (read: 300,000+ people in the downtown core). Get tickets to the rodeo, for me that's the best part. I could do without the midway, no different than any other carnival. The agriculture buildings are better, lots of little shows going on.

If you stay at Big Hill Springs then you can drive to the Crowfoot C-Train station and take the train downtown. $2.75/person each way, about 30 minutes by train from the Crowfoot station to the Stampede station.

If you need any local info let me know.

2010 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Megacab Laramie, 6.7L CTD
Truck weight 8,448 lbs with hitch, wife, two kids, full load of diesel
2010 Keystone Cougar 293SAB
Pin Weight 1,800 lb, Trailer Weight 10,300 lb
(Loaded for camping w/ full water tank)

magnusfide

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 08:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

96Brigadier wrote:

This year is the 100 year anniversary of the Stampede, so I expect a lot of "extras" to be going on. If you come in time then go downtown for the parade, but go EARLY. There is always a huge crowd (read: 300,000+ people in the downtown core). Get tickets to the rodeo, for me that's the best part. I could do without the midway, no different than any other carnival. The agriculture buildings are better, lots of little shows going on.

If you stay at Big Hill Springs then you can drive to the Crowfoot C-Train station and take the train downtown. $2.75/person each way, about 30 minutes by train from the Crowfoot station to the Stampede station.

If you need any local info let me know.

I didn't realize this would be a huge anniversary. My wife doesn't care for overly large crowds. We're interested in the agriculture exhibits and the rodeo. Do you think next year will be a more manageable crowd situation?

BTW that train service sounds fantastic.

JANETRUPP

Bullhead City, AZ and on the road..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 09:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The C-train is the best way to go to the Stampede. It drops you right at the door of the Stampede Grounds. The only problem we had was getting a parking site at the station. I had to drop my Mom and husband off and I drove around for 1/2 hr til I finally followed someone leaving. try to get there early.
We loved the Rodeo and exhibits. The nighttime show not so much. We had a wonderful time. Go to Calgary Stampede to get all info.
I also just read that no reservations will be accepted this year at Banff Tunnel Mtn Trailer Village. Strictly first-come. Still a great place to stay.

Loving our life. Hubby and me and Buttons make three (our baby,poodle)
Our Baby Buttons is now at Rainbow Bridge
Monaco Diplomat 40' 4 slide
2012 Equinox tow

JANETRUPP

Bullhead City, AZ and on the road..

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/06/12 09:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to mention...For the C-Train, you get the tickets at the station. They have a auto-mated kiosk which accept cash or credit card. Real easy.
C-Train
Route 201 Crowfoot to Victoria Park/Stampede Park Station

* This post was edited 02/06/12 10:23am by JANETRUPP *

96Brigadier

Calgary, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/12 09:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

magnusfide wrote:

I didn't realize this would be a huge anniversary. My wife doesn't care for overly large crowds. We're interested in the agriculture exhibits and the rodeo. Do you think next year will be a more manageable crowd situation?

BTW that train service sounds fantastic.

The parade averages 300,000 to 350,000 spectators every year. I don't think the 100 anniversary will be noticeably bigger, when there are that many people already adding another 10 or 20 thousand won't make a difference. This year when William and Kate were here they estimated a crowd of close to 425,000.

To get a good spot you need to be there several hours in advance, they do set up bleachers all along the route and sell the seats so that's another option. If that doesn't work for you then don't go to the parade at all The parade really is part of the overall experience though so give it some thought.

From Wikipedia:

The parade serves as the official opening of Stampede and begins shortly before 9 a.m. on the first Friday of the event.[36] Each year features a different parade marshal, chosen to reflect the public's interests at that time. Politicians, athletes, actors and other dignitaries have led the event over the years.[37] The event features dozens of marching bands, over 150 floats and hundreds of horses with entrants from around the world,[36][38] and combines western themes with modern. Cowboys, First Nations dancers and members of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police in their red serges are joined by clowns, bands, politicians and business leaders.[39] The first Stampede parade, held in 1912, was attended by 75,000 people, greater than the city's population at the time.[40] As many as 350,000 people attended the parade in 2009,[36] while the presence of Prince William and Catherine, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, at the 2011 parade as part of their tour of Canada increased attendance to a record estimate of 425,000.[41]

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS